Menu

Whole30 Support Thread#1

Soror

Oh, sounds good, you guys have been busy cooking away. I've been pretty boring here meanwhile. Did I mention how good I'm sleeping? Probably so but it is soooo nice. My energy is good and I'm getting up early(relatively) even though I have a baby who wakes me up at least once a night. I still an afternoon resting period but I don't sleep.

food for yesterday:

bfast:

eggs, avocado, roasted tomatoes, blueberries +coconut milk(full fat canned)

lunch:

pork chop (salt, pepper, garlic)

1/2 med sweet potato + handful toasted walnuts

supper:

roasted chicken leg

braised cabbage + a bit of carrot and sliced onion

roasted broccoli

Had to share my dinner tonight because it was really good, really fast and super easy. Not a recipe, really, but here's what I did:

Asian Pork Lettuce Wraps

Brown a pound or so of ground pork (that's what I used for 2 adults and 2 kids)

Add about 1/2 a medium - large onion, plus a container of mushrooms (I used shitake) and ;et them get nice and cooked.

Add a couple of tablespoons of rice vinegar, several dashes of coconut aminosabout a teaspoon of almond butter for the tiniest bit of sweetness, and a couple of sprinkles of sesame oil. Then I finished it off with a little red chili paste. Not too much, because the kids don't like it spicy.

We wrapped the meat mixture in lettuce leaves, topped with a mixture of diced cucumber, fresh cilantro and (for the adults) diced fresh jalapeno. Wow, was it good!

Now don't say I never did anything for you. :coolgleamA:

This sounds fabulous!! I used to cook cabbage rolls all the time...I don't know why I haven't thought of doing that during this Whole 30. I would just have to take out the rice. I guess I'm in a bit of a food rut.

SO...where in the world have ya'll found coconut aminos? I've looked at several stores with no luck.

Jetta

OK, I'm joining you all, a little bit late! I'm going to start a whole 30 tomorrow. Should I have a last glass of wine tonight? I've been reading through these threads, and that seems to be a sticking point. ;)

We are having a compliant dinner tonight to kick it off. Grilled tri-tip steak with a spice rub (no Lawry's which is my favorite, but chock full of sugar!). Baby-green salad with olive oil & vinegar, and brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon fat with shallots. Dd (19) is helping make dinner, and she gave a little sneer: "We're having brussels sprouts AND salad?" Yes, my child, get used to it! (although there's also some leftover brown rice for the kids).

Welcome Chanticleer! How's it going so far? Your supper sounds yummy delicious! I think the first days are usually not so bad but then around day 3-5 or so it gets harder.

yesterdays eats:

bfast

2 sausage patties,

a bit of leftover broccoli (there wasn't very much left)

1 c blueberries

1/2 c coconut milk

lunch

3 chicken leggs

leftover braised cabbage w/ bits of carrot and onion

snack

1 c blueberries

1/2 coconut milk

handful pecans

supper

6ish oz tilipia- broiled w/ a few spices

baby carrots

homemade ranch dressing (dairy/sugar/free recipe from Q I think- with honey omitted- VERY GOOD!)

I did my Yoga in the am(about 30 min) and took a brisk 35 min walk in the afternoon. I had the snack after I got back from the walk. My appetite has been greater the past few days, it seems to go a bit up and down so I'm trying to roll with it. I took measurements this am and it seems my lower belly is down some more and my thighs as well. My pants are fitting a little bit loser as well. I'm not weighing though!

I've ordered coconut aminos from our food co-op, Azure. Otherwise I buy it when we visit the city at Whole Foods, it isn't available locally.

Thanks! The next time I go into Memphis, I will make a point to got to Whole Foods and find myself a bottle. I plan to stay "almost compliant" for much longer so I would like to have it!

Day 28...it is sunny and in the low 50s, so I am going to grill out tonight...steaks and porkchops. Plus roasted sweet potatoes and asparagus.

