Menu

How do you get your kids to do SL?

Lovedtodeath

I have been trying to get through our SL read alouds and DD always fights it so much that we have finished less than half. Now I cannot start on Core 1 yet, though that is okay, since we are not doing history yet. I bought read-alouds through Core 4 used, and I really want us to be a family that loves school, loves literature and basically live and play school. How do I do this? She fights school no matter what the subject matter unless it is free art time. Is it something I force at first and then we grow into it?

my son (now 8) hated to sitting and listening to read alouds. Instead he would sit on the floor somewhere close by, and play with legos or k'nex. When asked comprehension questions, he could answer them just fine and had obviously listened well to the story.

If I MAKE him sit beside me and listen, he just cannot do it.

He is getting better, but still does better listening while playing. (He has ADHD)

-rebecca-

There are 2 separate things. SL read-alouds from K on up can be, umm, boring :D if a child still needs visual stimulation to concentrate. You could try picture books either from the SL PK lists or FIAR. These books are not too "easy" for a 6yo. They'll get a lot out of them. Once you've got the picture book habit firmly established, you can sneak in some longer books from SL. I'd start with Capyboppy, RS Please and Thank You, Dolphin Adventure and My Father's Dragon. Leave Apple and Arrow, Wizard of Oz and Twenty and Ten till the end (I know that's not how they're scheduled, but IMHO the IG order is fairly random anyway).

The not wanting to work issue is more difficult. My POV is that schoolwork is my kids' job and shirking is not an option. If they don't work, they sit in their chair until they're finished. I may hold their hand in place over the worksheet (very effective for my autistic ds, but that may be autism specific, so YMMV). Honestly, dd gives me a lot less trouble, possibly because she sees her db work too or she might just be easier. This is a battle you have to win and win now if you're going to be able to hs later on. I explain to my kids often that if they want to have a job, car, house, etc. they MUST do their schoolwork.

Of course, make sure you're not requiring too much work. My kids put in about 40 minutes a day at the table. They read to me on the couch and I read to them on the couch. I'm not sure they think of those activities as school. I make sure our read-alouds are fun and they're the reward for good schoolwork. This past year we did Five in a Row and the kids actually begged for this. It might be in the marketing because my kids do watch TV, so this isn't their only source of entertainment. I put on a happy, we're going to have FUN attitude and they buy what I'm selling!

Finally, it is summer and you all might just need a break. Take a couple of weeks off and see if the problems continue when you pick school back up.

We don't use SL but we do read a ton, some of which I glean from the SL lists. My dd will be 5 next week so she is a bit younger than yours but we let her choose 3 books at bed time and I pretty much give her free rein on that, however we don't have a lot of "twaddle" type of books at home so that is not an option. During the day I try to find books for us to read (both fiction & nonfiction) that correspond to things we are doing in our life or things we are learning about otherwise. We almost always read in bed or snuggled up on a couch. I've also found that if I've been too lenient with TV time it is harder to get reading time in.

Maybe if you make reading something she chooses for a while after a few weeks you can get back to your curriculum .

Good Luck

If it helps, my kids are RARELY sitting next to me when I read. The boys are playing Runescape or the girls or playing Polly Pockets or whatever. It is only in bed that they are quiet and still. They all seem to get the story (I frequently interrupt the story with questions) and will read on their own without any prompting from me.

Last night my 14yo was playing Runescape, watching a movie on another window (of his computer), talking to his brother and listening to the book I was reading him. At least ONE male in the family can multitask! :)

I have been trying to get through our SL read alouds and DD always fights it so much that we have finished less than half. Now I cannot start on Core 1 yet, though that is okay, since we are not doing history yet. I bought read-alouds through Core 4 used, and I really want us to be a family that loves school, loves literature and basically live and play school. How do I do this? She fights school no matter what the subject matter unless it is free art time. Is it something I force at first and then we grow into it?

It sounds to me like she just isn't ready yet for chapter books or formal school. I'd read more picture books to her (I let my kids choose when they were younger too). I see the list of things you were doing for her, was she K or 1st grade? When my dd was 1st grade, we only did math about half the time--the rest of the time I let her just play with various math manipulatives. When we did something in a workbook, we did it orally--we sat snuggled on the couch, she said the answers & I wrote them. I didn't require any writing out of my pencil-allergic 1st-graders other than minimal handwriting in their handwriting books.

