Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for some fiction books to recommend to my 15 yr old dd. I remember reading In This House of Brede and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy when I was around 18-20 and falling in love with my Catholic faith. Something soul stirring but age appropriate. She's also being confirmed this year and is so very excited to be receiving the Sacrament. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regina Doman is a Catholic author who writes for teens. She has a lovely series where she takes a classic fairy tale and puts in in a modern setting. There is overt Catholic imagery, but it is not hit-you-over-the-head moralizing. They are lighter reading, but still very good. The first in the series is called The Shadow of the Bear. There are five books in the series right now, with a sixth coming out soon.

At that age, The Story of a Soul by St. Therese was very impactful to me. It is a very accessible read for teens, especially teen girls, I think.

I also remember reading He Leadth Me by Fr. Walter Ciszek at that age and being very strengthened in my faith. It is a bit more mature since it is a story of an American priest who went into Russia as the Iron Curtain fell. He was arrested quickly, spent five years in solitary confinement, and 15 years in a Siberian work camp. It is not super graphic, but does talk about interrogations and the horrible conditions of the labor camp. It is mostly focused on the spiritual side of his story than the actual physical realities. He really tackles big spiritual issues like discerning God's will and the whole problem of evil in the world.

I read some biographies of Mother Teresa at that age as well that shaped me profoundly. I'll have to see if I can find which ones.

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Also, I started reading Chesterton at that age. His Father Brown mystery stories aren't really stirring, but the idea that a good man would understand evil better than anyone else was an important concept for me to grasp at that point. (I had decided to homeschool during my first two years of highschool and friends would say that I wouldn't really understand the world if I didn't get out and "experience" things. Through Chesterton (and C.S. Lewis) I realized that only someone who had fought against temptation and sin actually understood the nature of the world. You truly know a foe once you fight it. If you surrender immediately, you never truly understand its strengths and weaknesses.) Also, I probably read Orthodoxy by Chesterton for the first time at that age. Not everything made sense yet, but the underlying arguement and general drift of the book resounded deeply with me.

C.S. Lewis' space trilogy was a very good read for me at that age. Also, I learned some important practical stuff about practicing my faith from The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce by Lewis. It helped me see the smaller sins in my life in greater relief.

Oops, I just realized you asked for fiction books. Some of the ones I mentioned are biographies/non-fiction (The Story of a Soul, He Leadth Me, Orthodoxy), but very readable ones with strong story lines.

Other fiction:

If she hasn't read Lord of the Rings, it is probably the fiction book that evangelized my imagination the most.

Chesterton has some good fiction books besides the Father Brown mysteries: The Man Who Was Thursday and Manalive come to mind as my favorites.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has long been a very forming read for me. It is not Catholic in nature and actually has some possibly ojectional stuff for some parents, but it helped me wrestle with the nature of love and sin, with ideas about justice and mercy, exposed me to the reality of addiction, etc. I think it can be very good for certain teens, but I would make sure you are familiar with it yourself first.

Some of Michael O'Brien's works have stuck with me. He is a Catholic writer, but more aimed at adults. Again, it depends are your fifteen year old's maturity and your own comfort level with certain things if they would be a good fit.

But I wanted to mention that if any hardy and experienced folks are willing to give it a go, they might be doing a service to the Church in jumping in.

This is true! I don't have the temperment for that kind of work, but the board has actually moderated a bit in the past few years from what I see - I don't go there often - due to the work of some dedicated folks who love the TLM, but are not interested in schism.

I just mentioned it because I was pretty sure Chucki must have been unaware of the formus because no one would ever send new converts over that way!

Oops, I just realized you asked for fiction books. Some of the ones I mentioned are biographies/non-fiction (The Story of a Soul, He Leadth Me, Orthodoxy), but very readable ones with strong story lines.

Other fiction:

If she hasn't read Lord of the Rings, it is probably the fiction book that evangelized my imagination the most.

