Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

Anyone gearing up for a First communion? I have a First Reconciliation this weekend, she is SO excited. There's a service planned for all the kids, and a few Priests coming, so this ought to be sweet. We've been using Faith and LIfe at home (And goes to CCD) and she is just so funny, "My teacher said I'm only allowed to tell father TWO sins, but what if I think of more? What if I can't remember? Do you want me to sit face to face?"

Then, I have two joining Squires this weekend and being inducted. Button down and tie.

I have a lot of ironing to do. :willy_nilly:

My youngest will be recieving First Communion in May. We are preparing for Reconcilliation in early February. I only have two more CCD classes with my children to help them prepare. After Reconcilliation we'll head out to shop for dress. I like to hold off on First Communion details so as not to overshadow the importance of the first sacrament. I really wish we received those two sacraments in different years. In my area both sacraments are received in second grade. I feel my DD is ready, but I wish there was more time to prepare for some of the other children who do not receive very much religious ed outside of CCD.

Does anyone else feel this way?

(and a birthday, and altar serving...)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure who might see this or not, so I thought I'd post it over here. It's a 54 day Rosasry novena, specifically in honor of our dh's but also for our families or other intentions. It is set to end on the Feast of St. Joseph. I hate publicly committing to something that is longer than a one time event ( :lol ), but I really want to do this. So, anyone else game?

I wasn't sure who might see this or not, so I thought I'd post it over here. It's a 54 day Rosasry novena, specifically in honor of our dh's but also for our families or other intentions. It is set to end on the Feast of St. Joseph. I hate publicly committing to something that is longer than a one time event ( :lol ), but I really want to do this. So, anyone else game?

Okay, I'm in. Do we start today?

Yup, I see. It starts on the 24th.

Okay, I'm in. Do we start today?

Yup, I see. It starts on the 24th.

Yea, the 24th is the first day. But, I decided to do a Rosary (using my fingers as I was in the shower) tonight with the intention of being granted the graces needed to complete the 54 days. :lol: I can use all the help I can get!

On a somewhat related note (prayer), if you could spare some prayers for me. I have a sebaceous cyst on my upper back that is typically dormant, but one of the kids knocked into it on accident the other day and it's inflamed (not too big thankfully) and very painful. Thank you.

Here is a very complete look at the doctrine of infallibility: http://www.newadvent...then/03712a.htm

It is a bit of a slog, but covers quite a bit of ground.

As for some of your specific questions/ideas:

- The doctrine of infallibility at its most basic level is simply the assertion that the Church's defined teachings on faith and morals cannot be in err.

- Yes, the Pope is often referred to as the "first among equals" in Catholic theology. He is the bishop of Rome, so a member of the body of bishops, but he is also their Shepherd. Basically, Catholic teaching on this point all comes from the idea of apostolic succession: the bishops are the successors of the original Apostles and the Pope the successor of Peter. Everything flows from that reality.

- The bishops, acting as a body, also have infallible teaching authority. Of course, because the Pope is a member of this body and its Shepherd, their teaching cannot in anyway contradict that of the Pope's.

- I believe a pope must call a council or at least give his de facto approval to the gathering of a council. Also, the pope must close and give his approval to a council to give it true teaching authority. From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"The right to summon an ecumenical council belongs properly to the pope alone, though by his express or presumed consent given ante or post factum, the summons may be issued, as in the case of most of the early councils, in the name of the civil authority. For ecumenicity in the adequate sense all the bishops of the world in communion with the Holy See should be summoned, but it is not required that all or even a majority should be present.

As regards the conduct of the deliberations, the right of presidency, of course, belongs to the pope or his representative; while as regards the decisions arrived at unanimity is not required.

Finally, papal approbation is required to give ecumenical value and authority to conciliar decrees, and this must be subsequent to conciliar action, unless the pope, by his personal presence and conscience, has already given his official ratification."

- Decision-making at the councils is done by the bishops in conference together, but again, papal abbrobation is required to give the council's teachings their authority. Basically, the bishops - often working with theologians - work in committees to help write the documents. The Pope must give his approval in the end.

- Documents and papers coming out of the Vatican's Curia, the contemporary articles I think you were referencing, would be not be considered rising to the level of "infallible teaching" in and of themselves. Of course, they should given due respect and deference by the faithful. The Curia is a collection of congregations and council on different subjects, headed by cardinals and bishops, to help the faithful address the living out of their faith in their time. If one compared the Pope to a president or prime minster, the Curia is like his cabinet. (The Church really isn't like these governmental structures, but I wanted to give some kind of practical comparison.)

