Menu

Whole30 Support Thread#1

Soror

Hey all, I thought I'd finally post a support thread. Perhaps we can introduce ourselves and tell a little about our goals and where we are at and also as always share recipes and menu plans.

I'm on Day 14 here, started Dec 31. I plan to at least go to Feb 14, but might make it a Whole100.

Personal Goals-

=I just had baby #4 (2months old now) and need to lose 16 lbs.

-Good sleep- no middle of the night lying in bed- except when the baby is nursing!

-Good mood

-Increased energy

So far everything is going well on all fronts. I've had a few days of crappy sleep but for the most part I'm sleeping very good, as well as can be expected with a newborn anyway! Making sure my carbs aren't too low, I eat enough and take my vitD3 early also seems to help here. I've lost 2.6 lbs since starting Dec 31, about 8 lbs since I started heading back more paleo Dec 8th. I hope to lose 6 more by the 14th. My mood has been better than I expected. Before I've been a bit of a bear if I went too low carb but now I'm feeling pretty balanced.

Challenges- I miss chocolate. Dh bought some chocolate dipped gluten free macaroons last night at the grocery store. I really, really wanted one! I would like to have some strawberry coconut milk icecream. I want to snack at times just out of habit. I hadn't realized how much I had been snacking. It is getting easier everyday but I still think about it. I very rarely feel hungry and that is just when it has been 5+ hrs since I've ate. My milk supply is great and the baby is definitely more calm and sleeping better, although that might just be due to her getting a bit older.

Food yesterday:

bfast- 3 egg omlette style, 1/2 avocado, sm apple + 2 T homemade almond butter

lunch- leftover butternut "lasagna" (homemade italian sausage, homemade pasta sauce, peppers, onions, mushrooms, butternut sq)

supper- pork chop w/ cajun seasoning, sauteed cabbage, purple onion and roasted tomatoes, sm sweet potato w/ roasted walnuts, cinnamon and a bit of coconut oil

I'm only on day 7. I'm doing this for my joint pain and stomach pain. I'm not doing the full autoimmune protocol, though. I tried that once and just couldn't handle it. I have no idea how much I weigh and probably won't check myself until I go back to the doc. I do a full alignment lifestyle from Restorative Exercise and we walk and hike a lot. I want to ease back into yoga, but my SI pain is terrible. I haven't started back running since it started, either. I'm actually doing better with cravings right now. I only had two small cheats. I think caffeine and hoc oblate do not sit well with me and coffee kills my stomach. I have ADHD and the coffee doesn't make me hyper, but helps me concentrate and I love the taste, so that sucks. :(

I've been eating too many nuts, but veggies and decent meat are hard to find here and my budget is tiny. I got 10 oz. of pure nuts (walnuts, pecans, Brazil nuts) for $2 on holiday clearance at the store! I'm also hypoglycemic and nursing still, so I need to eat more often.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: leftover Italian omelette, paleo and sweetener free apple muffin, pineapple chamomile tea

Lunch: sweet potato, apple, sausage hash (awesome!), bacon

Dinner: roast lemon $ garlic chicken with extra roasted garlic and homemade evoo mayo, roast sweet potatoes, regular salad with hb eggs

Snack:ants on a log (pecan butter), coconut butter, don't remember what else!

Dh and I are starting tomorrow. I need to break my sugar addiction. I wouldn't complain about losing a few lbs. I do need to keep my calorie count up because I am nursing.

This afternoon I'll be making mayo, hard boiling eggs, and doing some salad prep. I need my breakfast/lunch/snacks to be quick or I won't make time to eat during the day.

I've gradually cut out the sugar in my morning coffee, but losing the soda is going to be a big challenge for me.

Dh and I are starting tomorrow. I need to break my sugar addiction. I wouldn't complain about losing a few lbs. I do need to keep my calorie count up because I am nursing.

This afternoon I'll be making mayo, hard boiling eggs, and doing some salad prep. I need my breakfast/lunch/snacks to be quick or I won't make time to eat during the day.

I've gradually cut out the sugar in my morning coffee, but losing the soda is going to be a big challenge for me.

Me, too, but I've never been a pop person. In the other thread, I had a list of meals. I can link for you, but I found a good site with make ahead Whole30 recipes. That's what I've done. I made a lot of sausage, omelletes, etc. ahead of time.

I made a quiche tonight and baked some chicken to throw on salad. Dh takes his breakfast and lunch to the office. If I don't have something ready ahead of time, he'll order out and most likely won't stick with it.

I just finished reading the other thread and bookmarked a few links.

I''ll play!

Today is day 12 for me and I'm doing well . DH is doing it with me, so that helps .

My primary goal is to just feel better . For the first time ever I've started to really be affected by my lack of exercise, poor diet, excess weight and stress junkie life .I don't like it . instead of approaching this as another diet, I'm really trying to change my life . I do have about 35 or 40 pounds I'd like to lose eventually .

Food today:

B: Egg and sausage scramble with a strawberry (yes, just one . DD made breakfast in bed and that's what she brought me !)

L: a mix of salads with compliant ingredients from Whole Foods, plus a hard boiled egg

D: steak, sweet potato, salad

snacks: a few nuts and a database . I need to kick the database to. the curb I think .

I also did Zumba for an hour, so that was good .

My big challenge is a work trip this week these are always hard for me, but I'll be ok .

