Menu

Getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow--which case should I buy?

ssexton

Gform, Gform, Gform!! I can't stress that nearly enough. We've had iPhones since the month the first one came out and I think this is the best case. Otterboxes are good against crushes but pretty rotten for drop protection. Since drops are what we face the most you're best off with a Gform case.

They aren't as easy to find in stores but they are worth finding online. Our friend in town sells them in his store and he demonstrates it by throwing his phone in a spinning toss across the room. I think he's nuts but it's a good and effective example. :)

Go to YouTube and watch the company's many excellent videos.

I second the Griffin. I have a Lifeproof, an Otterbox, and the Griffin Survivor. I like the Survivor the best. It does make it bulkier, but I don't mind that too much. I like the protection and not having to worry about my phone.

I have this Griffin case for my iPhone 5. I had an Otterbox previously, and I agree that this is a better case. The only thing that annoys me about it is that you have to move a little piece of the case away from the camera lense before taking pictures. However, the lense no longer gets dirty, so it is actually a positive.

I have an Otterbox (not the biggest and best one) and have dropped it several times without damage. It's too slippery but does make sliding in and out of pockets easier.

Definitely get the Zagg screen cover, with whichever case. I have never seen a screen crack with that on it (and have seen several crack without it).

I like the Otterbox Commuter. I drop and bang my phone around a lot, and this has always been the best in terms of holding up to my abuse AND being able to slide in/out of my pocket with relative ease (without being so slippery that I drop it that way LOL).

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-5-Commuter-Series/apl4-new-iphone-5,default,pd.html

I just did what the lady at the Apple store recommended- paid for AppleCare and I don't worry about adding a bulky case. I get two replacements over the next two years for $49 each that covers any and all accidental damage. I have never had a problem with my old iPhone and now the iphone5 and I love how slim it is plus how the glass feels without a screen protector.

I keep my phone in my back pocket or in a special pocket in my purse so I'm not super careful with it. No scratches yet so far.

I like to live on the edge. What can I say? Lol

I really love my otter box defender series. I had one for my 4s and loved it enough to buy it again for my 5. I dropped my 4s several times and once spilled a coke on it. The otter box has held up well.

Also, consider getting AppleCare for it. It's $100 and you can only get it during the first 30 days you have it, but it covers replacement due to accident for $49 and will do so up to 3 times. Insurance at Verizon charges I think $200 and there's and $9 monthly fee (roughly).