Menu

MUS. Did your kid turn out fine?

@thescrappyhomeschooler .... apparently, I am stalking you. On a serious note, I have tried other programs but MUS seems to be trucking along pretty well here. I am a little nervous. I plan to supplement with a hardcore Classical Catholic math program. Our highest level with MUS is Pre-algebra. All three of my children are using MUS.

Here are 2 past threads with positive testimonials from those whose students did well in college after using MUS all the way through: 
"MUS in high school"
"MUS and test scores"

And more experiences:
"Opinions on Math-U-See higher math"
"8th grade math after MUS Zeta"
"MUS Algebra and higher maths: adequate or no?"
"MUS upper level math...question"
"Is MUS really not good enough?"
"MUS question" (results if you used it through high school)
"Anyone use MUS all the way through?"
"MUS in high school"
"MUS for a STEM student?"
"Happily ever after stories sought"

Our story, using MUS through high school:

DS with mild LDs here (spelling, writing, and abstract math concepts). We found MUS in 5th grade, and used it up through Pre-Algebra. We supplemented with Singapore 4A/B, 5A/B and 6A/B, and a few Keys To... workbooks. He used MUS Alg. 1, Geom., and Alg. 2, and then in 12th grade, Abeka Consumer Math (I wanted him to leave home with a solid foundation in the real-life math skills he will use all his life).

When he did the assessment tests for admission to the community college for dual enrollment in his senior year, the math portion placed him at College Algebra level! We had not expected him to score so well! Many of the high school graduates from our public school system don't score that well.

Also, DS scored right at average on the ACT and SAT math sections -- not below average, which is where we expected his LDs would place him. We were very excited for DS, as having struggled horribly with the abstract math concepts, MUS apparenty worked well!

I think the key is to use the math program that best connects with your student, and then supplement to help stretch their math thinking a bit.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

My story is not a success story:

I used MUS with my oldest all the way through Algebra I, II and Geometry. We started with the early MUS books that had 3 years in one book. I did not supplement. He made mostly A's and high B's. His ACT's were through the roof in all sections but math. His math scores most definitely did not reflect his grades. He said some of the math was on stuff he had never even seen. I will add that he did Algebra I in 9th- so he had not finished a full 3 years of HS math when he took his ACT's the first go around.

He ended up taking College Algebra/dual enrollment at a community college his senior year. He found the course quite challenging. I'm sure other people can have great success with MUS, but I switched all my younger children to different math programs after our oldest.

We are not all the way through hs and in college yet, so I had resisted the urge to post on this thread. However, this weekend we got back PLAN test scores. Ds took the test cold, no studying or prep of any kind. He is a sophomore and just in Geometry. His Math score was second only to his English score on the PLAN. The geometry section was 98th percentile and he isn't done with geometry yet. The only question he missed was one at the end he didn't have time to answer.

We do supplement with LoF in the summer, but have been using MUS since Epsilon. This isn't the first standardized test that has borne out how well MUS is doing for this student, but it is the most recent. We are very happy with it. I spoke to admissions at the local state U today and ds qualified to start classes there in the fall with this test score. No regrets about MUS here.