I'm on Day 13 today. I initially looked into Whole 30 for weight loss. I've got about 6 lbs that have creeped up on me over the last few months that I can't shake. I'd like to lose 10 to get down to where I really would like to be. While I looked at Whole30 our of frustration with my weight gain I realized I needed it for health reasons. While I was maintaining close to my goal weight, I was eating terribly. Wine, cheese, chocolate, diet coke, and fake foods like Atkins bars were making up a large portion of my diet. I can tend to get hooked on certain foods and I felt like I was dependent/addicted to my diet. I needed my diet coke. I needed a bit of chocolate. I needed wine and cheese in the evening. It's a bad feeling. So, I embarked on Whole30 as a way of hopefully breaking the weird and unhealthy diet I'd fallen into.

I am doing great staying compliant and I have only really craved something a few times, like a glass of wine on Friday night. I had a couple days of eating Lara bars for a snack or with my lunch and I don't think that is a good choice for me. It's exactly the kind of food I would come to rely on and feel like I need. I totally get that part of Whole30- breaking the habit to eat that sort of thing even if it is compliant. I'll use them when I travel, etc. but I can't make it a regular thing.

Lots going on for me right now and I'm just not motivated to try new recipes. I've been having eggs for breakfast along with some ground turkey I seasoned with sausage seasonings. Lunches have been salads or paleo chili I made up in bulk and froze. I also made up a bunch of compliant taco seasoned meat that I throw in a bowl with salsa or make a taco salad. I found some compliant sausage at Trader Joe's and a compliant deli sliced roast beef I've used. I got canned chicken breast at Sam's Club that doesn't have anything added to it unlike the canned chicken at Kroger. I've made chicken salad with that a few times. I'm making my own mayo and salad dressings. I ordered some paleo beef jerky for days I'm going to be out with the kids all day and don't have time to pack. I discovered sunflower seed butter. I only use it in moderation because I could easily get carried away but that is a new food I found that I really like.

I'm almost halfway through and pretty darn proud of myself for sticking to it. I'm going to have a social situation tonight with food that I am dreading. I won't be tempted by the food I don't think. That hasn't really been a problem and I can eat before I go. It's the pressure to eat socially. "Why aren't you eating? You have to try this. Just a little." That kind of thing. It's hard to tell people I am on a diet because many people would consider me fairly thin and there would be judgement for that. I might go with an excuse like "I am doing dairy free and gluten free trial for health reasons". People in this setting would understand that.

I don't think I've lost any weight and I'm trying not to be discouraged by that. I bounce around with those final 10 lbs and I have had a difficult time determining what a goal weight for me should be. I'm telling myself that if I clean up my diet to this extent I might need to be content with the weight I end up at and maybe my body isn't meant to lose that last 10 lbs.

I will play, too! I really enjoy reading all of your posts; it is so nice to know that other homeschool moms are doing this because I know you all are just as crunched for time as I am. And this diet takes lots of time!

Beginning Day 16, here...definitely over the hard part. I don't really miss my diet Coke anymore; I plan not to ever get addicted to those things again! Can I say devil in a plastic bottle...

I started Whole 30 to break my terrible eating habits and patterns and jump start weight loss. I think I am succeeding on both accounts although I haven't stepped on the scale...I'm sticking to the rules of not weighing during the 30 days. I am eating 3 healthy and varied meals a day...no snacking at all. This is a BIG change for me...prior to Whole 30, I snacked so much that I rarely wanted real meals. So sad! And I can tell I've lost some weight because all my clothes...including my shoes (!)...fit so much better. In fact, the sweater I wore to church yesterday was almost loose!

I have a lot of weight to lose (50+ pounds), so after these first 30 days, I plan to continue with the program.

Has anyone tried eating at a Mexican restaurant, yet? My dear son is turning 15 this weekend and has selected a Mexican place for his birthday dinner. I have NO IDEA what to eat. Fajita meat? Anyone have any suggestions? I may just eat before we go.

Stay on the Whole 30 road!

Jetta

P.S. I get the daily emails from the Whole 30 website. I have found these to be VERY helpful and encouraging.

Oh, I think I'm going to make the sweet potato hash today for bfast today!

Welcome Robyn!

mommymilkies how is the menu plan coming?

Q- what is a database? I want a good steak as well!

teachermom- good luck on your event this evening. I would say you are going gf. I am gluten free so it makes it easier in some ways at social events. Like you I'm not very big and it can make it awkward at times when people just think you are dieting.

Jetta- When I've ate Mexican before I usually go w/ a fajita salad, sans the cheese. I wish I could say I have stayed off the scale- that is one rule I've broke though!

Good day here yesterday. I feel in a really good place with what I'm eating, how much I'm eating and how many carbs. I was hoping this would help get my tastes back in line and they really seem to be getting there. I still want chocolate but I'm really enjoying vegetables more and more. I was in this horrid cooking rut but I've been enjoying being back in the kitchen again.

Teachermom- I've thought as well about weight and what is ideal. I got really low(for me) after dd#1(baby #2) and I remember being proud of that but I don't think I want to be that small again. My current goal weight is actually about 10 lbs heavier than that, about 5 lbs more than my normal but it seems a bit of a set point in my weight I tend to want to stay at this weight when I'm losing unless I really work at it.

food yesterday:

b- 3 egg omlette style, 1/2 avocado, sm apple+2 Tbs cinnamon almond butter

l- pork chop, sauteed broccoli+ yellow pepper, sm sweet potato+ toasted walnuts, cinnamon and coconut cream

s-chicken thigh lemon and italian seasoned, green beans +roasted tomatoes, sm apple+2 Tbs cinnamon almond butter

OH, and for kicks and giggles I just inputted my food into daily plate. I'm happy to see I'm about at 60% fat, 20% protein, and 20% carbs. It feels pretty darn good at that break-down. I do wish it showed individual nutrients though. My carb count was 123, 43 g of fiber, 114 g of protein. I have to guess some at fat as I don't know how much oil ends up in my food when I sautee but I think I got it pretty close. It is interesting as I've not thought I've ate that much but my calories are about at 2200. I'm not hungry or overly full though and am nursing a 2 month old, so I guess it is at a good level for me.