Chesterton has some good fiction books besides the Father Brown mysteries: The Man Who Was Thursday and Manalive come to mind as my favorites.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has long been a very forming read for me. It is not Catholic in nature and actually has some possibly ojectional stuff for some parents, but it helped me wrestle with the nature of love and sin, with ideas about justice and mercy, exposed me to the reality of addiction, etc. I think it can be very good for certain teens, but I would make sure you are familiar with it yourself first.

Some of Michael O'Brien's works have stuck with me. He is a Catholic writer, but more aimed at adults. Again, it depends are your fifteen year old's maturity and your own comfort level with certain things if they would be a good fit.

It doesn't have to be fiction. I was thinking lighter reading because she has a fairly heaving reading schedule for school. She's read all of Regina Doman's books and LOTR. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has always been a favorite of mine. Fr. Ciszek's book sounds very good. I will look for that one.

I've never read Michael O'Brien's books since I've never been drawn to apocalyptic novels. However, I just read Lord of the World by Fr. Benson and was quite taken with it. I'll check those out, too.

She's read a couple of essays by Chesterton and I think maybe some of Father Brown.

Thanks for your suggestions.

It doesn't have to be fiction. I was thinking lighter reading because she has a fairly heaving reading schedule for school. She's read all of Regina Doman's books and LOTR. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has always been a favorite of mine. Fr. Ciszek's book sounds very good. I will look for that one.

I've never read Michael O'Brien's books since I've never been drawn to apocalyptic novels. However, I just read Lord of the World by Fr. Benson and was quite taken with it. I'll check those out, too.

She's read a couple of essays by Chesterton and I think maybe some of Father Brown.

Sounds like she's read some great stuff! If she has picked out a confirmation saint, maybe finding a really good biography or some of that saint's writings (if they have any) could be a good route. Or if she hasn't picked a confirmation saint, reading some good saint works could be helpful to her.

Not all of Michael O'Brien's work is apocalyptic novels. (I don't really like those either!) I really enjoyed his Strangers and Sojourners, which is more of an epic tale of a couple of different generations of a family seeking truth.

I do think Fr. Ciszek's He Leadth Me could be a very good fit. It is very spiritually nurting while having a compelling story line that keeps it from getting to difficult. If she likes it, he wrote another book on his experienc in Russia called With God in Russia. Actually, he wrote that one first, and it is more a detailed description of what happened to him in Russia. He Leadth Me is more of the inside, spiritual realtiy of the same story.

Dean Koontz is devoutly Catholic and apparently is known for a very sacramental view of life which imbues his writing. CAVEAT I have not read any of his books yet, but I watched an hour long interview with him on EWTN that was really interesting. ( I tucked his name up in my head for when my kids want some straight fiction.)

Dean Koontz is devoutly Catholic and apparently is known for a very sacramental view of life which imbues his writing. CAVEAT I have not read any of his books yet, but I watched an hour long interview with him on EWTN that was really interesting. ( I tucked his name up in my head for when my kids want some straight fiction.)

er, I grew up reading sci-fi and his name is one I avoided. Another genre he writes is horror. Dont know if his later work reflects his beliefs. I also avoid Stephen King.

Thanks for the suggestions. That's interesting about Dean Koontz. I would never have thought of him being religious. Obviously I shouldn't judge an author by his book covers. I'll have to see what else he has written.

Couple other quick questions. My dd has chosen Pope St. Pius X as her confirmation saint. Someone told me that girls should choose women saints and boys should choose men. Their youth director didn't say anything about her choice. She has had quite a devotion to him since we read the Vision book about him. Just wondering if anyone has heard that?

And one prayer request. My oldest dd and her dh are expecting their first child (our first grandchild). She just called and said she 'thinks' her water broke. She is expecting a call from her midwife. They live at least an hour from the hospital, the roads are fairly icy, and her dh is at work. Fortunately her fil is only 10 min. away. Anyway, I would appreciate some prayers for safe travel and delivery.

