Menu

s/o of big hit under the tree: The Bunn MyCafe MCU

Halftime Hope

Laura Corin, nmoira?, and several others probably remember giving me advice for dd. None of my family are coffee drinkers, and I needed to know what to do to brew single-serve coffee for dd. (We had been futzing around with a coffee maker I keep for company, but that was a huge waste.)

Dd took a coffee cone to college and has been using that (and saving herself a mint over K-cups) but she was finally ready for the convenience of something that wouldn't send her downstairs to the kitchen microwave, as appliances in the girls' dorm roons are severely limited.

We got her a Bunn MCU, the new, do-it-all version of the My Cafe, not to be confused with the ones that only handle pods. It is a gem! It is *fast*, *quiet*, and will handle pods, k-cups (or the k-cup inserts), loose coffee or tea grounds, or just heat water. It has a two year warranty (the K machines only have a one-year) and it is solid, sturdy, very well built. Many of my friends have k-machines, and they are not sturdy nor long-lived.

Anyway, just a "heads up" for anyone looking to replace or purchase a single serve machine for the first time. They seem to be available only from Amazon, directly from the Bunn website, and in (of all places) most Lowe's stores.

We're in love with hers, and I'll miss it when it goes to college with her. I'll have to sweet talk my teakettle again. : )

Merry Christmas!

ETA: just for you, KungFu Panda, http://www.bunnathom...rve/my-cafe-mcu For anyone interested, don't get the MyCafe MC, that's the other one that only brews pods. Bunn is supposed to be coming out with modular "drawers" (the interchangeable holders for the coffee/tea) to give the MC more functionality, but they haven't put them on the market yet.

ETA2: Lowe's had the best price, and I like their liberal return policy.

We received one of these as a gift. The only thing we didn't like about it is the splattering. If a tall mug or travel mug is used, it's fine, but a shorter mug doesn't capture all the splattering water or coffee. It looks very messy after making a few cups of coffee. It made better coffee than the Keurig machines or other pod coffee makers we have tried in the past. When making coffee using ground beans, it was a little difficult to empty the grounds out of the filter right after brewing. The grounds really get compressed inside the filter! I loved being able to get hot water that doesn't have coffee grounds or coffee flavor in it like with the Keurig machines. There is nothing worse in this world than tea that has a coffee taste!! Unfortunately, dh put it away in favor of our old machine. The rest of the family likes having the large water reservoir. If they come out with one with a large reservoir, I'll be buying it immediately. A place to store all the inserts would be nice. It was awkward having them all on the counter.

We got her a Bunn MCU, the new, do-it-all version of the My Cafe, not to be confused with the ones that only handle pods. It is a gem! It is *fast*, *quiet*, and will handle pods, k-cups (or the k-cup inserts), loose coffee or tea grounds, or just heat water. It has a two year warranty (the K machines only have a one-year) and it is solid, sturdy, very well built. Many of my friends have k-machines, and they are not sturdy nor long-lived.

That sounds good - I'm glad you found a solution.

Laura

Her intention is to use the hot water "drawer" for tea bags and such, since we both like our tea steeped "just so," and she'll use the fill-your-own coffee or loose tea drawer most of the time. I think she is saving the few k-cups that she got for Christmas for when she has friends up to her room. We supplied her with many bags of yummy coffee which only has to be measured and brewed. Yaay!

The charm of the Bunn is that it will handle most evrything one wants to try....except heating milk for my hot chocolate. Oh, well...that's what I have a microwave for. ; )

We received one of these as a gift. The only thing we didn't like about it is the splattering. If a tall mug or travel mug is used, it's fine, but a shorter mug doesn't capture all the splattering water or coffee. It looks very messy after making a few cups of coffee. It made better coffee than the Keurig machines or other pod coffee makers we have tried in the past. When making coffee using ground beans, it was a little difficult to empty the grounds out of the filter right after brewing. The grounds really get compressed inside the filter! I loved being able to get hot water that doesn't have coffee grounds or coffee flavor in it like with the Keurig machines. There is nothing worse in this world than tea that has a coffee taste!! Unfortunately, dh put it away in favor of our old machine. The rest of the family likes having the large water reservoir. If they come out with one with a large reservoir, I'll be buying it immediately. A place to store all the inserts would be nice. It was awkward having them all on the counter.

Yep, it splatters a bit. Not terribly though, and like you said, a tall mug solves that problem if one is entirely averse to splatters. I am planning to pick up a couple of fingertip towels at Tuesday Morning so she can wipe up if she wants to. She has a cute basket that holds the drawers, and I think we'll pick up another at that matches it for her coffees, mugs, and stuff.

The funny thing about the reservoir concept is that with this one you pour in what you want to come out every time you get a drink. I must be missing something. Is is it just that there isn't enough hot water for a larger family to have a hot beverage all at once?

ETA: the cleaning up of splatters and pouring up what you want are "responsible adult" features. I can see how the K-machines might be better for kids who are learning dependability. ; )