Q- what is a database? I want a good steak as well!

Oops! What I meant to say is that I think I need to kick those things (Larabars) to the curb. They're becoming staples instead of an emergency item.

Now that I just said that, I'm leaving on a business trip tomorrow and I'm going to take a few of those with me, just in case the client orders in pizza or sandwiches for lunch, along with some compliant beef jerky I found.

Now, for the progress. I already got my gym workout in today (Zumba...I'm becoming a regular!) and might actually go back for more later. For the first time in my life I don't dread going. Could it be because I'm finally eating properly so I have enough energy to get there and to not feel like I'm gonna die in the middle of it? Yeah, I definitely think there's a correlation.

Food so far today:

B: sausage, apple, sweet potato hash with a fried egg mixed in

L: Free lunch at Chipotle! I wandered in on their grand opening dry run and got my food for free. Salad with carnitas (their only meat that doesn't have soy), guacamole, roasted veggies, pico de gallo, HOT salsa. Delicious.

Soror, if you find somewhere that calculates nutrients, too, let me know!

Jetta- at our Mexican restaurant, the fajitas are brought out with the meat & veggies on a skillet and everything else on the side. That would probably be easiest.

The menu plan is going ok. I had trouble getting some ingredients and seriously underestimating food needs for 7 people (mostly) doing Whole30, though!!! I think we've gone through 10 dozen eggs in 1.5 weeks!

Dinner last night: barbecue meatballs (beef, eggs, coconut flour, paleo BBQ w/o sweetener, sugar free grape jam (probably not legal, but only 1 tbs for the batch), avocado coleslaw (even my 8 yo begged for seconds!), decided eggs, peas.

Snack: ants on a log and coconut butter

Breakfast today: strawberry and spinach smoothie with the usual, bacon

Lunch: cranberry chicken, homemade mayo with pan fried fish, leftover coleslaw, deviled eggs, little paleo pretzel (coconut, almond, eggs) we made as an alphabet project.

The kids and I ate lunch realllllllly late because we cooked a lot. We made homemade mayo again, devised eggs, pecan butter, fish, chicken, etc.

Q- I'm soooo jealous of your free Chipolte meal!!!! We don't have one anywhere near here but I always love eating there when we travel. That is awesome about the working out, good for you!

mommymilkies- avocado coleslaw recipe? I searched but it seems there are lots of different ones out there.

I made the sweet potato hash this am(sm sweet potato, bit of purple onion + 2-3oz homemade sausage and 1 egg) which was awesomely yummy but I think too many carbs for me that early. I think I'll reserve it for supper. I just feel off today. I had a tin of sardines for lunch, pork rinds, apple +almond butter, not exactly a great meal. For supper I have ribs in the oven with a spice rub on it. Not sure what else I'm eating to go with it. Maybe some cauliflower? We have to eat early because of Scouts so it kind of throws everything off as not snacking at night.

Ok, everyone stop what you're doing and read this. READ THIS:

I just made the best dinner. Holy cow, was it good. You must try this.

I pan fried some good pork chops with pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder. Fast at first, for a good sear and crust, then turned down to medium to finish cooking. Unbelievable good and juicy.

But wait! That's not the magic part. I made sort of a chutney of onion, apple, mushrooms, garlic, thyme ,and little coconut aminos, sauteed in coconut oil, until nice and tender, and then added some coconut milk at the end and let it cook down to get a little bit creamy. Served that on top of the pork chops. HOLY COW that was good.

Smashed caulifower on the side, made with a touch of butter (not clarified because I just didn't feel like it, but really about a tbsp only for the whole batch), some of the solid from the top of the can of coconut milk, a little chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic.

I'm so pleased with myself I can barely stand it! :hurray:

Jetta- at our Mexican restaurant, the fajitas are brought out with the meat & veggies on a skillet and everything else on the side. That would probably be easiest.

I think this is what I'm going to try to do, but I have to admit, I'm very nervous about it...there will be LOTS of cheese dip flowing at this birthday dinner! This will be the first time I've eaten out since starting the Whole 30. We do not eat out very often at all, so I won't have this problem too many times...thank goodness! Why couldn't he have chosen a steakhouse? :closedeyes:

We are under an ice storm warning here, so I think my sons' activities today are going to be cancelled (archery, honor society). But I'm still going to try to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot today. I'm using a cross of recipes...starting with nomnom's. I'll let ya'll know how that turns out!

Have a great Whole 30 day!

Jetta

P.S. QValencia...your last post made me laugh out loud (especially after reading on the other thread that you don't like to cook...you sound like quite an adventurous cook to me)! :hurray:

Ok, everyone stop what you're doing and read this. READ THIS:

I just made the best dinner. Holy cow, was it good. You must try this.

Q, you are cracking me up too! I'll have to remember your recipe the next time I have some chops. A chutney sounds great.

Good luck Jetta today, you can do it. I'd suggest eating something beforehand, makes it much less tempting to cheat.

Supper yesterday was my ribs and then I ate an apple when I came home. I meant to make some other kind of vegetables but yet again I ran out of time. I need to start using the crockpot on Mondays as getting a meal ready by 4:30p is hard for me to do when we usually eat at 6:30.