Thanks.

I have no idea if any of these recommendations are any good or appropriate. But may be you can find something here. Catholic Teen Novels.

Here is their main website. Chesterton Press

Chesterton Press is run by Regina Doman, whom I mentioned up thread. She is also a homeschooling mom. How in the world she pulls it off, I don't know!

I actually just went to a book signing and talk for teens she did locally. It was a fabulous talk about evangelizing the imagination through the arts. Anyway, I just thought I would mention that as a publisher, she is looking very hard for Catholic writers who are writing children's literature, especially for the 3rd-4th grade level. A Catholic Beverly Clearly. If any of you ladies or anyone you know writes good children's lit, send them her way.

Couple other quick questions. My dd has chosen Pope St. Pius X as her confirmation saint. Someone told me that girls should choose women saints and boys should choose men. Their youth director didn't say anything about her choice. She has had quite a devotion to him since we read the Vision book about him. Just wondering if anyone has heard that?

I think it is fine for a female to pick a male saint for confirmation. I sponsored a member of my RCIA class last year and her confirmation patron saint was St. Peter.

Prayers for your daughter and husband! And congratulations to you on the upcoming birth of your first grandchild!

Thanks for the suggestions. That's interesting about Dean Koontz. I would never have thought of him being religious. Obviously I shouldn't judge an author by his book covers. I'll have to see what else he has written.

And one prayer request. My oldest dd and her dh are expecting their first child (our first grandchild). She just called and said she 'thinks' her water broke. She is expecting a call from her midwife. They live at least an hour from the hospital, the roads are fairly icy, and her dh is at work. Fortunately her fil is only 10 min. away. Anyway, I would appreciate some prayers for safe travel and delivery.

Thanks.

My mom has a male saint. It is perfectly acceptable.

Prayers. Let us know how it goes!

Michael D. O'Brien has a book on children's literature from a Catholic perspective called A Landscape with Dragons. It is an interesting read, it has a lot of great insight on the ways that literature and culture shape our imagination and conscience.The second edition has a booklist in the back with literature recommendations sorted by age, and it goes through high school. It's also available on Kindle.

I also really enjoyed his novel Strangers and Sojourners, which is part of this Children of the Last Days series, which are apocolyptic. His writings, along with Chesterton, have really been helping me get deeper into the faith.

Ok, so I've found some prayer books. Thanks.

Does anyone have a good rec. for explaining the sign of the Cross?

Thanks!

I just did a quick search on youtube, this

explains the meaning of the sign of the cross the way I've heard it explained in homilies and talks. It also includes some quotes from church fathers to give you some history behind it.

HTH!

ETA: I just found

as well, which I thought was an excellent explanation as well. Some find Realcatholictv to be very traditionalist, which some don't like, and I've heard some describe Michael Voris as condescending, but I have gleaned some great info from their videos. BTW, we are not "traditionalist," but I have found some traditionalist sources to be helpful in helping me rectify the horrible catechesis I recieved in the 80's and 90's.

I just did a quick search on youtube, this

explains the meaning of the sign of the cross the way I've heard it explained in homilies and talks. It also includes some quotes from church fathers to give you some history behind it.

HTH!

ETA: I just found

as well, which I thought was an excellent explanation as well. Some find Realcatholictv to be very traditionalist, which some don't like, and I've heard some describe Michael Voris as condescending, but I have gleaned some great info from their videos. BTW, we are not "traditionalist," but I have found some traditionalist sources to be helpful in helping me rectify the horrible catechesis I recieved in the 80's and 90's.

That first one is awesome. Makes me want to go out and buy a water font for the house.

