Menu

Recommend movies to go along with Shakespeare study?

I'd love to hear some recommendations for movies and/or vidoes of stageplays to go along with DDs study of Shakespeare. I would like both true to the original and also ones that are based on his plays but are more modern or a twist to the story. Here are the plays that she will be studying:

Romeo and Juliet

Julius Caesar

Hamlet

Macbeth

King Lear

Twelfth Night

As You Like It

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Merchant of Venice

Thanks!

I just found the following in another thread. These were recommended by Lori D. (Thanks, Lori!) I welcome additional recommendations.

For viewing:

- Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare) -- VERY good; alert: streetwalkers in the background of one scene have dresses with necklines below the breast level

- Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare) -- VERY good; alert: opening sequence (which can be skipped with no loss of lines at all), has a quick shot of bare bums as people are racing around getting ready

Also consider a "spin-off" or related movie once you read/view the original:

- West Side Story (Romeo & Juliet) -- New York 1950s gangs Broadway musical

- 10 Things I Hate About You (Taming of the Shrew) -- modern high school comedy

- Throne of Blood (Macbeth) -- Samurai version

I found a few more in previous threads. I'll keep adding what I find here. It may be helpful to someone else to have them all compiled into one thread. I apologize if I miss crediting any of the Hive. I know that Regentrude and jhschool made some of the following recommendations.

Hamlet with David Tennant

Much Ado about Nothing with David Tennant

Midsummer Night's Dream with Stanley Tucci

Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo di Caprio

A little further out than just the plays:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Slings and Arrows http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B000XUF6BU

There's also Kiss Me Kate.

You can watch the David Tennant Hamlet online:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1473795626/

Kenneth Branagh also did one. We watched it. It was fairly good. But I seem to recall it was 4 hours long. That took us all week.

Branagh also did a Henry V that people think is great, although we never really got into it (his Much Ado about Nothing was really good, though.)

And a short but interesting read:

http://www.naturalhi...08-09_pick.html

"Shakespeare in the Bush", in which an anthropologist learns the real meaning of Hamlet

I'd love to hear some recommendations for movies and/or vidoes of stageplays to go along with DDs study of Shakespeare. I would like both true to the original and also ones that are based on his plays but are more modern or a twist to the story. Here are the plays that she will be studying:

Romeo and Juliet

Julius Caesar

Hamlet

Macbeth

King Lear

Twelfth Night

As You Like It

Merchant of Venice

Thanks!

There is a good King Lear adaptation with Patrick Stewart set in Texas. I think the title is King of Texas. It uses Shakespearian language in an old west setting.

Not any of the plays but I quite enjoyed Michael Wood's In Search of Shakespeare. Part biography part analysis of his works it is an interesting look at some of the theories about a man about whom we know so little.

(Available on Netflix disc and instant play as a 4 part series.)

I found Richard III with Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart's Macbeth fascinating re-settings.

There is also another Hamlet with Mel Gibson.

Romeo and Juliet

Leonardo DeCaprio's version

Hamlet

Kenneth Branaugh one and David Tennant one

Macbeth

Hated the Patrick Stewart one, don't have a better suggestion

Twelfth Night

Kenneth Branagh one

As You Like It

Kenneth Branagh one

Kenneth Branagh one

Thanks!

We have generally started with the BBC versions of the plays because they come closest to how my children envision the works after reading them. I find that the more experience my students have with a work, the more they are willing to deviate from the traditional play.

Romeo and Juliet - We prefer this version to the DiCaprio one. Caution for nudity.

Julius Caesar - This is the only version we have seen and it sparked a long discussion about what we expect from Shakespearean theater-trained actors versus film actors.

Hamlet - we have seen both the BBC version with Sir Derek Jacobi and Kenneth Branagh's. We all love the BBC version hands-down, but have not seen David Tenant yet.

Macbeth - The Royal Shakespearean Company's production of Macbeth is stripped down graphically, which may bother some students, but then the whole focus is on the superb acting of Sir Ian McKellan and Dame Judi Dench. This is my favorite version, but my kids prefer the BBC one.

King Lear - we have seen the Orson Welles version and are looking for a better one

Twelfth Night

As You Like It

Merchant of Venice- The BBC version is one of our favorite Shakespeare films.

Not any of the plays but I quite enjoyed Michael Wood's In Search of Shakespeare. Part biography part analysis of his works it is an interesting look at some of the theories about a man about whom we know so little.

(Available on Netflix disc and instant play as a 4 part series.)

I found Richard III with Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart's Macbeth fascinating re-settings.

There is also another Hamlet with Mel Gibson.

My oldest son and I watched Patrick Stewart's Macbeth this afternoon. My son's take was "good, but very intense." It would not be my first choice if a student has never seen a production of the play or is sensitive to gore, but I would agree that the re-setting is fascinating and this version is well worth watching especially for Stewart's performance.