I'm really, really itching to weigh in, but I'm going to make myself wait until at least Tuesday morning.

Jetta

hey Jetta, your almost there! I'm so excited to hear your numbers. My official 30 days would be up Wed but I'm going to the 14th and trying to make it until then before I weigh again.

Good day yesterday. I was hungrier again. I exercised about an hr, just yoga, was hoping to walk but never did get around to it and now it is raining! The baby napped a lot yesterday and therefore didn't sleep as well last night, so I didn't sleep as well. No idea for the menu today, I better get to it!

Yesterdays eats:

bfast

3 eggs omlette style

1/2 avocado

fire roasted tomato

2 sausage patties

lunch

homemade chicken soup w/ carrots and green beans poured over the rest of my braised cabbage

snack

bluebberies

coconut milk

walnuts

carrots

homemade ranch dressing

supper

more chicken soup

I'm so encouraged by all of you, just so you know.

We're on Day 26 and I haven't decided if I'm going to go longer or not. I think the answer is "sort of". Meaning, I will likely add the dairy in on Day 31 to see what happens, and if I do ok I'll incorporate some going forward. I'll also stop being quite as strict with seasonings and things, and I'd really like a glass of wine a couple of times a week (as opposed to every day, like I was doing previously). Other than that, I like how I feel so I'll probably keep going on a modified plan, but then that's the point, right?

I was trying on clothes yesterday and I'm the same size as I was previously, so I know I haven't made any huge weight loss strides. I look better, though. My face is thinner, and I see some improvement other places, too.

Ok, I have to share more food stuff.

Breakfast today was late and it was scrambled eggs and sausage, and a grapefruit. I had a Larabar at some point. Then I started on dinner.

1st, Stovetop Pork Carnitas. Recipe here. Could not be easier, and it smells SO GOOD on my stove right now.

Serving with Alton Brown's Guacamole (I've loved this since long before I knew W30 even existed). By the way, I had to taste it while I made it, of course, so I used banana chips instead of tortilla (for obvious reasons). Oh. My. God. Who knew that flavor combo would be so good? It is. I promise. I'm not making this up.

Finally, my salad has cucumber, fresh cilantro, onion, mango, pineapple, yellow bell pepper, fresh jalapeno, tomato, minced garlic, fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. I tasted it after I put it all together and it was really good, but I'm sure it will be even better once all the flavors combine in my fridge. Probably too much fruit for one day, but still compliant and delicious and satisfying.

Anyway, I really do hate to cook, as I've said a billion times. W30 has inspired me to do it more anyway, just because I get bored with the same old stuff. I'm a self-confessed foodie (really, really hate that term), much to my husband's chagrin, because I love food and don't care how much I spend on it. I've found that I can cook a lot of delicious food, way outside the box for what I would normally do, and it saves a ton of money compared to eating out all the time. So...yet another benefit of this 30 day journal for me.

OK, maybe I'm not cut out for the Whole 30...I might be more of an Atkins gal.

Yesterday:

pre-run: Banana

breakfast: 2-egg omelet with onions, peppers, & spinach sauteed in bacon fat, avocado slices. Strawberry & orange fruit salad

lunch: broccoli slaw; salad of baby greens, scallions, and leftover sliced steak from night before, olive oil/vinegar dressing

dinner: romaine salad w/organic heirloom tomatoes, scallions, black olives, & salsa vinaigrette. Steak fajita bowl: more leftover steak served on top of sauteed onions, peppers & mushrooms, salsa & guacamole on top

snacks: almonds & cashews

Today:

breakfast: 2-egg omelet with organic heirloom tomatoes, scallions, avocado, & salsa. Handful of strawberries

lunch: nicoise salad - yum! Baby greens topped w/1 sliced boiled egg, half a can of albacore tuna, greek olives, red onion, and steamed green beans, w/ dijon vinaigrette.

dinner: something with marinated chicken thighs...TBD shortly as it's almost dinner time!

snacks: 2 tangerines, cashews

So, here's why I'm not sure I can do the Whole 30.