Lurk more than I post but wanted to give my 2 cents about Dean Koontz. I recently read Odd Thomas and was quite impressed with it. Dean is an excellent writer. The character is catholic and believes God has given him the gift of seeing dead people and helps him resolve issues and cross over. I think the story is more for adults than the younger set but depends on the maturity of your young adult since it deals with murder and crime. I've read some of his other books and they've been very good. You just have to read through the synopsis and pick and choose. I don't like horror but do like psychological thrillers and have found that in some of his books as well as Stephen King.

Also check out Frank Peretti - All his books have a religious theme and he has a ya series as well as adult theme books.

Christian authors Bodie and Brock Thoene Ad Chronicles is an amazing series which follows three biblical characters in each book. Really personalizes the characters from the blind beggar to Judah the fisherman. I've read the majority up to ninth Witness and have been blown away. I've also read the complete zion series set around hitler and the jewish underground.

If she needs something more lighthearted - check out Julie Lessman, Dee Henderson, Tracy Peterson and Cathy Marie Hake.

This book is listed on the Catholic Teen books linked above, but I'll second it as a recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Attack-Young-Chesterton-Chronicles/dp/1933184264/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358374344&sr=1-2&keywords=tripods+attack!+john+mcnichol Tripods Attack! by John McNichol is the first in a trilogy of the Young Chesterton series. The second book is http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-North-America-John-McnIchol/dp/193645307X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358374601&sr=1-1&keywords=the+emperor+of+north+america The Emperor of North America. The third isn't out yet. My ds15 read these and really enjoyed them.

That first one is awesome. Makes me want to go out and buy a water font for the house.

We had holy water fonts at all of our exterior doors and at the door to the main stair case in our house growing up. With seven kids, we went through several fonts since they were breaking all the time! I really loved it, though, and we blessed ourselves dozens of times a day out of pure habit. I need to get a few in my house. I figure I need all the help I can get!

We had holy water fonts at all of our exterior doors and at the door to the main stair case in our house growing up. With seven kids, we went through several fonts since they were breaking all the time! I really loved it, though, and we blessed ourselves dozens of times a day out of pure habit. I need to get a few in my house. I figure I need all the help I can get!

Ohh I'm verkelmpt at thinking of my kids doing that and my family having that habit. That is a beautiful family snapshot.

Is this the Catholic Support Group or is there another one? I would love to find a pew to sit down and just hang with my Catholic sisters!!!!

Yup, this is it. Although at times we do bicker among ourselves. You'll have to overlook us during those few and far between times.

Really this group started to answer questions about Catholicism by those looking to convert/revert or just in general. We also offer support to those seeking conversion/reversion. And general support for all homeschooling catholic moms.

We are not anti-NO, overly traditional, or SSPXers. Some of us prefer the TLM, and that is okay. Some of us are as thoroughly modern as a catholic can be and still be faithful. That is okay too.

We help see each other through the hard parts so in that respect, yes, we are a support group.

Welcome.

Yup, this is it. Although at times we do bicker among ourselves. You'll have to overlook us during those few and far between times.

Really this group started to answer questions about Catholicism by those looking to convert/revert or just in general. We also offer support to those seeking conversion/reversion. And general support for all homeschooling catholic moms.

We are not anti-NO, overly traditional, or SSPXers. Some of us prefer the TLM, and that is okay. Some of us are as thoroughly modern as a catholic can be and still be faithful. That is okay too.

We help see each other through the hard parts so in that respect, yes, we are a support group.

Welcome.

Thank you for the greeting Chuckie. I have always felt that I never fit into any Catholic group because I either wasn't TLM wearing the veil kind of Orthodox Catholic (I wear jeans to church and sing in the contemporary guitar/drum choir) but I don't fit into the Social Justice crowd or the "cafeteria Catholic" side either. I have tried to find Catholic home schooling groups and either I'm out because I'm not "modest enough" (ie don't wear dresses all the time and don't make my daughter) or I'm too conservative about what my daughter sees and does and that I am "unthinking and a hive mentality" because I make my political/social decisions by being formed by the Catholic Conscience.