Girls, I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I'm hoping it blows over by morning, but I am in a foul mood. Money issues, spending all day at the laundromat since my new washer exploded on Christmas Eve, all day out of state for violin, and then walking through Target (I had a gift cert and needed sweet potatoes) and Aldis (eggs! how many eggs do these people need?) and everything looking yummy and out of my budget. Then i came home to a dh that didn't bother helping while we were gone for 10 hours but watched music videos and whatever and went to band and dumped my clean laundry all over the living room. I am so done for tonight and just drained. I just can't justify this for my family any more because I can't afford it. Anything fresh or whole30 approved is outrageously pricey here. I am STARVING to death. Seriously. And it is so stressful. I accidentally cheated at Chick Fil A by putting vinaigrette on my salad before I thought about it, but I couldn't afford to buy another. Ugh. I need sleep.

On the other hand, a fairly relevant blog post from another Whole30'er: http://www.elizabethfoss.com/reallearning/2013/01/cravings-a-catholic-wrestles-with-food-self-image-and-god.html

Girls, I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I'm hoping it blows over by morning, but I am in a foul mood. Money issues, spending all day at the laundromat since my new washer exploded on Christmas Eve, all day out of state for violin, and then walking through Target (I had a gift cert and needed sweet potatoes) and Aldis (eggs! how many eggs do these people need?) and everything looking yummy and out of my budget. Then i came home to a dh that didn't bother helping while we were gone for 10 hours but watched music videos and whatever and went to band and dumped my clean laundry all over the living room. I am so done for tonight and just drained. I just can't justify this for my family any more because I can't afford it. Anything fresh or whole30 approved is outrageously pricey here. I am STARVING to death. Seriously. And it is so stressful. I accidentally cheated at Chick Fil A by putting vinaigrette on my salad before I thought about it, but I couldn't afford to buy another. Ugh. I need sleep.

On the other hand, a fairly relevant blog post from another Whole30'er: http://www.elizabethfoss.com/reallearning/2013/01/cravings-a-catholic-wrestles-with-food-self-image-and-god.html

I am sorry you are struggling and hope you feel better today. I totally get the frustration with trying to feed your whole family this way. I only worry about myself and I'm still feeding the kids pancakes, sandwiches, etc. I have some guilt about that because I do not believe it is good for them and I do want to decrease their reliance on carbs. I've been convinced of that for a few years. I try to make little changes for them and plan to work towards a better diet for them gradually. I wish I could make it go for all 6 of us but there is just no way. The expense, prep time, pickiness, etc. There is just no way I could do that for my family. I would love to get them moving in that direction. Somedays we have a fully compliant whole30 dinner but sometimes we get $5 pizzas for the kids and I make myself something else. I can totally see the stress in trying to make this work for your whole family- it is hard enough keeping myself in food options.

mommymilkies- big hugs! I'm not doing this for my whole family. They are all gluten free (and have been) and a good amount of what they eat is safe. However, my thought is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Get it down for you and then see if you want to do it for your family.

I'm feeling down myself. I think mine is hormonal :( I didn't eat enough Monday and my appetite was crazy yesterday. Sigh. Anyway. Today hopefully will be more normal.

Feeling better today. Fairly normal food yesterday. Worked out this am, I have some yoga videos coming as my current dvds seem a bit too high impact right now (as I got rid of all of my yoga videos and the only one I have on dvd is not one I'm particularly fond of- p90x yoga) and the weather hasn't been very good for walking. Dh and I are going out of town tonight, ya! Eggs and grapefruit for breakfast, chicken soup planned for lunch and unsure for supper as I'm not sure if we will be home or not.

I'm still hanging in there. I haven't lost a pound, but my hands have not been swollen all week! They've been tight and painful for months. So I'll stick it out. Grudgingly at the moment, though. Lol

And it had only been about a week without sugar, but that berry dressing was too sweet! Almost inedible. I need to find a new workout. Or use the ones I have. I've been waking too late to get anything done and then dh gets off work early and I just can't workout in front of people. We have a small house, so there's really nowhere to go...

I made the eggs in avocado shells today. Wow. just disgusting. I love avocado, but I barely choked this down. I had an herbed turkey burger with homemade mayo and pickles on a romaine "bun" for lunch and I'm about to scavenge my toddler's sweet potato fries, chicken, strawberries, and carrot. We accidentally skipped schoolwork today because we found out about a free brass ensemble and chorus at the college, so we went to it. ;)

I think I'll make chicken and veggie soup for dinner tonight. I need to use my broth in the fridge.

mommielikes: I don't know if I've lost any either. In fact, I'd bet I haven't, based on my clothes feeling the same. I still generally feel better and have more energy, though, so that's good for me for now. At some point I do need to drop some pounds, though, so I may just need to eat less of the same types of food after my Whole30. I really thought i wanted to extend, but I'll have to see how i feel on Day 31. At any rate, no hand swelling is a big deal, so congrats for that! And now that you mentioned, it, I just came home from a work trip and feet didn't swell at all, which they have done pretty consistently every time I get on a plane for the last year or two. Hooray for no swelling!

I'm pretty cranky today. Certainly not feeling the Day 16 Magic. I'm hungry, eating too many nuts and dried fruit today, and snapping at my husband. I think it may be because I'm tired. I didn't sleep at all last night and then had to be up at 4:00 am today to get on a plane to come home. Plus, the weather here is just awful. Gray, raining, cold and gross. We've had that type of weather basically since Christmas, so I fell like that's affecting me, too. Tomrrow will be better, right?

Food:

I had beef jerky for breakfast, in the car on the way home from the airport. When I got home I made a sausage, egg and spinach scramble. I had turkey and avocado with hot sauce on it for lunch, and two or three handfulls of a dried fruit/nut mix. Oh, and an orange. Not a very good day for me today. Tonight will be chicken and veggies of some sort, cooked some way. I haven't decided. But at least I haven't cheated, so that's something to celebrate.