- Also, there are what we call papal encyclicals, which are basically letters written by the pope to some or all of the bishops. These encyclicals have become more important, more wide-reaching tools of teaching on modern times, sometimes addressing some difficult issues. They may or may not be viewed as being taught with infallible authority depending on the circumstances of the letter (if it deals with faith or morals, if the Pope explicitly calls upon the teaching authority of his office, etc.)

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I didn't actually know that there were other times the pope or bishops spoke infallibly. However, I don't understand the difference between the different things. Has there been a council in modern days which issued new teaching? What was Vatican II considered? (My understanding is that Protestants had been anathematized in the Council of Trent and then were called "estranged brethren" in Vatican ii for instance.) Are other things like the church's teachings on evolution considered infallible? Can the pope issue teachings not supported by the other bishops? Can he act as a lone gun?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I didn't actually know that there were other times the pope or bishops spoke infallibly. However, I don't understand the difference between the different things. Has there been a council in modern days which issued new teaching? What was Vatican II considered? (My understanding is that Protestants had been anathematized in the Council of Trent and then were called "estranged brethren" in Vatican ii for instance.) Are other things like the church's teachings on evolution considered infallible? Can the pope issue teachings not supported by the other bishops? Can he act as a lone gun?

Well, the doctrine of infallibility itself wasn't clearly defined by the Church until recently by Vatican Council I. Like most Catholic doctrines, the Church does not generally define them until there is a controversy around it. So don't feel too bad if it is confusing!

A few further clarifications that may be helpful:

- Infallibility only maintains that a definied Church teaching is free from error. It does not claim that it is the doctrine cannot be more fully developed. Only that what being currently stated is not erroneous.

- Catholic teachings tend to be divided into two categories: 1) Ordinary and 2) Extraordinary. The charism of infallibility can be used for both ordinary and extraordinary teaching, but it is fully engaged only in definitive Magisterial teachings on faith and morals.

The Magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church. It is exercised by the Pope alone when he teaches officially, or by the whole "college" of bishops together with the Pope.

Most Magisterial teachings are ordinary. The Pope's ordinary teachings are issued in the course his normal activity: his encyclicals and other documents, various addresses, etc.

The college of bishops also has an "ordinary and universal" Magisterium. This is seen whenever the individual bishops teach the same faith — that is, in union with the Pope and each other, even if they're dispersed in their separate dioceses. It's also seen when an ecumenical council teaches definitively but without issuing a solemn definition.

Occasionally, the Magisterium issues extraordinary definitions of doctrine. This occurs when the Pope teaches ex cathedra, officially and solemnly defining some truth of the faith. The official and solemn definitions of ecumenical councils (such as the Council of Trent, the First Vatican Council, etc.) are also extraordinary pronouncements. These type of teachings are much rarer.

Remember, it is the definitive teachings of the Magisterium that are considered to be infallible. This usually means that they explicitly state they're defining some matter of the faith, or put forth a position as to be definitively held.

But some things that are taught repeatedly by the Magisterium can also be considered definitive, even if they're not explicitly named to be such. This is because the basic pattern of the Church is to have a widely held and taught beliefs that are generally only explicity defined once there is confusion surrounding the issue. Therefore, very foundational Catholic beliefs concerning faith and morals (like the Trinity) can go hundreds of years without being declared by the Pope or a council because there is no need. That doesn't mean a Catholic is free to ignore these teachings.

So basically, the use of the charism of infallibility in extraordinary teachings is relatively rare, but it can also attach to the ordinary teaching of the Church, which is much less rare.

- The pope can issue teachings ex cathedra using the charism of infallibity on his own. If bishops disagree with the teaching of the Pope, they must work towards giving an assent of faith, just like all the faithful. So yes, the pope can act as a "lone gun," though we wouldn't see the invididual person of the pope as a lone gun man since the charism of infallibility is a gift of the Holy Spirit given to the successor of Peter. So while the pope can act alone in declaring a doctrine, the man, the individual, is not acting alone, but under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Also, the body of bishops cannot speak definitively without the pope, though they can in union with the pope through a council.

- Vatican II was a council of the Church and as such, Catholics have a duty to accept its teachings.

- The Council of Trent and Vatican II, while having very different language regarding ecumenism (or interaction between differing Christian faiths.) Vatican II, like the Council of Trent, still teaches that only She has the fullness of Truth and that other Christian faiths teach heresy or are in schism with the Church, but Vatican II prefers the language of estranged brothers in Christ to heretics. The underlying teaching is the same, but the Church continues to work at approaching others with greater and greater love.