I am a faithful to Orthodoxy, love my Lord and submit my will to the magesterium of the Church. Why it's so hard to find people like this eludes me, but I keep trying.

I will do my best to read the thread to get a read on the feel here before I jump in. :)

Thank you for the greeting Chuckie. I have always felt that I never fit into any Catholic group because I either wasn't TLM wearing the veil kind of Orthodox Catholic (I wear jeans to church and sing in the contemporary guitar/drum choir) but I don't fit into the Social Justice crowd or the "cafeteria Catholic" side either. I have tried to find Catholic home schooling groups and either I'm out because I'm not "modest enough" (ie don't wear dresses all the time and don't make my daughter) or I'm too conservative about what my daughter sees and does and that I am "unthinking and a hive mentality" because I make my political/social decisions by being formed by the Catholic Conscience.

I am a faithful to Orthodoxy, love my Lord and submit my will to the magesterium of the Church. Why it's so hard to find people like this eludes me, but I keep trying.

I will do my best to read the thread to get a read on the feel here before I jump in. :)

It sounds like you found us.

Feel free to ignore any heated discussion. We seemed to have worked it out.

It sounds like you found us.

Feel free to ignore any heated discussion. We seemed to have worked it out.

LOL - thanks!! I try not to get involved with heated discussions, but my views ARE passionate about my Lord so I do work really hard to just step away from the keyboard. :)

Sounds like us! I don't fit in with my family, they are all very liberal and openly speak out against church teachings. In their eyes I'm a right wing nut job. When I was married my husband converted, and I've been on a journey to becoming more and more orthodox and faithful ever since. But, we are not "traditionalists", we've been to a TLM, it was beautiful, but we prefer the NO, so I don't fit in with a lot of the conservative Catholics either. The TLM parish here does have an active homeschooling group though, so I've been tempted to check it out more.

We don't consider ourselves to be liberal or conservative either, we're just trying to be Catholic :).

Sounds like us! I don't fit in with my family, they are all very liberal and openly speak out against church teachings. In their eyes I'm a right wing nut job. When I was married my husband converted, and I've been on a journey to becoming more and more orthodox and faithful ever since. But, we are not "traditionalists", we've been to a TLM, it was beautiful, but we prefer the NO, so I don't fit in with a lot of the conservative Catholics either. The TLM parish here does have an active homeschooling group though, so I've been tempted to check it out more.

We don't consider ourselves to be liberal or conservative either, we're just trying to be Catholic :).

You sound like my kind of people!!! Wanna share my pew at Mass? :)

You sound a lot like me, except I do like to wear dresses or skirts to Mass, sometimes dressy slacks. I have to wear something that goes with my vast yet cheap collection of earrings.

I have had my own run ins with dresses only, Latin Mass types. They tried to get me to toe the line and even to shun makeup but it didn't work. I'm still a painted woman. I have nothing at all against TLM or dresses, but I don't want to get caught up in externals and neglect the important stuff like, oh I don't know, loving God and drawing closer to Him.

You sound a lot like me, except I do like to wear dresses or skirts to Mass, sometimes dressy slacks. I have to wear something that goes with my vast yet cheap collection of earrings.

I have had my own run ins with dresses only, Latin Mass types. They tried to get me to toe the line and even to shun makeup but it didn't work. I'm still a painted woman. I have nothing at all against TLM or dresses, but I don't want to get caught up in externals and neglect the important stuff like, oh I don't know, loving God and drawing closer to Him.

I won't tell you about the doozy I had with a person who told me that because I wore jeans to mass that I have no respect or love for God.

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here, reading, nodding, and clicking the "like" button. ;) I got pulled into a legalistic view of religion (and by extension life) many moons before I convert to RC; I have absolutely no intention of going there again.

There is a way to follow the "rules" with the heart also being the lead. That is what the grace of God does for us. This is a big lesson I have learned in my years as a Catholic.

