Menu

Writing curriculum suggestions

angelmama1209

Hi all! I am starting to look for a writing curric for my upcoming 3rd grader. She has had no formal writing instruction so far. She LOVES to write stories and letters. I need something to teach her how to gather information, organize her thoughts, and put them down in a coherent manner. I REALLY don't want to squelch her LOVE of or CREATIVITY for writing. Any suggestions of where to start? Thanks!

I am using Just Write I with my 3rd grader, who loves to write stories in her free time. It teaches the basics of writing (organizing ideas, putting thoughts in order, etc.) and has the student practice them with creative writing. It does not seem to have killed my daughter's love of writing yet. :001_smile: I plan to have her go through the second book in 4th grade.

I recommend Writing Tales for her. My younger, who loves writing, enjoys it. It is gentle and enjoyable.

This is what I was coming to recommend. :) Your dd would probably do well with Level 2. My 4th grader is using it this year. It is a really fun and well-written program. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I use WWE coupled with the Bravewriter materials. WWE helps with the organizing the thoughts and getting them out in a coherent order aspect. Bravewriter helps with the creativity and the writing and editing process. For the OP--you may also do a search for Scholastic graphic organizers to supplement whatever you choose. They are really helpful in teaching children how to plan their writing, thoughts, readings etc.

The writing chapters in Bob Jones English sound like they would be a great fit for your dd. Here is a link to the 3rd grade book. You will see on the sample's table of contents that every other chapter is a writing project. Bob Jones is great at using lots of graphic organizers, charts, etc., to help the student organize all their ideas/information. The other chapters cover grammar, so you'd have both things in one book.

My ds doesn't like to write and a big part of why is coming up with what to write, so I'm using IEW. It's teaching is based quite a bit on rewriting other material. I think that will be very useful for research/report writing. If ds was a more creative writer, I would be using BJU.

IEW teaches the student how to take notes from multiple sources, how to organize the information into coherent paragraphs, and how to write a mulitple paragraph report.

It teaches story sequence outlines to help students write coherent stories.

It also teaches stylistic techniques very well, better than any other program I have seen. After learning the techniques, one can use them for any other type of writing, including creative writing.

I also found Winning With Writing (level 3) very helpful to teach my 3rd grader how to write a solid paragraph, as well as other types of writing assignments (the friendly letter, etc.).