Both yesterday & today I had 2 "cheats" on the Whole 30 which would have been Atkins compliant. Yesterday, the mayo in my broccoli slaw was commercial mayo, and, I had 3/4 of a beer with dinner.

Today, I had 1 TB of cream in my coffee, and I cooked my omelet in 1 tsp of Kerrygold butter. (we're running low on bacon fat, and I didn't want to use coconut oil or olive oil)

I won't make the commercial mayo mistake again (I just made my homemade olive oil mayo in the food processor), and I'm going to try to stay away from the alcohol, as it's not even allowed on Atkins for the first 2 weeks. But, I'm not sure I can do the 100% dairy free. Ugh. Not sure what to do.

Wow, Q, some delicious sounding recipes! That is the good and the bad part of the restricted diet, it forces you to cook more or things get really boring. That is the same guacamole recipe I use, I love it too, very yummy! I'm going to have to try the carnitas as that is the second time it's been linked!

chanticleer, *if* you want to stay here's a few thoughts, you can make the butter into ghee to make it compliant and use coconut milk instead of cream. I'd think the beer wouldn't be allowed on atkins either. However, of course that is up to you.

Not feeling too great here, I'm afraid I'm fighting the flu, ugh.

yesterdays eats:

bfast

3 eggs

roasted tomatoes

1 sausage patty

snack

blueberries

coconut milk

walnuts

lunch

2 drumsticks

supper

grassfed beef roast cooked and shredded over baked sweet potato cubes

topped w/ thai coconut curry sauce and sauteed veggies

Carnitas Update:

It was good, but if I were to make it again I'd make sure I:

1. Use the correct cut of meat. I used a different cut of pork than what was specified and it didn't have enough internal fat, so it was a little dry.

2. Cut down on the spice rub and the citrus. Then again, that's probably because my cut of pork was only just over 2 pounds, when the recipe clearly calls for 3 - 4 pounds. So, either cut down on the lemon and lime juice, and the spice rub, or use a larger piece of meat. Even with a larger cut, I still may cut back. It was slightly overseasoned.

Fortunately the cool, creamy guacamole worked fabulously to tame the pork, so that's good.

I "finished"! Yesterday was my Day 30, and today was my weigh-in. In the beginning, I had set 10 pounds as the weight loss I had to reach to continue this plan. Well, of course...I lost exactly 9.5 pounds. Ha! I was a little disappointed UNTIL...I took my measurements. I lost THREE inches in my waist in 30 days. That is just phenomenal! Then I knew that I would round those 9.5 pounds up in my brain and keep at this Whole 30 plan for a while longer.

So I am continuing on. No off-roading, yet, for me. I've got a huge rump roast cooking in the crockpot right now, and I plan to make roasted cauliflower with it.

Everyone...please let us know how your Whole 30 ends. I have truly appreciated checking in with ya'll over the past 30 days!

Jetta

P.S. QValencia...when I made the carnitas, I did use a 4 pound pork shoulder that I cut into large chunks. I also cut the cumin down a little because I knew I wouldn't like as much as the recipe called for. It was some of the best meat I've eaten in a while...and my 15 yo son keeps asking me DAILY to make them again. I tried to sub a pork loin recipe in a nom-nom recipe that called for shoulder, and it ended up so dry!

Jetta- that is awesome, many congrats, I hope it continues to go as well!

fwiw I have a horrible time with pork being too dry. I'd love to try the carnitas but I'm not sure what cuts I have in the freezer(left from the half hog I bought in the fall).

Today is my 30th day and I've decided it will be my last official day. I don't have big cheat plans but I'm going to have some indulgences. I will not be adding dairy or grains. I will allow dark chocolate, dairy/soy free. I will allow bacon that has some sugar in the cure. I will not freak so much if we happen to eat out, although I will stay gluten free as always.

