Menu

Science for 7th grade

My ds will be in 7th/8th grade next year. This year he is doing Apologia General Science. He likes it enough but it doesn't spark a lot of interest. I'm not sure it challenges him all that much either. I've been looking at BJU middle school science (life and earth/space). I do need a textbook or some sort of laid out plan. I'm not good at implementing random books and videos. I do like the looks of CPO physical science, but there is no way I can afford the lab equipment which seems like the wow/bang of the program. Any suggestions?

Beth

We do CPO without many of the labs. Heresy, I know. ;)

Some of the reasons why:

--completed a similar lab in the past

--witnessed the phenomenon in real life

--knew the outcome without doing it

--would sometimes rather read a 200 page book about something rather than do a certain lab

--there is only so much time in a day

There have also been labs we adapt to make cheaper/easier.

CPO has much to offer, even without the labs. Math, research, biographies of scientists, literature suggestions, etc.

We are planning to use CPO Physical Science next year for 7th. It will be our 3rd year with CPO.

We've been enjoying Rainbow Science this year. My 7th grader does it mostly on her own - I review the question/answers with her and we supervise the labs. I picked up all the texts/teacher guide used but had to pay for the lab kit (pricey) - I figured we'll have 2 other kids using the program if we find it a good fit for our family, so that helped me justify the expense.

My 7th grader is using BJU Earth Science this year. We are currently about halfway through the book. This is our first year with BJU after years of Sonlight Science followed by Apologia General last year.

Earth Science is by far his least favorite science subject (he's a physics guy!), but we are really enjoying the switch to BJU from Apologia. I have found the program easy to use.

We like BJU so much that we are planning to continue with it next year. :-)

This nice homeschooler made a list of supplies for the CPO Life Science course http://wildoakacademy.blogspot.com/2011/03/cpo-life-science-supply-list.html.

I thought The Rainbow would be awesome....it's not. My 10 and 13 yr olds are nearly done with the first year and have not been wowed at any of it (except that the kit comes with all of the supplies).

I'm contemplating Science Fusion. My holdout is that it's from a textbook company and the price, but it looks pretty good to me. Here is an overview. ScienceFusion for Home Schooling

If you find that wonderful program, please let me know!!!

I can't recommend the Life Science course with Mrs. Vick enough. If there's any way you could do the course online or through DVD, you should use it. She is a wonderful teacher and will make science come alive. The course is challenging, but will be a very good introduction to life science before Biology in high school.

We tried our first BJU online course this past year in 7th grade (Life Science taught by Mrs. Vick). My very non-sciencey daughter LOVED it. She learned a ton. We bought the 8th grade course when it was on sale for $99 and will be doing Earth Science this semester.

Is this course taught by Mrs. Vick? The website says it is, but the demonstration video is not her teaching.

My 8th graders are using BJU Earth Science this year. They are enjoying the reading enough, but none if us are excited about this program. This is our first year using BJU. Last year we used the ABeka 7th grade science. Both boys loved it. Neither boy wants to use BJU next year for high school.

As I understand BJU has 2 editions for Earth and Space science: the former was almost Highschool level, the current should be more age appropiate.

I don't if the reviews above are about the former of the current edition?

I plan to use Lifescience nextyear, so no experience yet :-)

We are using the older BJU edition. It's almost killed our love of science. We will definitely not be using BJU next year.

If I were going to go textbk route, I would probably use PH' Science Explorers. They are inexpensive if you purchase used and you can select which of he multiple bks you want to cover. I bought 15 of them a few yrs ago for about $2.50 per bk. i've only used a couple completely and others as references bc we are not textbk people, but I like them far better than Apologia.