For phonics/learning to read type things, we often used magnet letters, or letter tiles etc... www.starfall.com is a neat site with some free interactive games & readers. And sometimes I just put a subject away for 3-6 months at this age. If she's going into 1st grade, she may just need a bit more play at this time.

Merry :-)

My Elastigirl is just like that. My oldest would sit for hours and we read all the Little House books when she was 4, but my youngest- no way.

SO she trampolines while I read, or eats (we read at lunch every day), or plays My Little Pony, or turns cartwheels or handsprings, or something. She doesn't hold still, but she does *listen*. It was hard at first for me to not be totally annoyed by her, though, I admit.;)

Her favorite SL books from last year (core 3 and some of 4) was "Walk the World's RIm" and "Skippack School", 2 I thought were total snoozes, myself. We've even re-read WTWR, she liked it that much. So I say *try* all the books, even the ones that look unappealing, because SL knows what they are doing, and often those are the books my girls enjoy the *most*.

ANd also, don't stress about it- I used to think it meant DD had ADD or something, but she can focus just fine on lots of things (like 4 hours of gymnastics!Intricate lego creations!) but just not for read alouds. SOme kids need to grow into that skill, I think.

I have found if I read first thing in the morning, it seems like that 20 or 30 minutes with everyone still snuggled in bed, is worth twice that long later in the day. But the two older boys share a room so it is easy to read to them both still in thier beds.

During other times of the day, they don't sit next to me. They move around and play quietly. They also like to act out what I am reading.

On the other hand, I think it is just possible that Sonlight is not for you, at least not right now. I know that requireing that many books for my boys would not turn them into book lovers.

If you scale back to just the three R's, maybe 45-60 min of school a day, is it still such a battle? Even if it is three 20 min sessions? Do MUS, ETC, and Italics--Those are the only subjects that are worth a battle at this age. Then let her pick out some picture books from the library. If the Sonlight lists aren't working for you then stop.

Thanks everyone for your specific help. She did all the phonics stuff and started reading when she was 3. Finished MFW K when she was 4. She is ready for more meaty stuff and finds K work "babyish". Problem is she is just not wanting to do school at all and she fights read alouds more than work-book things. I think because read-alouds take longer, and because I accidently did a Core 2 read-aloud. I thought it was K. :lol: I was determined to finish it b/c we have two families in our homeschool group reading with us.

I am using WP at our core for at least 4 years, and not SL, but I already have the read-alouds and plan to use them.

My list is for 1st grade which is starting this fall. I could not put that in my sig... it would not fit. My schedule has 45-50 minutes of school twice a day for 1st grade. K was usually 45-60 minutes per day broken up into 2 or 3 sessions. We only plan to do half of Science and Read Alouds that are scheduled in a year, same with History.

It might be a discipline issue, since DS has taken a lot of my time and she is used to having free reign when I am busy with him. She did not do school at all for a year during my pregnancy and his infancy. I guess I was looking for a "btdt and now my child loves SL" type of response. :D I will keep your tips in mind, pulling out legos, dolls etc. for read-alouds and just take a break if one subject seems like too much. More responses are welcome!

Carmen,

My kids are all pretty wiggly and like the other's I allow my kids to move around while I read. The do crafts, they bounce on an exercise ball, play with Legos, ect...

But despite that my 2nd dd just isn't into SL books. She is pretty sensitive and they are just too emotional for her. She asks to stop them. She does much better with the WP RA's, especially Avi books and Bill Wallace (the less serious ones). She is 8, almost 9 now and she still doesn't want to read a book where anyone dies.

Heather

It sounds to me like she just isn't ready yet for chapter books or formal school. I'd read more picture books to her (I let my kids choose when they were younger too). I see the list of things you were doing for her, was she K or 1st grade? When my dd was 1st grade, we only did math about half the time--the rest of the time I let her just play with various math manipulatives. When we did something in a workbook, we did it orally--we sat snuggled on the couch, she said the answers & I wrote them. I didn't require any writing out of my pencil-allergic 1st-graders other than minimal handwriting in their handwriting books.

For phonics/learning to read type things, we often used magnet letters, or letter tiles etc... www.starfall.com is a neat site with some free interactive games & readers. And sometimes I just put a subject away for 3-6 months at this age. If she's going into 1st grade, she may just need a bit more play at this time.