Let's all just try to remember why we committed to do this and get throgh another day. It's only 30 days out of our lives. We can do this.

I'm making pan fried fish with homemade mayo, cooked carrots, and cauliflower rice for dinner.

I saw a recipe for this cauliflower rice dish recently and wondered about it. Have you made it before? Is it any good? I'm just NOT a cauliflower fan...although I do like it raw with ranch dip. :) But I would be willing to try it, I guess, if someone convinced me it was good.

Well...I survived (barely) my son's birthday dinner at the local Mexican restaurant. I did order the beef fajitas. They were below average...very little meat...mostly semi-cooked onions and peppers. The guacamole side was really not more than a teaspoon or two. So I was not at all satiated when we left the place. I came home and had a large mug of coffee with quite a bit of coconut milk in it to get me through the night. Hopefully, ds#2 (whose birthday is in 3 weeks) will choose a steakhouse for his dinner night out!

I did make Nom-Nom's crockpot whole chicken recipe the other night, and it was absolutely delicious. Everyone in my family loved it. I made the gravy, too, just like she suggested. I also tried her braised cabbage. It was quite good the first night, but not so great leftover. Not sure if I will make it again for that reason...our family relies on leftovers on our busiest days of the week, so what I cook must be leftover-friendly.

This is Day 20 for me. I still am convinced that I am going to stick very, very close to the program after the 30 days are up. I definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY feel better, and I don't feel like I am a slave to certain foods like I did. That is an awesome feeling!

Jetta

I find I really struggle on Fridays. I just don't want my Whole30 to include Friday nights. I didn't even ever feel a particular attachment to Friday nights before. I guess, come friday, I just want a little something. Wine or chocolate would do.

Amen.

Breakfast: part of a green smoothie

Lunch: sauteed chicken tenders, sweet potato

Dinner: We had ribeyes, sweet potato rounds and broccoli. I had a little kombucha.

We had co-op today, so my schedule was messed up. I am starving! I had half a ribeye for dinner and felt like I could have eaten everyone's at the table! Alas for funds. I'll probably have my usual paleo granola with coconut milk and an apple later.

The cauliflower "rice" is ok. I like fresh or frozen cauliflower. Frozen doesn't work nearly as well as fresh. It mostly tastes like the onion & garlic I cooked it with. I'm going to try it as Spanish rice or fried rice next week after I can do real grocery shopping.

I've been very interested in the Whole30 idea... but so it seems like all the recipes use coconut milk or coconut oil. Just can NOT do coconut here! Is there enough variety without coconut in any form to still be able to succeed at Whole30?

Also, any links to recipes, or websites with a series of recipes? I do much better when I can see what a meal looks like through recipes, rather than lists of "do" and "don't" foods.

Thanks in advance! Lori D.

Lori, this thread and our previous one has tons of menus of what we eat/ate. Nom Nom Paleo has a Whole30 section that was wonderful to me. If you like spicier food, Whole Family (blog) also has some good menus. The enchilada recipe on there worked well for us. Stuff I Make My Husband (blog) has a freezer Whole30 menu that was the basis for many of my meals.

Sure you can do Whole30 without coconut. Check out the Whole9 site and it has a printable shopping list. Basically you want extra fat. Coconut milk is good for that, and filling. I can not tolerate refined coconut oil, so I have to get pretty unprocessed regular coconut like Tropical Traditions flakes, or unrefined oil. But if you can't, check and see if hemp milk is ok. Almond milk is ok, just make sure it's unsweetened. But you don't even need it. I've used quite a bit olive oil these past 1.5 weeks because I like it and its in my price range.

Thank you for the tips and pointers! :)

I am a big fan of olive oil, and for years we have almost exclusively cooked with olive oil and the occasional real butter. Also, that would be a relief to not have to go looking for special "milk" products that most likely would not go over well here anyways. ;) I will go back through the thread more carefully and look for the recipes. Thank you again! Warmest regards, Lori

Lori, I've made it through 21 days of Whole 30 without buying any coconut oil. I use olive oil and ghee (see nom nom paleo's website for a great description of how to clarify butter in a way to make ghee) and occasionally bacon grease as my cooking fats. And I use olive oil to make mayonnaise and salad dressings. Then the mayonnaise can be used to make a variety of sauces/dressings.

I have used small amounts of coconut milk so that I would have "cream" in my coffee. It is tolerable. I am getting closer and closer each day to just drinking my coffee black. This will be a victory in and of itself to me! I was an artificial sweetener addict.

Whole 30 has really helped me get my food choices under control. It has completely wiped out my mid-morning and mid-afternoon hunger spells when I just HAD to have a diet coke and some chips. And my brain is not nearly as foggy as it was. I am actually completing most of my sentences! ha!

You have been such a wonderful help to me (mostly me lurking...but you have directly helped me, too) with your literature advice over the years. So if I can be of any help to YOU with a Whole 30, I would love to do that! :) Fire away if you have any more questions.

Jetta

I'm on day 6. I had a couple of rough mornings earlier in the week, but I felt better after breakfast. I am having to remind myself to eat because I am just not hungry. That is very unusual for me as I usually snack myself through the day.

late breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, bacon, and eggs with salsa

dinner: chicken and vegetable soup

I just had a snack of apple slices drizzled with almond butter. I don't mind the coconut milk in my coffee and I had weaned myself off my regular tsp. of sugar just before I started. I can't function without my morning coffee, so I'm relieved I can still enjoy it.

