Menu

Dog owners, question about what happens on those walks

momofkhm

I own a dog. When I take my dog running with me and he does his "business", I pick it up in a bag and carry it with me until I get to a trash can or home, which ever come first. I assumed this was proper etiquette.

But lately I've seen lots of little plastic bags tied on the top and on the side of the path, sidewalk, road. Earlier this week I even saw someone with a dog tie the bag and drop it on the side of the path. Is this what's done?

Am I wrong? Do I not need to leave the place like I found it (poop free)? Cause if I can put it in a bag and not carry it with me, that's what I want to do!

I own a dog. When I take my dog running with me and he does his "business", I pick it up in a bag and carry it with me until I get to a trash can or home, which ever come first. I assumed this was proper etiquette.

But lately I've seen lots of little plastic bags tied on the top and on the side of the path, sidewalk, road. Earlier this week I even saw someone with a dog tie the bag and drop it on the side of the path. Is this what's done?

Am I wrong? Do I not need to leave the place like I found it (poop free)? Cause if I can put it in a bag and not carry it with me, that's what I want to do!

So there is like a "poop patrol" that comes along and picks up bags of poop?

Yes, you leave the place like you found it. Those people just don't care. That's disgusting, dropping it for others to step on, or even look at. Ewww. Take care of your own dog, I'd want to tell them. Don't leave it for me to take care of for you.

I've noticed that around here a bit. No. It's not OK, at least not until someone is appointed neighborhood poop fairy and cleans it all up (I vote a rotation of the dog owners who engage in the practice). I either drop it off in public bin, place it in someone's curbed garbage bin (but only on garbage day and only if it hasn't yet been picked up), or take it home.

Do you ever wonder what the dogs think of the reverential way we treat their poop? I sometimes fancy they see the bins as some manner of sacred receptacle to which dog people are drawn from far and wide to make morning and evening offerings. :tongue_smilie:

I do this all the time, but my walk basically takes me on a loop. Instead of carrying the poop bag the whole time, I stash it somewhere discretely and then pick it up on my way back. Usually this works out because my dogs do their business early in the walk and not when I am already headed back.

I take the poop with me and deposit it in my own trash can. I would never dream of dumping it in someone's trash can or leaving it on the ground. I don't even let my dog on a homeowner's lawn. He stays on the road side of the sidewalk. I see people walking their dogs with a really long leash, and the dogs are 15 feet into the front yard of someone's property doing their business. Even if it is picked up it can leave poop behind. I think that is very rude! Our town has a $100 fine for not picking up after a dog.