Merry :-)

I agree with Merry. Forcing her to do school is just going to suck all the joy out of it. My ds was very resistant last year so I expected very little, he did a little handwriting, read to me and I read to him everyday, and we played math. This year I added more and we're much more structured and he's doing great and looks forward to school.

Developmentally, he needed time. In 1st grade, I'd ask him to pick something and read to me each day for practice and I would read to him. He's allowed to play with a quiet toy while I read. Finding classics in a bigger format with pictures helped him get interested in read alouds. I got the Wizard of Oz illustrated by Michael Hague out of the library, and all of my kids loved it, including the 3.5 yr old. Sometimes you have to start with short readings and slowly work up to longer ones. It's best to do only what their attention span can handle, even if it's 10 minutes of reading at first, so that they don't devleop the habit of not paying attention. I started Core 1 for 1st grade for ds, he was 6.5, and quickly realized it was not the right time for it, so instead I picked up a GtG manual used and we did that instead- there are lots of picture book suggestions in there and my ds loves geography, so starting with something he was really interested in helped too. I always had a chapter book going so they could get used to it, and read short chunks and slowly increased them, but we mostly read lots of picture books.

We also mostly played math, ds is a big Seuss fan so I got him the Seuss cookbook and we'd make the recipes together. We did some activities from Family Math.

Another year might make a big difference. Also, SL doesn't work for every kid.

It might be a discipline issue, since DS has taken a lot of my time and she is used to having free reign when I am busy with him. She did not do school at all for a year during my pregnancy and his infancy. I guess I was looking for a "btdt and now my child loves SL" type of response. :D I will keep your tips in mind, pulling out legos, dolls etc. for read-alouds and just take a break if one subject seems like too much. More responses are welcome!

Just an observation, which might mean nothing, my dd is 6 and is resistant to school also, just like my ds was last year. My kids seem much more ready at age 7, but that's just my personal experience of course. Something about the age of 6 here.

My dd does handwriting, math because it's her favorite subject, her reader, and then listens to our read alouds and history. I excuse her from the notebooking. So far that's where we're at.

I plan to go back to core 1 next year and think it will go a lot better than the first time I started it.

It might be a discipline issue, since DS has taken a lot of my time and she is used to having free reign when I am busy with him.

It might just be attention span and not discipline. How long is your read aloud time? It is better to start with 5 or 10 minutes and have them beg for more than to tire them with too much. My dd7 listens to stories for about 45 minutes at night and wants more, but it has taken us a few years of reading gradually longer stories to get there. We have read tons of the SL read alouds and readers and now read big meaty books with no pictures, but my dd still loves to have picture books added in for variety too.

I have found that with youngers and attitude toward school work that often what appears to be a discipline problem is a developmental issue instead.

She did all the phonics stuff and started reading when she was 3. Finished MFW K when she was 4. She is ready for more meaty stuff and finds K work "babyish". Problem is she is just not wanting to do school at all and she fights read alouds more than work-book things.

My early reader did not like read alouds at all once she could read herself. Some kids (and adults, like me) are visual learners and we don't care for read alouds unless we can see the pictures:-) Reading aloud chapter books simply did not work for my kids until my son came along. (He is definately an auditory learner). He was a very slow reader but he really enjoys books on tape. If she likes reading, I'd drop the read alouds and find books she can read by herself instead. Also, as much as you might like Sonlight, I'd try to choose books that she likes and wants to listen to.

Susan in TX

My kids are all pretty wiggly and like the other's I allow my kids to move around while I read. The do crafts, they bounce on an exercise ball, play with Legos, ect...

I let mine play quietly too. They love to listen while they play and will usually beg for more! Their narrations are very detailed so that lets me know they are really listening. :001_smile:

I haven't read the other threads, but perhaps the read-alouds just aren't right for your family? My dd cannot stand historical fiction, which SL is so heavy in. I would try a different genre, while letting the kids play, draw, or craft quietly.

Another idea is to read during breakfast and lunch, while your kids are eating. Also try audio books in the car or during lunch.

My dd did not love reading aloud when younger, but has really come to enjoy it now. I don't do SL because of all the historical fiction. We have loved books such as "Summer of the Monkeys," "The Saturdays," "Understood Betsey" and "Eight Cousins."

Instead of forcing the SL, why not put 3-6 weeks of book choices in a Book Basket, and letting dd choose what order to read them in? I know they are the same books, but for some reason having the freedom to choose via a book basket increases cooperation here. Just an idea.

