Menu

What would be good handy crafts for a 7 year old?

PVC pipe cut into various lengths along with different types of connectors can provide endless fun. They can be the basis of a fort (just add a tarp), a hose can run water through a maze created from them, or if youmcap,of one end and drill holes along one piece it can be a homemade sprinkler, small cars can race through PVC tunnels and on and on. Precut wood pieces can also be good to hammer or screw together a birdhouse or other outdoor decor projects. What about letting him help you build a raised bed, then he can plant seeds of his choosing, weed and care for his garden and reap the results. If you're agreeable, digging a big hole is super fun, hard work and I've yet to meet a child who didn't love that. Making a wind chime out of found objects is pretty cool, and so is making garden stones (there are kits you can buy or basic DIY instructions online).

I'mthinking of putting together a carpentry kit for my son's 6th birthday. It would have some basic things- coping saw, hand drill, hammer, square, and level. Then I'd just buy some pine and let him experiment for a while. I did find this- http://www.woodworkersresource.com/products/woodshop-for-kids/index.html I am thinking of ordereing it, but haven't decided yet.

Fence weaving is a lot of fun, and depending on what you use, can stay up quite a long time.

I also enjoyed making a variety of bird feeders. It's fun to research what birds eat what foods--suet, thistle seed, other seeds, insects--you can make a feeder for each.

Not exactly a craft, but pressing leaves and putting in a nature notebook can be really instructive AND fun. Small flowers and leaves can certainly be used to make things--stationery, bookmarks, etc.

We also really, really enjoyed making moss/dish gardens with my mil. They can last for a long time, and it's interesting to put them together. We dug some moss and small plants from the yard and woods, and put them in shallow dishes from the thrift store. Adding little details, with pretty stones, a figurine or two, those "gems" from the Dollar Store...Very interesting and fun! You can give them to others, too--esp good gift for seniors who might enjoy plants but don't want anything high maintenance. Give a spray bottle from the Dollar Tree as a helpful addition. Spray every day or every other and you are set.

Scupley is hours of fun for DD. She can make food for her dollhouse people, magnets, Christmas decorations, little dolls, beads for jewlery. Tons of stuff.

Crochet. I learned off youtube and taught DD. It took her a few weeks to get the hang of it but now she does it as well as an adult.

Fairy Houses. Not a craft but still lots of fun and it's outdoors.

Saturday Kid's workshops at Home Depot and Lowes. Home Depot is the first Sat. morning of the month and Lowes is twice a month. Home Depot is free. We have not been to a Lowes one because the location is not as good for us.

Lowes workshops are free, too. And --at least at our location-- they give you a pair of goggles and a work apron to keep, no charge. And each week you get a patch that you can sew on your work apron (a la Girl Scouts badges); you also get a certificate but those go straight to the recycling at our house. :)