Menu

Estate Planning

Mama Geek

We have been working on wills and while in the process, I started thinking if anything happened to me or us someone needed to be able to figure out online subscriptions and amazon accounts and bank account passwords, what we have on auto bill pay, information on my blog, where we have stuff stashed in storage units, etc. This is a nightmare. Do you have one document that covers most of this stuff that would be easy for someone else to pick up?

Yes, we have a 3 page typed document listing all the credit cards, insurance info, etc.

It also lists the locations in the house where various important files are located.

Each of our fathers has a copy of it, and one in our home safe.

Ideally I update it annually, but it's been awhile.

Guest inoubliable

That printable book is very good. We would need a bit more medical stuff, some addition of adoption papers and our son's SSI/disability information, etc. but it is a great place to start.

It makes starting so very easy. I kept a pack of post-its nearby when I was working on it so that I could remember to add things that weren't already addressed in the book. We added some extra medical information and some adoption information to ours, too. I also keep my pages in page protectors. That way I can keep them clean and neat.

Thanks for posting. That looks fantastic.

That's awesome, thank you.

We also included a family evacuation plan, adult, child, and pet identification pages (complete with pictures attached), copies of ATM and credit cards (back and front), copies of insurance cards, copies of any commendations or awards from DH's work, copies of insurance declarations, our advance directives, enrollment in our state's advance directive registry and organ donation papers, and copies of some savings bonds that the kids have. All of these are kept in page protectors along with the pages from that printable book. I ordered some page protectors specifically for photographs and took photos of our cars and house - those are in there right next to a copy of our lease. Again, all in page protectors. Copies of our notices of intent, the state's acknowledgment of the NOI, and the children's test scores for the end of the year are also in there. Copies of birth certificates, state ID, driver's licenses are in there as well. We have originals in a safe and backups on some small thumb drives. We knew a family who was displaced by Hurricane Katrina years ago and they lost all of that sort of thing. It was awful watching them have to show proof of her DH's work history, rental history, their children's education history, etc. All of that was lost in the storm.

Thank you all for your input. I like some of the additional ideas you have added that I hadn't thought of. I have 1 filebox that has a lot of these types of things in it because we travel so much. If we had to evacuate it would be one of the first things in the car after dd and the dog. The lawyer we are working with has a form with lots of questions covered above as well. I am planning to keep a copy as I gather all of this other stuff.