Anyone gearing up for a First communion? I have a First Reconciliation this weekend, she is SO excited. There's a service planned for all the kids, and a few Priests coming, so this ought to be sweet. We've been using Faith and LIfe at home (And goes to CCD) and she is just so funny, "My teacher said I'm only allowed to tell father TWO sins, but what if I think of more? What if I can't remember? Do you want me to sit face to face?"

Then, I have two joining Squires this weekend and being inducted. Button down and tie.

I have a lot of ironing to do. :willy_nilly:

(and a birthday, and altar serving...)

We do dress up for church, but I don't really care about what other people wear. I don't really understand the dresses only position, I wear a lot of dress slacks.

I find the diversity among Catholics really interesting, and I think it is one of my favorite things about being Catholic. I went to a workshop for catechumens in one of my previous parishes where the presenter talked about a concept where just as individuals have different "learning styles," people also have different "spiritual styles." It was really interesting, I wish I had saved the info. The four spritual types included those who have an intellectual approach to the faith, an example would be St. Thomas Aquinas. People like this prefer reading studying theological works, listening to lectures, etc. as a way to develop their faith. Another was a more "mystical" faith, such as St. Therese of Lisieux. These are the people who really just love to be in the presence of God, they really focus on the "inner life." Some have a more systematic approach (I can't remember exactly what term they used to describe this, but legalistic might apply) approach to the faith, an example of this would be St. Ignatius of Loyola. The last one I remember is someone who grows in faith and feels closer to God by experiencing His creation, those who can enjoy things like hiking and working with animals as a spiritual exercise. I can't remember what word described this, but St. Francis of Assissi would be an example of this. Obviously, most people probably have a mixture of these traits, but I really enjoyed the idea that there are so many different paths that all lead us to the same destination.

Oh, and to name my position officially I'm eclectic when it comes to what I wear to church. Some days it is jeans, others a skirt. Sometimes I'll see if the one pair of dress pants that fit are free of wrinkles. Then I'll wear them.

I think we had this discussion about page 14. Nono and I wear the same clothes. :smilielol5:

Anyone gearing up for a First communion? I have a First Reconciliation this weekend, she is SO excited. There's a service planned for all the kids, and a few Priests coming, so this ought to be sweet. We've been using Faith and LIfe at home (And goes to CCD) and she is just so funny, "My teacher said I'm only allowed to tell father TWO sins, but what if I think of more? What if I can't remember? Do you want me to sit face to face?"

Then, I have two joining Squires this weekend and being inducted. Button down and tie.

I have a lot of ironing to do. :willy_nilly:

(and a birthday, and altar serving...)

Your daughter sounds so cute! We had first reconciliation last month, my son really didn't seem to care much leading up to it, but when it was his turn to go in he got a little bit nervous. Afterwards, he was really proud, he was practically glowing and he smiled the rest of the night. Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again :001_smile:

We also use Faith and Life and are going to CCD as well. Sometimes it seems like overkill, but I wanted my son to get to know the other kids his age in our Parish.

Is Squires a youth group associated with KoC?

Your daughter sounds so cute! We had first reconciliation last month, my son really didn't seem to care much leading up to it, but when it was his turn to go in he got a little bit nervous. Afterwards, he was really proud, he was practically glowing and he smiled the rest of the night. Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again :001_smile:

We also use Faith and Life and are going to CCD as well. Sometimes it seems like overkill, but I wanted my son to get to know the other kids his age in our Parish.

Is Squires a youth group associated with KoC?

Aww, he sounds adorable! How's he hanging in while he waits for his first communion? THAT"s the part I'm worried about, that she's going to drive me up the wall with anticipation.

I'm having her go to CCD for the exact same reasons, and she likes it.

Yes, Squires is sponsored by KoC, like a boy scouty thing. All about service. The girls have Mary's Angels sponsored by the Legion of Mary, also about deepening of faith and service.