(And as an aside, despite all of Trent's "anathemas!", the Council of Trent both invited and offered safe passage to Protestants who wished to come and participate at this ecumenical council.Trent also invited Protestants of all social and ecclesiastical rank to share their theological views, propose topics for debate, and generally participate in the daily affairs of this ecumenical council. Further, Trent allowed Protestants to withdraw at any time. Finally, Trent invited Protestants to be more than simply observers. Clearly, at Trent the Church issued an invitation to ecumenical dialogue between Catholics and Protestants. And since Lutheranism enveloped most of the German nation around the time of the council, this invitation was much broader than the invitation extended to a handful of Protestant theologians at Vatican II. Trent even permitted the Protestants attending the Council a greater level of participation than was allowed to the Protestant theologians observing Vatican II.)

- The Church does not have any official teaching on evolution. Plus infallibility wouldn't really apply to that since it isn't related to faith or morals. The Church does teach that we must believe that God directly and immediately created a soul into man and also the reality of an original man, "Adam," from whom all the rest of humanity has descended. The rest is up for study and discussion.

HTH!

Anyone gearing up for a First communion? I have a First Reconciliation this weekend, she is SO excited. There's a service planned for all the kids, and a few Priests coming, so this ought to be sweet. We've been using Faith and LIfe at home (And goes to CCD) and she is just so funny, "My teacher said I'm only allowed to tell father TWO sins, but what if I think of more? What if I can't remember? Do you want me to sit face to face?"

Then, I have two joining Squires this weekend and being inducted. Button down and tie.

I have a lot of ironing to do. :willy_nilly:

(and a birthday, and altar serving...)

I am! My DD is will receive Reconciliation on Feb 9th. Then we'll be preparing for First Holy Communion! We are very excited, it seems like she has been waiting so long.

Although my DD is ready, I do wish I had more time to prepare the other children in my CCD class. These second graders seem so young. I'm sure it doesn't help that only 3 of the nine children go to Mass regularly. We only have two more classes. I think that maybe it would be better if the two sacraments were in separate years- with more time to focus on each. Does anyone's parish do this?

BTW- I'm very sorry that my posts from yesterday contained no response, just a quote. I was traveling and my ipad kept getting hung up.

I am! My DD is will receive Reconciliation on Feb 9th. Then we'll be preparing for First Holy Communion! We are very excited, it seems like she has been waiting so long.

Although my DD is ready, I do wish I had more time to prepare the other children in my CCD class. These second graders seem so young. I'm sure it doesn't help that only 3 of the nine children go to Mass regularly. We only have two more classes. I think that maybe it would be better if the two sacraments were in separate years- with more time to focus on each. Does anyone's parish do this?

BTW- I'm very sorry that my posts from yesterday contained no response, just a quote. I was traveling and my ipad kept getting hung up.

I was so thrilled with how First Reconciliation went. So solemn and yet joyous. I'm using Faith and LIfe in my own preparation with her.

And I teach 4th and 8th, and still see the same--So, what can you do, you press on and pray for them. I honestly wish they'd put confirmation right after baptism --I think that would go further toward deepening their faith and understanding. And, it's not the kids, really, they can't help it, it's the *parents*.

Maria, you rock! Thank you for explaining all that. It is a topic I have yet to even begin studying.

I know, I felt the same way reading that.:D I studied it, but only enough to get me over my initial disagreements with what I thought it was.

I'm game. What an excellent idea and it comes at an opportune time and I love the Free Rosary MP3 Downloads.

I was so thrilled with how First Reconciliation went. So solemn and yet joyous. I'm using Faith and LIfe in my own preparation with her.

And I teach 4th and 8th, and still see the same--So, what can you do, you press on and pray for them. I honestly wish they'd put confirmation right after baptism --I think that would go further toward deepening their faith and understanding. And, it's not the kids, really, they can't help it, it's the *parents*.

My DD has First Penance on Feb. 2nd. She is pretty terrified though I've said every reassuring thing I can think of. We use a combo of Faith and Life and the Baltimore Catechism. She is a perfectionist by nature so I think that is why she is feeling stressed. She's upset she has anything to confess and she is afraid she is going to do it wrong. Sigh.

I also help at CCD, 5th grade, and see mostly interested kids who have disinterested parents. There is only so much that can be taught in an hour and a half per week if there is no follow up at home and sporadic Mass attendance.