How's everyone doing?

I'm on Day 20 here. I made it through another weekend (Fridays are hard for me). I'm only 10 days away from finishing and accomplishing a goal I wasn't sure I could. It is always good for me to prove to myself I can be disciplined.

Here's the deal, though. I am getting totally annoyed about not losing any weight. If I was losing weight I would be saying that I could keep this up long term. But, without the reinforcement of some weight loss I'm starting to think about quitting. I've had some benefits but I am obviously driven by the scale and how my clothes fit- neither of which are giving me any positive reinforcement for my efforts. My diet was unhealthy. I was having a glass (or two) of wine every single night. I was eating cheese as an entree. I was sneaking chocolate throughout the day. I am absolutely baffled that cutting out those things has not resulted in any loss. I am not overdoing fruit. I'm not snacking. I am annoyed.

I've got an overnight road trip with a friend this weekend. Early in my Whole30 I was thinking of what I could pack and how I could manage this weekend. My friend is not a big eater/drinker and we'll have a full schedule so I think I can manage by packing a few things to get me through. But at this point I'm wondering if it is worth it just to stay on this program the full 30 days. I can go to the trouble of taking all my own food to get through. Or, I can quit after 25 days and be able to eat a salad in a restaurant without a hassle. Not sure what I'll decide.

I know it isn't all about weight. I really do. But, when following a strict diet like this, it is hard for me not to get some of that positive reinforcement. I don't have a dramatic enough improvement in mood/ energy, etc. to make me want to comply when my jeans are still tight.

I guess I'm just getting grumpy about the whole thing.

hey guys, busy weekend here and tons to catch up.

Lori- as others have said coconut milk is not a requirement it is generally used as a milk replacement but you don't have to have one and you can also use other things to replace it if you like- ie nut milk. I agree as well about the ghee and olive oil, grassfed lard or tallow is good as well.

I did pretty good this weekend being out but I wasn't perfect. I ate at paleo recommended places and made sure it was gluten free. However, I would guess that I had bits of sugar, some in some cured bacon and some other in a sauce. I kept with regular meals though and no snacks and kept away from chocolate and desserts.

I'm feeling generally good here but I am discouraged as well about not getting smaller. I'm trying not to weigh here, it's been almost a week now. I know it doesn't help. I'm trying to turn my focus towards fitness as I may not be able to lose weight but I can get stronger, gain endurance and flexibility, which are of course more important. I don't think I'll continue past Day 45 and at this point it might just be until day 30, I'm on day 22 right now. I know my body does best without grains and dairy and I was already gluten/soy free. I don't think potatoes are a big issue though or chocolate- as long as it is kept to good dark chocolate. I do feel well filled and like not feeling the need to snack. Perhaps I'm eating too much to actually lose but right now I don't feel good when I try to eat less and just end up starving later. So, I'm trying yet again to practice my patience. It is hard as usually losing isn't this hard for me :( but perhaps I'm just remembering wrong. I'm only 2 months post-partum here.

Oh, and I'm still doing my yoga and really anxious to get some new videos in!!!

Oh, and mommymilkies I've been enjoying the katysays blog and working on a few of her exercises. During pregnancy I was tired and did little so now I'm not near as flexible or strong as I was. I've been working on my squats again and various other things. Trying to be more mindful of how I stand and such. I cannot wiggle my toes near as good as I thought but I'm working on it.

Day 20 here, and I'm holding my own.

Today I had a salad that was not 100% compliant but I don't care. It was pretty darned healthy, despite the tablespoon or so of shredded cheese I didn't bother to try to pick around, and the dressing that had some sugar in it. I still call it a win.

I have not stepped on the scale once because I'm afraid if I do I, too, will be disappointed and ready to throw in the towel, so I'm just not going there. DH has lost 15 pounds. Men.....

I'm starving right now and don't feel like cooking. I need a snack or something. We'll be going out tonight and we'll see how well I do....

Soror, like you, I intended to go longer than 30, but now I just don't know. I definitely think I can ease in some other stuff, like a glass of wine here and there, and a tiny bit of cream in my coffee, but still stick to the rest ok. I also think I may need to restrict some calories so I can see some weight loss. We'll see what happens.

Keep it up! I can't do this without you!

I'm only 10 days away from finishing and accomplishing a goal I wasn't sure I could. It is always good for me to prove to myself I can be disciplined... I am getting totally annoyed about not losing any weight...without the reinforcement of some weight loss I'm starting to think about quitting

Good for you! Sounds like you are doing GREAT! You're 2/3 of the way there! If you can stay with it for 30 days, you'll achieve the goal, which is breaking food habits, and becoming aware of what you're eating, when, and why, so you have more control over your eating. Weight loss is a sometimes side benefit, but not for all.

I'm feeling generally good here but I am discouraged as well about not getting smaller... I'm trying to turn my focus towards fitness as I may not be able to lose weight but I can get stronger, gain endurance and flexibility, which are of course more important... Perhaps I'm eating too much to actually lose but right now I don't feel good when I try to eat less and just end up starving later... It is hard as usually losing isn't this hard for me :( but perhaps I'm just remembering wrong. I'm only 2 months post-partum here.

Remember, post-pregnancy bodies HOLD ONTO THAT WEIGHT for nursing purposes for at LEAST 6-12 months -- whether you're actually nursing or not! And you go girl -- good fitness is much better right now for you physically and mentally! Extra weight will eventually go once you wean, and/or start chasing down a toddler. ;)

What I've discovered (at least for me) is that diet change seems to help me just MAINTAIN my current weight, and not add more weight.