Well, after reading all of your advice, I am going with WP AS1 for 2nd grade instead of forcing the SL. There are lots of pictures and hands-on. I think we will have a lot of fun!I am not worried about trying to teach it, either. Having some good quality SL books is not a bad thing, maybe she can read them herself later. Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I will apply them!

I guess I'll be the been there done that person:>) My girls are just tough nuts. If it doesn't include Pokemon or Neopets they just dig their heals in. Its totally annoying and I'm not the one encouraging the Pokemon and Neopet garbage.

Anyways before Pokemon and Neopets my girls have always just been plain stubborn. They couldn't sit still to save their lives and just weren't interested in being read to or reading in general. Why I don't know I've always read to them since before they were born.

So I thought I would give Sonlight a try. I wanted to instill a love for reading in them. That same love I've always have had. Sonlight would of been the perfect thing for me as a child. So I pieced together the K curriculum and we started on our adventure. At first it was just a disaster as I tried to figure out the best way to DO Sonlight.

In the end I found that the evening time was the best time to read to them. But I had to back up a bit and gradually up the amount of time I read to them. I started with I read until they were fidgety. Then I uped the time more and more every week. I did expect them to sit and listen after the age of 5. I know with my third daughter right now she is 5. I expect her at this stage to be quiet and respectful as I read to her other sisters. I just found uping the time in increments help.

If its any consolation my 3rd daughter is very much like your daughter. She could sit and do workbook work all day long. Just that sitting still and listening it tough. Chapter books are tough. If you have older children you read to and your reading something that is above her head. I would just then at least expect her to sit quietly on the floor playing with something small , legos , littlest pet shop , polly pockets. But only if she is being quiet.

Our end result I have children that love to be read to. Well their reading on their own is getting better but still is a work in progress that's for sure. But wether its Sonlight or just any books in general. The more you read to them the better:>)

Thanks for the BTDT Tracy. I will try increasing gradually.

Everyone's SL advice is appreciated. I decided to put Sonlight on hold until 4th grade, then I will do core 1+2 with the materials I already have. We will work through WP American History first, and add WP materials to all future SL cores. She really loved Little House on the Prairie when my mom read it to her, which is part of the reason I will be doing American History next year. You all have reminded me to listen to my child. I will still need all of the pointers from you all for read alouds, because I will still be doing some read alouds, of course. Now I am off to finish mopping my floors. :auto:

But despite that my 2nd dd just isn't into SL books. She is pretty sensitive and they are just too emotional for her. She asks to stop them. She does much better with the WP RA's, especially Avi books and Bill Wallace (the less serious ones). She is 8, almost 9 now and she still doesn't want to read a book where anyone dies.

Heather - my dd is just the same. Even books that I think shouldn't upset her sometimes do. Thanks for the WP recommendation - I'll look at those.

Personally, I wouldn't fight it on read alouds.

4 or 5 days a week, I would make sure we spent 20 min a day on learning to read, 15 min a day on basic math.

Beyond that, I'd not keep at school subjects that were not fun for all. Let your dd choose her readaloud materials, probably picture books. At this age, I think it is a lot more important for her to love reading (and loving to listen to read alouds) than exactly what you're reading. (Presumably, you screen the books on your bookshelf so she doesn't have any "bad" things to choose from.)

I'd skip history, science, etc until/unless it is fun. Science at that age should be all fun read-alouds and appealing experiments/activities. History should be engaging picture books and appealing/fun activities.

Personally, I wouldn't fight it on read alouds.

4 or 5 days a week, I would make sure we spent 20 min a day on learning to read, 15 min a day on basic math.

Beyond that, I'd not keep at school subjects that were not fun for all. Let your dd choose her readaloud materials, probably picture books. At this age, I think it is a lot more important for her to love reading (and loving to listen to read alouds) than exactly what you're reading. (Presumably, you screen the books on your bookshelf so she doesn't have any "bad" things to choose from.)

I'd skip history, science, etc until/unless it is fun. Science at that age should be all fun read-alouds and appealing experiments/activities. History should be engaging picture books and appealing/fun activities.

You are right on the mark that I should keep things fun and develop a love for reading and learning. If she hates it, then I am not exactly doing that. :lol: I thought Sonlight was supposed to do this.

I have to point out that she already reads at a 4th grade level, so I am trying to focus on other things. The reason I want to do Science is because I am trying to add fun to our homeschool with it, we are mainly doing the experiments and little else. :D