DS is just DYING for next year when he can finally make his First Communion. He will actually get teary eyed sometimes at not being able to receive Jesus on Sundays. We are also using Faith & Life and will probably add in the Baltimore Catechism next year.

DS is just DYING for next year when he can finally make his First Communion. He will actually get teary eyed sometimes at not being able to receive Jesus on Sundays. We are also using Faith & Life and will probably add in the Baltimore Catechism next year.

That is so sweet!

All three of my boys will make their First Reconciliation and First Communion next year - the older two through RCIA for children (our archdiocese requires two years of instruction for children over 7 at the parish) and ds6 because he will be in second grade. They are all looking forward to it, though ds11 is a bit bugged that he won't be able to partake of the Bread. (I think they are all a bit excited to know they will get some wine at Mass!)

Hi, I'm back! I didn't get much of a chance to talk to my dad on Saturday. My brother usually holes up in his room but he was with us the entire time. Dad took us to lunch and when we got back to his house we only had half an hour. We needed to leave to get to dd's game. My brother mentioned that he was going to take a nap, and proceeded to lean back in the La-Z-Boy chair in the living room where we were.

I did mention my concern about Dad's recent illness, but he brushed it off. He knew what he had needed! It was no big deal. He has a pacemaker and it never misses a beat. Apparently he will live forever.

I couldn't very well say to my brother, "Could you leave the room, please?" And I needed to talk to Dad without him around. So I'll have to wait and have the talk another time, possibly some of it on the phone. Families are tough.

I use the Baltimore, too. I think the two work really well together.

Well, the doctrine of infallibility itself wasn't clearly defined by the Church until recently by Vatican Council I. Like most Catholic doctrines, the Church does not generally define them until there is a controversy around it. So don't feel too bad if it is confusing!

A few further clarifications that may be helpful:

- Infallibility only maintains that a definied Church teaching is free from error. It does not claim that it is the doctrine cannot be more fully developed. Only that what being currently stated is not erroneous.

- Catholic teachings tend to be divided into two categories: 1) Ordinary and 2) Extraordinary. The charism of infallibility can be used for both ordinary and extraordinary teaching, but it is fully engaged only in definitive Magisterial teachings on faith and morals.

The Magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church. It is exercised by the Pope alone when he teaches officially, or by the whole "college" of bishops together with the Pope.

Most Magisterial teachings are ordinary. The Pope's ordinary teachings are issued in the course his normal activity: his encyclicals and other documents, various addresses, etc.

The college of bishops also has an "ordinary and universal" Magisterium. This is seen whenever the individual bishops teach the same faith — that is, in union with the Pope and each other, even if they're dispersed in their separate dioceses. It's also seen when an ecumenical council teaches definitively but without issuing a solemn definition.

Occasionally, the Magisterium issues extraordinary definitions of doctrine. This occurs when the Pope teaches ex cathedra, officially and solemnly defining some truth of the faith. The official and solemn definitions of ecumenical councils (such as the Council of Trent, the First Vatican Council, etc.) are also extraordinary pronouncements. These type of teachings are much rarer.

Remember, it is the definitive teachings of the Magisterium that are considered to be infallible. This usually means that they explicitly state they're defining some matter of the faith, or put forth a position as to be definitively held.

But some things that are taught repeatedly by the Magisterium can also be considered definitive, even if they're not explicitly named to be such. This is because the basic pattern of the Church is to have a widely held and taught beliefs that are generally only explicity defined once there is confusion surrounding the issue. Therefore, very foundational Catholic beliefs concerning faith and morals (like the Trinity) can go hundreds of years without being declared by the Pope or a council because there is no need. That doesn't mean a Catholic is free to ignore these teachings.

So basically, the use of the charism of infallibility in extraordinary teachings is relatively rare, but it can also attach to the ordinary teaching of the Church, which is much less rare.

- The pope can issue teachings ex cathedra using the charism of infallibity on his own. If bishops disagree with the teaching of the Pope, they must work towards giving an assent of faith, just like all the faithful. So yes, the pope can act as a "lone gun," though we wouldn't see the invididual person of the pope as a lone gun man since the charism of infallibility is a gift of the Holy Spirit given to the successor of Peter. So while the pope can act alone in declaring a doctrine, the man, the individual, is not acting alone, but under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Also, the body of bishops cannot speak definitively without the pope, though they can in union with the pope through a council.

- Vatican II was a council of the Church and as such, Catholics have a duty to accept its teachings.