For me to LOSE weight requires additional activity (i.e. physical activity). And what seems to work best and fastest for weight loss is constant change-up, to confuse your metabolism thermometer. In other words, as soon as I get used to a regular activity (brisk walking for 30 minutes, or swimming laps for 40 minutes), my metabolism thermometer adjusts to that level of physical activity and now I maintain weight rather than continue to lose weight. In order to keep losing, I have to keep changing up what I'm doing -- either switching activities just as I start to stop feeling sore, or, even more effective, is to do intervals. For example, run hard (almost all-out) for 1 minute, then walk briskly for 1 minute, run, walk, etc. until you've done 10 run/walk cycles. Way not fun, but it really messes with the metabolism thermometer so it can't get settled and stuck.

I've slowly worked myself towards a compromise: I need regular aerobic exercise for overall health, so I try to swim laps 2x/week, and briskly walk the dog 2x/week. And then for weight loss, I try and do the run/walk intervals 2x/week. And now I'm also working towards starting Whole 30 for control over my eating (I first need to get the exercise parts back into place after the holiday)

Alas, the older we get, the more we have to do just to maintain. And now I'm also trying to figure out how in the world I might have time to add weight-lifting to help prevent osteoparosis since I'm getting up there in age... sigh...

Encouragement to complete your 30 days! And BEST of luck in finding what's the best solution for afterwards! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks for the encouragment, and tips about not needing coconut milk, Soror!

Lori, I've made it through 21 days of Whole 30 without buying any coconut oil... see nom nom paleo's website... Whole 30 has really helped me get my food choices under control. It has completely wiped out my mid-morning and mid-afternoon hunger spells...

You have been such a wonderful help to me (mostly me lurking...but you have directly helped me, too) with your literature advice over the years. So if I can be of any help to YOU with a Whole 30, I would love to do that! :) Fire away if you have any more questions. Jetta

You are so kind and encouraging Jetta! Fortunately, I don't do coffee, soda or artificial sweetners, and for the past year have cut bread, pasta, or potatoes to just one serving a week. But, I do like some cheese, and I REALLY struggle with snacks (salty stick pretzels or honey-roasted peanuts), and needing LOTS of chocolate throughout the day.

I need to compile recipes and have a plan of 30 days of menus before I can start. Also, I'm thinking I might feel more motivated if I attach this to Lent, as I have successfully given up chocolate for Lent in the past. Also, when I am swimming laps and walking regularly I don't have the food cravings as much, so I need to get back on track with my exercise first.

I hope to get started with Whole 30 next month! Thanks SO much for the encouragement! I will definitely be back for more info! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well, I'll add my 2 cents, too, while we are contemplating how long we are going to stick with this. I will definitely make it 30 days, but I am not sure if I will stay 100% compliant much longer than that...despite thinking earlier that I would go at least 60 days.

Why?

I am SICK TO DEATH of salads. I am tired of chopping, cutting, washing stuff all the live long day, and I *barely* got my lunch salad down today. I am also getting a bit tired of sweet potatoes.

I did spend a couple of hours yesterday afternoon looking on the web for new things to eat. I am making pork carnitas right now...you should smell the aroma in this house; it is amazing! My boys are dying for dinner!

I have definitely lost weight, but I was quite heavy to begin with. I will post on my weigh-in day which is next Sunday. I am hoping for 10 pounds!

Jetta

So happy to hear from everyone. Lori= I've wondered if perhaps I'm having a harder time losing weight due to bf'ing but usually I can, although I do always watch what I eat. Sigh. It is perhaps going to go slower this time. Or maybe it is something else. I don't know. I am higher carb then after my last pregnancy, who knows.

I am walking as well, when I can(the weather has not been great here). My body does not like running right now, although I generally like to do some sprints. I can do sprints on the bike though, which works ok whenever I get a chance to ride(ie when the baby tolerates being in the trailer or dh is home and the weather is also decent). I like the yoga because I get a cardio work going through the sun salutations and then work on building muscle strength through the various poses as well, not to mention flexibility. I do like swimming ok but I really cannot do it well and we don't have a pool and the indoor one is a bit of a drive.

Lori- mommymilkies had a 30 day meal plan posted on the last thread, perhaps that will be of help to you. I've been doing way too much of the flying by the seat of my pants here. I always have good luck with giving up things on Lent, I've done chocolate as well and the internet.

Jetta- I don't have much of an appetite for salads myself right now, so I understand that. I like cooked veggies though, although I don't always want to cook them! Let us know how the new recipe works out. I have a pork roast going right now myself in the crock pot, not sure what is going to go with it though. I wish you lots of luck on your weigh in- I hope you meet your goal!

Q- Good for your dh, but I agree men stink. It so much easier for them? I hate the feeling of starving and not wanting to cook, not easy on this eating plan. I ending up snacking like crazy this afternoon, not sure why, perhaps the exercise earlier today? I worked out about an hr total.

My 30 days is officially up Jan 29th and I'm not sure if I'll go past then. I'm trying to make it until then before I weigh again. I really doubt I will meet my 8 pd goal. I don't think I've lost anymore since my first little loss.

Where is everyone :)

I haven't posted food in a while so here goes:

Yesterday's eats:

bfast:

2 eggs, 2 small sausage patties +roasted tomatoes, apple

lunch:

4ish oz. burger, pickle, handful of carrots a few T of guac, orange, handful of walnuts-

snacking marathon

2 chicken legs

apple

lots of baby carrots

handful cashews

supper:

4ish oz pork roast (spices+garlic)

plain green beans

a few bites of sweet potato(I wasn't too hungry for supper after snacking so much)

Today so far:

bfast:

3 eggs omlette style

2 med sausage patties(homemade)

lunch:

2 chicken legs

plain green beans

snack

2 chicken legs

supper

pork and sweet potato stew

Hey, all. Day 21 for me and, like a few of you have stated, I'm sick to death of all of the chopping and prep work and frankly just of having to focus so much on food, period. I suppose that's kind of the point, though, right? To be intentional about everything we put in our mouths?