Anyway, I know I've went back and forth on this. I've thought more though and being strict has enforced that I do need to be grain and dairy free. However, I'd like to lose some weight and I think actually not being so strict on some things will actually help me ie a little bit of very low carb chocolate would curb my sugar craving much better then fruit, which doesn't work as well for me.

I think I will go ahead and weigh tomorrow morning. It's been 2 weeks since I've weighed now. I'm hoping for 5 lbs for the whole month I guess, originally I hoped for 8 but that was for the 45 days anyway. We will see I guess.

I think I'm going to try tracking my food to see if I can make some tweaks to make things work better. I've been exercising every day and really enjoying it. It seems(knock on wood) that I've missed the nasty flu that has came over the house. I still have some sick ones but it seems we are on the mend, thank goodness.

I "finished"! Yesterday was my Day 30, and today was my weigh-in. In the beginning, I had set 10 pounds as the weight loss I had to reach to continue this plan. Well, of course...I lost exactly 9.5 pounds. Ha! I was a little disappointed UNTIL...I took my measurements. I lost THREE inches in my waist in 30 days. That is just phenomenal! Then I knew that I would round those 9.5 pounds up in my brain and keep at this Whole 30 plan for a while longer.

Congratulations!

30 days finished yesterday, weigh in and measurements today:

4.8 lbs lost

.5 lost on chest (fluctuations though due to nursing)

.25 lost around ribs

.5 lost on waist- belly button

2 in lost on lower belly

.5-.75 in. lost on thighs

Hips same

Goals:

Sleep- Has been really good for the most part(I do have a 2 month old so it isn't perfect). However, I generally feel pretty well rest and have been waking up before the kids and by 7am at least which is HUGE to me and my mental health.

Mood- I've generally felt more calm and patient then usual and even keeled.

Energy- Really good, even the days when the baby didn't sleep as well I've generally felt pretty good. I haven't felt the need to nap although I do take it easy in the afternoons. I've been exercising nearly daily for the last 2 weeks and am growing in strength and endurance. I started just trying to get 15-20 min and now can make it 30-45 and sometimes more than once a day. I'm feeling almost back to normal and I find myself looking for activity rather than trying to get out of it(which is a bad habit I developed in pregnancy).

I'm now at 13.6 lbs to go. It seems at the rate I'm going it will be about 3 more months or so. I'd like to have it gone by the time the baby is 5 months, which is 2.5 months.

Congratulations!

Thank you much! I've marked Feb. 26 for my next weigh-in and measuring day. I think I've begun to *like* not looking at the scale very often.

And Soror...many congrats on your successes! (and your birthday, too!) Your plan for eating after your Whole 30 is a good and wise one. Also, thank you for starting this little support thread; it has been encouraging to me.

Jetta

Hooray! Everyone has done so well!!! :party:

I mentioned on Soror's new LCHF Social Group thread that I weighed yesterday (Day 28) because I wanted to enter my weight into the FitBit app, and I'm down 9.5 pounds! I'll weigh again Friday morning to get my official post-W30 weight, but I'm pleased.

I'm not going to continue on W30 and will have some dairy Friday (probably Greek yogurt for breakfast) and a glass of wine. I'm not going to add back grain of any kind, though. I do much better without them.M

My energy is through the roof and I feel very, very proud of myself for doing this. I'm notorious for doing things perfectly for a couple of weeks, and then some small "cheats", and then completely off the wagon. This time I don't even feel tempted to eat poorly again, and neither does DH.

Nice job, everyone!

Congrats again! That is awesome! I hope you enjoy your celebratory wine and yogurt!

The energy is the best part. I always forget how good it feels to be grain free/lower carb.

I had some bacon today to celebrate! It had sugar in the cure but was at 0carbs, so I'm guessing the amount was minimal. It was delicious!

bfast:

2 eggs

2 slices uncured bacon

homemade guac

lunch

1/2 cauliflower roasted w/ paprika and cocoa

2 roasted chicken legs

snack

coconut oil, almond, stevia, mint extract and cocoa