- The Council of Trent and Vatican II, while having very different language regarding ecumenism (or interaction between differing Christian faiths.) Vatican II, like the Council of Trent, still teaches that only She has the fullness of Truth and that other Christian faiths teach heresy or are in schism with the Church, but Vatican II prefers the language of estranged brothers in Christ to heretics. The underlying teaching is the same, but the Church continues to work at approaching others with greater and greater love.

(And as an aside, despite all of Trent's "anathemas!", the Council of Trent both invited and offered safe passage to Protestants who wished to come and participate at this ecumenical council.Trent also invited Protestants of all social and ecclesiastical rank to share their theological views, propose topics for debate, and generally participate in the daily affairs of this ecumenical council. Further, Trent allowed Protestants to withdraw at any time. Finally, Trent invited Protestants to be more than simply observers. Clearly, at Trent the Church issued an invitation to ecumenical dialogue between Catholics and Protestants. And since Lutheranism enveloped most of the German nation around the time of the council, this invitation was much broader than the invitation extended to a handful of Protestant theologians at Vatican II. Trent even permitted the Protestants attending the Council a greater level of participation than was allowed to the Protestant theologians observing Vatican II.)

- The Church does not have any official teaching on evolution. Plus infallibility wouldn't really apply to that since it isn't related to faith or morals. The Church does teach that we must believe that God directly and immediately created a soul into man and also the reality of an original man, "Adam," from whom all the rest of humanity has descended. The rest is up for study and discussion.

HTH!

Thank you again, for all the time you've taken to answer my questions. Some things are now clear, but there is a lot of new vocabulary to try to understand! Can you give some examples of "ordinary" vs. "extraordinary?" (I can often understand something through examples that I would struggle to understand in the abstract.) I'm having some trouble "getting" it. When is teaching definitive? What other kinds of teaching are there?

Ok, I'm hoping you all can help me see how RE looks in your day-to-day schooling. Here's what we do right now, but I want to utilize the F&L I have for each boy and would love to somehow incorporate the Baltimore Catechism somehow too. (By the way, they also attend RE at our parish but use a program called "Blest Are We". I'm not overly impressed with it ... too much going on in each chapter; I like the simplicity of F&L.)

Bible: I read to them from a children's Bible and I also read from the RSV or NAB RE. From the children's Bible, I try to read two OT stories and two NT stories each week. From the "real" Bible, we are reading a Psalm each day and I'll often read other things too (for instance today we read the story of the Tower of Babel in the children's Bible and then I contrasted that with the story of Pentecost from the Book of Acts - kind of making the between Eve & Mary, Adam & Christ, Babel & Pentecost). I am very thankful for the extensive Bible knowledge my time in the non-denominational church gave me and I want for the boys (and dd eventually) to really know the Bible and have verses memorized; i love pulling those out from memory when needed.

Marigold Hunt's books: We are now reading her Book of Angels. We have already read A Life of Our Lord and The First Christians. After Angels we will read St. Patrick's Summer. I really like her books as do the boys.

Ignatius Press saints books reprints. We also really like these. We are currently reading Father Marquette as we are beginning Minn of the Mississippi for geography. (Not that I usually tie these things together; I just happened to have the Marquette book and thought it a good combo.) They loved the one we read on St. Pius X. Next we'll read Mother Seton.

Saints stories - I try to read about the big saints on their feast days (or the week of their feast day) from one of our collection of saints stories.

All those things are great because we can do them together. F&L and the Baltimore Catechism is more one-on-one and trying to find time to fit those in is tough. Ds11 and ds9 both still balk at independent work and though ds11 will typically get it done, it's not usually done well. So, I feel that I need to make one-on-one time with each boy to go through both. Where do you find the time? And, do you have them do any copywork or narration? Do you have them copy the questions and answers? Or do you just discuss it and move on? Help please. :)

Thank you again, for all the time you've taken to answer my questions. Some things are now clear, but there is a lot of new vocabulary to try to understand! Can you give some examples of "ordinary" vs. "extraordinary?" (I can often understand something through examples that I would struggle to understand in the abstract.) I'm having some trouble "getting" it. When is teaching definitive? What other kinds of teaching are there?

Ordinary form of the mass means it is the accepted, the norm.

Extraordinary form of the mass means not the norm. Not better, exceptional or noteworthy, just not the norm.

We also use "ordinary" in another, sometimes confusing to outsiders, way. Ordinary time (Sundays after Jan 6 until Lent and Sundays after Pentacost until Advent) are not ordinary as in the boring same old - same old sense. They are ordinary because they are numbered.

Ok, I'm hoping you all can help me see how RE looks in your day-to-day schooling. Here's what we do right now, but I want to utilize the F&L I have for each boy and would love to somehow incorporate the Baltimore Catechism somehow too. (By the way, they also attend RE at our parish but use a program called "Blest Are We". I'm not overly impressed with it ... too much going on in each chapter; I like the simplicity of F&L.)

Bible: I read to them from a children's Bible and I also read from the RSV or NAB RE. From the children's Bible, I try to read two OT stories and two NT stories each week. From the "real" Bible, we are reading a Psalm each day and I'll often read other things too (for instance today we read the story of the Tower of Babel in the children's Bible and then I contrasted that with the story of Pentecost from the Book of Acts - kind of making the between Eve & Mary, Adam & Christ, Babel & Pentecost). I am very thankful for the extensive Bible knowledge my time in the non-denominational church gave me and I want for the boys (and dd eventually) to really know the Bible and have verses memorized; i love pulling those out from memory when needed.

Marigold Hunt's books: We are now reading her Book of Angels. We have already read A Life of Our Lord and The First Christians. After Angels we will read St. Patrick's Summer. I really like her books as do the boys.

Ignatius Press saints books reprints. We also really like these. We are currently reading Father Marquette as we are beginning Minn of the Mississippi for geography. (Not that I usually tie these things together; I just happened to have the Marquette book and thought it a good combo.) They loved the one we read on St. Pius X. Next we'll read Mother Seton.

Saints stories - I try to read about the big saints on their feast days (or the week of their feast day) from one of our collection of saints stories.

All those things are great because we can do them together. F&L and the Baltimore Catechism is more one-on-one and trying to find time to fit those in is tough. Ds11 and ds9 both still balk at independent work and though ds11 will typically get it done, it's not usually done well. So, I feel that I need to make one-on-one time with each boy to go through both. Where do you find the time? And, do you have them do any copywork or narration? Do you have them copy the questions and answers? Or do you just discuss it and move on? Help please. :)

Well, I'm no expert, and I'm only teaching 1 (2 if DD wants to sit and listen,) but I'll tell you what we do.

We're using F&L 1. I have the teachers text, the student book and the activity book. I think the AB is pretty much busy work, but DS enjoys doing it, so I let him. I mean, if he's going to be doing busy work, I'd rather he do that than something else.

I do one lesson a day. We read any relevant bible verses and complete the activity. I don't usually do the additional craft activities. The 3 of us are also in a Community Bible Study group. We will not be returning next year, but I decided to stay this year since both kids love going and it's pretty open to all Christian faiths. No talk about letting Jesus into your heart or being saved. In fact, my group leader is a Catholic. Anyhow, this year we're studying the book of Revelations. We do one lesson from that each day as well.

Aside form that, we read Bible stories and saint stories at bedtime. DS is especially interested in Saint Francis, while DD likes reading about the different apparitions of Our Lady.

Oh, they're also in RE at our parish, but only because DS has to be in order to be able to make his First Communion next year. I can't remember what they use but I have not been overly impressed.

Has anyone used any of these books?

American Cardinal Readers

Land of Our Lady (American History from a Catholic Perspective)

Our Holy Faith (Catholic Religion Textbooks-Baltimore Catechism)

Heroes of God's Church

http://www.neumannpress.com/index.html

We have Heroes of God's Church, and we liked it! I *just* got Bearers of Freedom (Land of Our Lady series) and we are in the first few pages. So far, so good. It is *just* what I want out of a history text for these years, narrative, chronological and pegs. Of course, Catholic. I have them narrate the questions to me.

Hmm, apart from my older guy who does F&L 8 on his own with me prereading and such, I use F&L and the baltimore with all of them at the same time.

No copywork, I use that for other stuff and I don't want to use all of my copywork chips with catechism. Discuss and move on.

I think the biggest change for us this year has been that catechism isn't compartmentalized --especially since we use a Catholic history, and i use things like The Harp and Laurel Wreath for copy work...

It all gets talked about, you know?

I'm sorry about all the crazy vocab! I always want to be careful to state exactly what the Church teaches, as best as I understand, and find it safer to use the language of the Church. I'll try to better define some things.

Ordinary vs. Extraordinary

Basically, the Church teaches that God's revelation to mankind comes through two sources: Scripture and Tradition (what has been aphanded down to us from the Apostles). In order to interpret and protect these sources of revelation, Christ also gave His Church the gift of the Magisterium. The Magisterium is the ability to interpret and teach the truths of revelation. It is a gift to all of the Church because it helps us all to be confident in the truth given to us by God, but it can only be excised by the Pope and bishops.

The Pope and bishops can exercise this teaching authority using the Extraordinary Magisterium, which is infallible, or the Ordinary Magisterium, which is non-infallible.

The extraordinary magisterium can be exercised:

1). By the Pope when he teaches explicitly calling upon his teaching authority to define a doctrine (called teaching ex cathedra). This has only happened twice with the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.

2) By the Pope and college of bishops at an ecumenical council. Now not everything written at an ecumenical council are taught under the extraordinary magisterium. They need to be clearly defined, explicit doctrines on faith and morals. Often they are set in the Canons of a council.

3) By the ordinary, universal magisterium (different than just than ordinary magisterium - I know so complicated! Couldn't someone have picked a different term!), which is when the Pope and the Bishops throughout the world have taught the same doctrine of faith and morals, definitively to be held by the faithful, over the course of some length of time. It is then, when that ordinary teaching has been taught universally by the Pope and the Bishops, that it no longer falls under the non-infallible ordinary magisterium, but now falls under the infallible extraordinary magisterium, At that point, it is called a teaching of the ordinary universal magisterium.

All of the above are uses of the extraordinary magisterium so the teaching is considered infallible.

Now the ordinary magisterium is just the general authority that allows the Pope and bishops to teach the faithful. It is non-infallible, though it is still guided by the Holy Spirit as it assures the faithful that they will remain on a sure path to salvation. However, sometimes you can have a document that is overall non-infallible, but specific sections could be infallible. For example, a papal encyclical (a letter written by the Pope to his bishops) that the Pope writes under the ordinary magisterium (so generally non-infallible) may have sections in it which the Pope will state that what he is teaching has being considered defined doctrine under the ordinary, universal magisterium (which is infallible).

I am sure this is all clear as mud.

One other thing: Catholics must give "assent of mind and will" to the ordinary magisterium (non-infallible), but they only have to give an "assent of faith" to that taugh infallibly.

Here are some websites that lay out things pretty well, I think. There is a lot of Catholic terminology, but they do a good job defining it.

Here is one: www.catholicplanet.com/TSM/ordinary-magisterium.htm

Here is another: http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/documents/What%20Does%20It%20Mean%20When%20the%20Church%20Gives%20an%20Infallible%20Teaching.htm

I thought this was a good illustration from that site:

Extraordinary" and "ordinary" refer to the manner in which a truth is stated by the Church whether that truth is infallible or whether it is not. Using the parent-child relationship as a model--when you correct or remind your children about good manners, say for example, that they should remember to say "thank you" when a waiter in a restaurant brings them their meal, that is an "ordinary" exercise of your authority as a parent. But, if you were to write up a set of rules for proper behavior when going out to eat and you were to announce these rules officially at a special family meeting that would be an "extraordinary" exercise of your parental authority.

I hope this helps a little...

This is from this site:

"Extraordinary" and "ordinary" refer to the manner in which a truth is stated by the Church whether that truth is infallible or whether it is not. Using the parent-child relationship as a model--when you correct or remind your children about good manners, say for example, that they should remember to say "thank you" when a waiter in a restaurant brings them their meal, that is an "ordinary" exercise of your authority as a parent. But, if you were to write up a set of rules for proper behavior when going out to eat and you were to announce these rules officially at a special family meeting that would be an "extraordinary" exercise of your parental authority. It is in this way that the Magisterium, which consists of both a papal and an episcopal dimension, can exercise authority over the Church. When the Pope speaks in authority in his role as Vicar of Christ, what is known as "ex cathedra", or "from the chair," a papal statement or an ecumenical council at which many bishops'the successors of the Apostles'are gathered issue an official statement, this would be an example of the Magisterium (mother Church) teaching in an "extraordinary" manner."

As far as "definitve teaching" and the magisterium, I hope this makes sense:

"By the Magisterium we mean the teaching office of the Church. It consists of the Pope and Bishops. Christ promised to protect the teaching of the Church : "He who hears you, hears me; he who rejects your rejects me, he who rejects me, rejects Him who sent me" (Luke 10. 16). Now of course the promise of Christ cannot fail: hence when the Church presents some doctrine as definitive or final, it comes under this protection, it cannot be in error; in other words, it is infallible. This is true even if the Church does not use the solemn ceremony of definition. The day to day teaching of the Church throughout the world, when the Bishops are in union with each other and with the Pope, and present something as definitive, this is infallible. (Vatican II, Lumen gentium # 25). ''

Taken from The Basic Catholic Catechism

PART FIVE: The Apostles' Creed IX - XII

Ninth Article: "The Holy Catholic Church; the Communion of Saints"

By William G. Most. © Copyright 1990 by William G. Most.