I'm going the 30 days for sure, but then might modify to SouthBeach or something, leaving out the processed junk. If I get nothing else from this 30 days I will have become accustomed to cooking and eating better and getting into a gym habit. Plus, it should make it easier for me to transition to weight loss mode of some diet, like SB, since I'm already used to not eating some of those types of foods.

My husband, meanwhile, continues to lose. If I eat another salad I may actually not be able to swallow it, but he goes about it as if it's the best food he's ever tasted. Grrr...... On the other hand, he puts on weight a lot faster than I do, too, so I hope he sticks with the healthy stuff beyond the 30 days, too.

Let's just keep with it. We all know it's the right thing, even if the weight loss we want doesn't come. We can do this.

By the way, I went out for dinner two nights in a row and did ok. Compliant all day, then for dinner:

Last night: Outback - 6 oz filet with a sweet potato (clarified butter they serve with lobster, and cinnamon) and a house salad with no croutons or cheese, ceasar dressing on the side. Ok, I know the ceasar isn't perfectly compliant because it has some soy in it (I looked it up) but I dipped my fork and then took a bite and if I had 1 tsp with the whole salad I'd be surprised. Seriously. It's so flavorful and garlicky you hardly need any.

Tonight: Red Lobster - 1 lb of gloriously delicious snow crab legs. Roasted veggies. House salad with no croutons, oil and vinegar. NO cheddar biscuits. I wasn't even all that tempted. That's a win, right?

Oh, crab and steak, you lucky girl! Oh, I used to have the SB diet book I'd send you but I sent it to Goodwill. I plan to continue similarly but add in some dark chocolate and not be 100% compliant w/ sauces/spices and such- although I will be gluten/dairy/soy free.

I agree I consider it a success as well for most of my goals. I have changed my tastebuds. I'm (generally) not snacking, maybe a few days a week do I feel a need to snack and considering I'm nursing that seems fine to me. I don't crave sweets near as much and am enjoying vegetables much more lately. I'm trying to work on establishing habits with exercise, hopefully now that I've found something I enjoy and is working for my body right now that will be more possible.

My whole body has actually been sore from the yoga but a good kind of sore- like hey I worked those muscles- ya me!

NO cheddar biscuits. I wasn't even all that tempted. That's a win, right?

AMAZING!!!

Day 26 here. Still cooking along!

I mentioned those pork carnitas the other day. They were so absolutely delicious; ya'll oughta try them.

http://www.theclothe...-pork-carnitas/

Plus they make enough meat for several days of leftovers!

Jetta

AMAZING!!!

Day 26 here. Still cooking along!

I mentioned those pork carnitas the other day. They were so absolutely delicious; ya'll oughta try them.

http://www.theclothe...-pork-carnitas/

Plus they make enough meat for several days of leftovers!

Jetta

Hooray for new recipes! I love carnitas but have never attempted to make it. I will now. This looks easy.

Remember when I said I was going to forego the Larabars from now on? I lied. I ordered three boxes of 16 each from Amazon and I love them. Cherry Pie (my favorite), Banana Bread, and Coconut Cream Pie. I'm sure they may be my undoing, but it is what it is. They're making this bearable for me, and keeping me from not getting pi$$ed off about not being able to eat some of the other stuff I sometimes want.

By the way, I had that avocado/bacon/balsamic-butter-garlic reduction thing posted in that other thread for lunch yesterday, and again today for breakfast but with sausage. Delicious.

Thanks for the recipe Jetta, it looks really good.

Q- WE love those cherry pie larabars here, and pecan pie and well about any flavor!! I think sometimes denying what we really crave can lead us to eat more as we never feel that satisfaction Personally, I think for me that is why I've ate more fruit than usual, trying to get my chocolate fix. However, I can eat a little bit of chocolate and be satisfied but fruit doesn't do it so much for me and bloats me. If nothing else though it helps us figure out our body more, which is always good, so that is a win :)

Worked out again this am, I have every day this week. I'm trying to make it a daily habit, at least through the week and I'm so proud!

I wish I could find some good bacon because that avocado/bacon/garlic sounds AWESOME to me!!!!

Food for yesterday:

bfast-

3 eggs, 2 sausage- 1/2 avocado

lunch-

3 chicken legs, baby carrots

supper-

pork chop(salt, pepper, garlic), 1/2 med sweet pot+cinnamon and walnuts, sauteed mushrooms, onions and green pepper+paprika and chili

Had to share my dinner tonight because it was really good, really fast and super easy. Not a recipe, really, but here's what I did:

Asian Pork Lettuce Wraps

Brown a pound or so of ground pork (that's what I used for 2 adults and 2 kids)

Add about 1/2 a medium - large onion, plus a container of mushrooms (I used shitake) and ;et them get nice and cooked.

Add a couple of tablespoons of rice vinegar, several dashes of coconut aminosabout a teaspoon of almond butter for the tiniest bit of sweetness, and a couple of sprinkles of sesame oil. Then I finished it off with a little red chili paste. Not too much, because the kids don't like it spicy.

We wrapped the meat mixture in lettuce leaves, topped with a mixture of diced cucumber, fresh cilantro and (for the adults) diced fresh jalapeno. Wow, was it good!

Now don't say I never did anything for you. :coolgleamA: