Menu

Giving in to the paranoia: Are we doing enough???

Ever since this year started, I've had this niggling feeling that maybe we aren't doing quite enough. I'm working hard to focus on my student, and our goals, and not compare to everbody else, to be relaxed and to give us time to focus and delve more deeply into subjects, rather than motoring ahead, and to focus on learning skills to mastery, rather than checking boxes. I feel very good about what we have accomplished and what I have planned. But for some reason that little voice in the back of my head is still wondering, "Is this really enough?"

So I decided to give in, and ask what you guys think!!! If anyone can make it through this tome, thank you for reading!

Here is a typical day for us. Dd is a bright, enthusiastic 10 year old 5th grader, in her second year of homeschooling, for whom most school-related things have come easily. She was GATE identified in ps (though there was no GATE program). She has a good attitude about school, and is compliant and cooperative, loves to read and does it on her own time. Although she doesn't ask for or do extra work - she loves to spend her free time playing.

Math - 1 hour. MM 5 lesson, and then if there is still time in the hour we do some Life of Fred (Fractions or Decimals), Zaccaro Challenge Math, or Hands-On Equations. Math is going very well, we are working hard on developing problem-solving skills, but even more importantly, working on developing an attitude of persistence and perseverence to work on hard problems, not melt down and cry and decide we are stupid.

Writing - 15 min-45 min. We are doing WWS, in Week 18. It is going great, she really likes the program and her writing is improving. The outlining lessons she goes through quickly, the Topos exercises we may spread over 2 days.

Lang Arts - ~30 min. Looping through LOE (with the advanced spelling lists) and MCT Town level. This is easy, pleasant, and fun for her.

Latin - ~30 min. Latin Prep. She wants to learn Latin, and generally enjoys and works at it. I'm kind of dragging with the Latin, lately. I feel like maybe I am doing too much of the work? I scribe for her with the whiteboard during the translations, or she does them orally. She is not sitting at a desk struggling over it herself. This she would not enjoy, but she loves working through it together. I'm trying to hold myself back and make sure she is doing the work, and she is definitely game to do it. Not sure why I am less enthusiastic about it . . .

Science 30 min-1 hour- right now we are kind of in a lull, we will be starting Story of Science/Aristotle in January. We've done cell biology, microscopes/microbiology, fungi, protists, etc. so far this year. Until Jan. I have her doing Equine Science from WP 3 days a week, independently, and we do MP's Entomology together - I read and then she fills out the study guide, and I read from another vintage book.

History 30 min - 1 hour - Every day is different, but here is a representative example: I read aloud a chapter from SOTW. Last year I was asking comp questions and then having her orally summarize each section, but this year we are mostly doing discussions - I throw out an interesting question, or make a connection between this chapter and something else we've studied, and we talk about it. Discussion may last 5 minutes or 20 minutes, depending on the topic or her background knowledge. Then we will look at an atlas or I'll print out a map to have her lable, etc., and she puts dates on a timeline. I'm not requiring any written output right now for history, unless I can't be here, in which case I will have her summarize or outline the chapter after reading it,

Lit - 30 min - 2-3 hours, varies widely. She either reads a book related to the history topic, or another fiction book, and/or I will read aloud. We've been doing Sherlock Holmes short stories together. I also read aloud to both of them at bedtime. For schooltime read alouds, or books she finishes, we will have a literary analysis discussion, but again I'm not requiring any written output at this point.

She's working 4-5 hours a day with me, and then reading for at least another hour a day, sometimes considerably longer.

I guess when I write it all down, I feel like maybe there isn't enough written output? But she does a WWS lesson every day, and we have really great discussions. I feel that if I required more writing, it might be too much - and we'd do less discussing? I don't know, I guess this is the crux of my dilemna: Is it enough that I know she is understanding and internalizing the material, because she is able to have in-depth discussions about it? Or do I need some other kind of tangible demonstration? There really isn't a ton of written output at the end of our day, to point to and say, "See, this is what she learned/accomplished today." But I know it is happening!

So, Dr. HIve, diagnosis? Enough? Not enough? What would you do differently?

It looks great to me. In fact, your description of your days sounds very similar to the way I used to homeschool (so of course it sounds great!). Anyway, if you really want to add something, you could add a weekly writing assignment where she writes about something she is learning in history, science, or literature and then gradually up the required word count. I used to like to do this because it gave my sons a chance to write something that didn't have strict parameters. It also gave me a window into their understanding of what we were learning. And it gave me a chance to see how their writing was developing in a more holistic way.

Also, if you're not already, you could allow her to type her written work. I know doing that one thing greatly improved the attitudes about writing in our house.

I think what you are doing sounds fantastic. Because I am used to my kids' needs, I did wonder if you wanted to add some additional writing (creative and/or across the curriculum).

Art? Music? Logic? At that age, especially with a gifted child, I would bring in current events. The Sonlight IGs have a great description of how to start with exposure and move toward making and defending a position on important issues. My kids are really enjoying our "formal" discussions.

It looks very comparable to my 5th grader's schedule. Toss in some saint studies and Catholic theology and switch what you are using for curriculum and their schedules look very similar.

I think it is plenty for 5th. 5th -7th are the last yrs where my kids have wiggle room. Once they hit 8th grade, their days get intense. I would say enjoy this time now.

I think what you are doing sounds fantastic. Because I am used to my kids' needs, I did wonder if you wanted to add some additional writing (creative and/or across the curriculum).

Art? Music? Logic? At that age, especially with a gifted child, I would bring in current events. The Sonlight IGs have a great description of how to start with exposure and move toward making and defending a position on important issues. My kids are really enjoying ourformal" discussions.

Yes! I was trying (unsuccessfully) to not be toooo long winded . . . we do artist and/or composer studies once a week during history time - it is very popular! We have a piano, and just got a guitar, which dh is taking up. I would love to have her learn an instrument but she is resistant, and since she is resistant to so little that I ask of her, I haven't pushed it.

I have Art of Argument planned for next year . . . we have done Mind Benders, but right now I'm focusing on problem solving/critical thinking within the context of math, rather than as something separate. I think she'll really be ready for AofA next year, if not sooner.

She also does Creative Writing on Fridays (and any other time she feels like it) - she is working through Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic at the moment, and really enjoys that.

Additional writing across the curriculum is one thing I am considering - I just realize that SWB teaches writing a lot better than I do, so I'm kind of waiting for her to get a few more techniques under her belt via WWS. But I like the idea of a weekly paper that is separate from WWS. I just went through WWS and starred the lessons that are heavy on writing - on the other days, I could assign a different writing project, and it wouldn't be too much. I just don't want to double up on a heavy writing day in WWS.

Thank you all 3 for replying - I respect all of your opinions, so it is nice to hear that what we are doing sounds reasonable!

Well obviously I don't know your girls and their academic hunger, but it certainly sounds like you're doing enough. I would go in a different direction and see if you can find something that draws out their passion and instills maturity. My dd always has these growth spurts and maturity bumps at her 1/2 birthday, which for us ends up mid-year, right about now in fact. At that point, suddenly everything we had been doing that had been enough seems to easy. Sometimes we shake it up by adding new things or upping the ante. Sometimes it's necessary to change the TENOR of things and the thought process. In your case, they might be ready for more maturity, more ownership. Maybe they need a 4-H project or to go to someone's house once a week to learn to knit. Or a science fair project. Something they can own, be passionate about, schedule, use a calendar for, have responsibility for. You mentioned drawing character expectations into your other schoolwork. It comes through in activities as well, and I think it's as or more important than the academics.

Well whatever. You're doing plenty and doing great. If they seem dissatisfied and have grown, sure, shake it up. But I'd look at outside stuff to help them take those steps of accountability, planning, and maturity.

Math is going very well, we are working hard on developing problem-solving skills, but even more importantly, working on developing an attitude of persistence and perseverence to work on hard problems, not melt down and cry and decide we are stupid.

This is so important. Sometimes what is being learned in a subject is something that doesn't show up in the paperwork. These kinds of lessons can be draining as well. I try not to underestimate how much is going on beneath the surface when I am deciding what is an acceptable course load at any given time.

Science 30 min-1 hour- right now we are kind of in a lull, we will be starting Story of Science/Aristotle in January.

I would be hesitant to change too much until January when you add this in. We had a bit of a lull in language arts while I was waiting for the new edition of Word Within the Word to be released. I added in a bunch of stuff to fill the void and now that we've started MCT level 4 I've had to prune again, with all the angst that brings. ;)

I guess when I write it all down, I feel like maybe there isn't enough written output? But she does a WWS lesson every day, and we have really great discussions. I feel that if I required more writing, it might be too much - and we'd do less discussing? I don't know, I guess this is the crux of my dilemna: Is it enough that I know she is understanding and internalizing the material, because she is able to have in-depth discussions about it? Or do I need some other kind of tangible demonstration? There really isn't a ton of written output at the end of our day, to point to and say, "See, this is what she learned/accomplished today." But I know it is happening!

For us, there has just recently (11yo/6th grade) been a big leap in output. Last year it was a huge struggle, so I pulled back my expectations. Things are going much better this year. I attribute this partly to a change of resources/approaches and partly (maybe mostly) to a leap in maturity.

I think what you are doing sounds wonderful. The discussions you are having are the basis of being able to make connections. I would keep doing what you are doing using SWB's program to get the writing skills solid. In 7th-8th grade, those writing skills and the discussion skills will start to mesh together and that is when more writing kicks in---at least that's the way it's worked for my kids.

I hope that made sense. I meant that I have always felt you do lots with the girls. I always wonder if I should be doing more after I read your posts. ;)

I'm totally cracking up, because as I was writing my thread, I was thinking "OMG, I am totally outing myself! What will Hilltop think? She does such great stuff with her dd!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: