Menu

Read the syllabus

Kareni

I like to post this every so often because it amuses me and because the message is a valid one.

Warning: The following link contains adult language!

If you are not easily offended, you might enjoy reading this piece from the now sadly defunct Rate Your Students site. The piece is entitled: We'd Encourage Future Students to Read the Syllabus, or Maybe Just Take Another Class.

Regards,

Kareni

We have students fill out a course contract where they answer questions from the syllabus. I have my students email it to me so they also can reach me since I don't have office hours. Class started Monday. I have 21 on roster. I have correct contracts from 11 of them.

I had one guy email me the contract and get my name wrong (question 1: the instructor's name is _______ ).

Sigh.

On the plus side, I have 11 students who can follow some directions at least.

I had to laugh when I read this piece, because my dual-enrolled senior was able to use the syllabus to win a grade appeal. Her professor miscalculated her grade. However, he would not admit that even though my daughter pointed out the mistakes with documentation in e-mails and a formal appeal. The next level in the appeal process turned down her appeal saying she could not have an A in the class, because her exam grade was bad. In her appeal to the next level, she cited the grading policy from the syllabus, which simply calculated grades based on a strict mathematical formula. Using that formula, she showed why had an A in the class. she won the appeal.

I had to laugh when I read this piece, because my dual-enrolled senior was able to use the syllabus to win a grade appeal. Her professor miscalculated her grade. However, he would not admit that even though my daughter pointed out the mistakes with documentation in e-mails and a formal appeal. The next level in the appeal process turned down her appeal saying she could not have an A in the class, because her exam grade was bad. In her appeal to the next level, she cited the grading policy from the syllabus, which simply calculated grades based on a strict mathematical formula. Using that formula, she showed why had an A in the class. she won the appeal.

If I could, I would "like" this on dh's behalf, too. He has similar stories to tell!

LOL. Don't get me started. I have scads of stories. I just weathered a grade appeal myself, but the student never turned in half the homework and somehow thought that they should be able to do that AFTER the semester was over just BECAUSE.

I wish life worked that way. Just say you're sorry, and no penalities or problems ever. Sigh.

Kareni, thank you for posting this.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or a bit of both since I have one of those students.

It is finals week at the public high school. Last week I asked my oldest son to pull out all of his notes for AP Euro and I would start quizzing him. The idea of incremental exam preparation regularly escapes the lad's attention.

"We can't."

"Why?"

"I left the book in my locker." Puzzled silence.

"Why would you need the book?" "You have all of your terms written out and your packet notes, right?" Interminable silence.

"You don't have any of the terms written out that were listed on Mr. M's website?"

"He has a website?"

Personally, I think his syllabi should be temporarily tattooed on his body until the term is over.

I reflexively used this phrase on a coop student a while back. Not only had I sent out the syllabus to the whole class, but I'd handed out hard copies and then sent another email to the two students who missed the class after we came back from break. This student called me the night before class to ask what was due the next day. Since there was a sizeable project, two worksheet assignments and an essay do the next day; I wasn't as gentle as I might have been.