Menu

MUS and test scores

Someone who has been in my shoes, can you please offer some advice?

DD (Jr.) has completed MUS through Geo. and is currently in ALG 2. She does "ok" on the MUS tests, but math is definitely not her favorite subject. The real problem is that any test she has ever taken (ITBS, PSAT, ACT) she just does not do well in the math portion. Do I just let it go? I really don't want to change curriculum this late in the game, but am I doing her a disservice if I don't expose her to something else? She plans to attend college....but will not be a math major. I just feel that with her percentage score in math on the PSAT being only higher than 30% of juniors, this is really holding her back from potential scholarships. She did great in reading a writing. Currently we are progressing through Alg 2 slowly and will end up finishing next December...so basically taking 1 1/2 years to do a year course. Any other MUS users see this same problem with standardized tests?

We use MUS and did ITBS/ITED last year with very good results. Math is definitely my kids weakest subject and they both scored quite high.

Perhaps the problems lies in the fact she is quite behind in her sequence. She is doing Geometry in her Jr year. Many kids do it as Freshman and almost all have had it by sophomore year. Tests for Junior year will expect Geometry completed and Algebra 2 underway or finished. Changing curriculum won't help her catch up.

:grouphug:

My daughter used MUS Geometry last year and took the PSAT this fall. She didn't miss a single geometry problem on the PSAT. I don't know if I can attribute this specifically to MUS, but she didn't do any prep other than taking the practice test that we got in the booklet from the school.

I don't think I would switch curriculum midway through 11th grade, and I don't think you are doing her a disservice by continuing with MUS. If she is doing MUS on her own, I'd look into finding a tutor to work with her. A math tutor could also help her with test prep.

I am not sure what you mean by doing "ok" on the MUS tests. She should be scoring high on the tests to show mastery of the material. Is she completing the Honors page for each lesson? This will help her to take some of the material and use it in a different way - also showing mastery.

It sounds like the testing is reflecting the fact that she is just doing "ok" with her curriculum. We have always used the prep. books for the ACT test. Perhaps working through the math section in a book like that would help you to see where the problem lies. They usually have these at the library; it doesn't matter if they don't have the most current one.

Blessings,

I like the idea of using the test prep books to assess areas of weakness. You could also suppliment with other texts or online resources such as Khan Academy. Algebra I & II and Geometry would be where I would focus.

The one thing to consider with MUS is that its scope and sequence are different than most standard programs from which tests are based. Many forum members who have used MUS for Algebra 1 do not consider it to fully cover the same scope as a standard Algebra 1 course. 8Fill and others have used it as a good *Pre-Algebra* for their kids. For example I don't think MUS Algebra 1 includes subjects such as Quadradic Equations, Point-Slope, Functions, Function Notation, etc... which occur in other standard Algebra 1 texts. There is a National Common Core Standard which High Schoolers are supposed to study and follow. Tests are based on these standards. Look at how many of these she may have studied so far?

http://www.corestand...h Standards.pdf

We switched from MUS Pre-Algebra to TabletClass because I was looking for something which would cover more core standards with greater depth in preparation for Algebra 1. However at this stage for your DD as a junior it might be too hard to switch to something else or maybe she could? I don't really know. But I would definately suppliment with other sources at the vary least with a focus on Algebra I & II and Geometry. If she can get stronger in those areas she should do better on the placement tests. Practice tests should show you similar lower scores and point to areas you can work with her on. Or as others have suggested maybe get a tutor for those areas. Sometimes a third party can be more objective and look at things from a different angle with her.

Thanks everyone for the great input! It's great how so many take valuable time to support eachother in these types of situations!

I actually e-mailed MUS with my concerns and I got a very helpful response with some great suggestions that we will try. I will try some of your suggestions as well!

Thanks again!

Would you please share MUS's suggestions? My son is dealing with the same situation!

Jennifer

Does the PM feature still exist? I guess I need to search for it to find out what you have to say, lol!

Yes, just highlight the user's name in the thread and you will see 'send message.' Alternatively if you click on their picture and go to their profile you can send a message from there as well.

I also think if Sharon has info from MUS which addresses her initial question it could benefit the group to hear their response. There may be others in this same boat either now or in the future.

Yes, just highlight the user's name in the thread and you will see 'send message.' Alternatively if you click on their picture and go to their profile you can send a message from there as well.

I also think if Sharon has info from MUS which addresses her initial question it could benefit the group to hear their response. There may be others in this same boat either now or in the future.

I would love to hear the info from MUS as well! :)