Hope that makes sense and answers your questions. As far as the word "definitive"", that means that the teaching is declared as truth. Infallible teachings have been defined once and for all and can no longer be disputed by Catholics. The need to define certain teachings often arises from heresies that gain popularity, or a desire to settle long standng theological disputes once and for all. All of these "definitive" teachings must be based on sacred scripture and the teaching traditions of the church. In other words, the bishops and the pope can not simply invent new teachings out of thin air, or manipulate church dogma to try to advance their own agendas. On the other side of the coin, a doctrine of the church is not less true because it has not been declared "ex cathedra." The requirements and circumstances that have to be met for a teaching to be infallible are very narrow, and this is for a reason.

HTH!

Well, it sounds like you are doing GREAT!

We have been using the St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism this year. (I have a First Communicant to prepare this year.) It is similar to the Baltimore Catechism in that it is old-fashion question and answer. We do it as a group once or twice a week. I start a chapter by asking the questions and seeing what the kids know already. Then we talk about the answers, and I do some explaining/illustrating the concept. Then I have all the kids repeat the answer a few times. Repeat process with next question. At the end of the chapter, I quickly just go over the straight questions and answers to review. Then next time we do catechism together, I will review the questions from the previous chapter, going over the answers a few times to help memorize. Now that we've gone through several chapters, I always review the chapter we did last time in full and pull few questions from early chapters.

My kids love the question and answer format. They love competing to see who remembers the most answers during review time. They also love discussing the questions as a group, thinking of examples or stories that relate, etc. I have been really happy with it this year.

This is from this site:

"Extraordinary" and "ordinary" refer to the manner in which a truth is stated by the Church whether that truth is infallible or whether it is not. Using the parent-child relationship as a model--when you correct or remind your children about good manners, say for example, that they should remember to say "thank you" when a waiter in a restaurant brings them their meal, that is an "ordinary" exercise of your authority as a parent. But, if you were to write up a set of rules for proper behavior when going out to eat and you were to announce these rules officially at a special family meeting that would be an "extraordinary" exercise of your parental authority. It is in this way that the Magisterium, which consists of both a papal and an episcopal dimension, can exercise authority over the Church. When the Pope speaks in authority in his role as Vicar of Christ, what is known as "ex cathedra", or "from the chair," a papal statement or an ecumenical council at which many bishops'the successors of the Apostles'are gathered issue an official statement, this would be an example of the Magisterium (mother Church) teaching in an "extraordinary" manner."

We cross-posted the same example. Great minds think alike!

You did such a good job of explaining this succinctly.

Just took the quiz. I am a sacramental model @ 72% and then Herald at 67%. Not quite sure what that means, but it was fun taking it!

To all that took the quiz, not just Faith, but I am not very good at multi quoting on my iPad...

I found this summary of Dulles' models of the Church. http://youngadultclc.org/wp-core/wp-content/uploads/caminos-handouts/3.09-Handout-1_Models-of-Church.pdf

It is interesting to see where I lay emphasis on the Church and what the pros and cons of that emphasis could be. I was intrigued with it because it helps me better understand fellow Catholics who emphasize different aspects of the Church than I do.

Hmm, apart from my older guy who does F&L 8 on his own with me prereading and such, I use F&L and the baltimore with all of them at the same time.

No copywork, I use that for other stuff and I don't want to use all of my copywork chips with catechism. Discuss and move on.

I think the biggest change for us this year has been that catechism isn't compartmentalized --especially since we use a Catholic history, and i use things like The Harp and Laurel Wreath for copy work...

It all gets talked about, you know?

Ok, not to sound dense :lol: do you do a different level each day so each kid is getting F&L at their level but also listening in on the other kids' levels? That sounds like it might work as the lessons are short enough as a read aloud. :)

We have been using the St. Joseph's First Communion Catechism this year. (I have a First Communicant to prepare this year.) It is similar to the Baltimore Catechism in that it is old-fashion question and answer. We do it as a group once or twice a week. I start a chapter by asking the questions and seeing what the kids know already. Then we talk about the answers, and I do some explaining/illustrating the concept. Then I have all the kids repeat the answer a few times. Repeat process with next question. At the end of the chapter, I quickly just go over the straight questions and answers to review. Then next time we do catechism together, I will review the questions from the previous chapter, going over the answers a few times to help memorize. Now that we've gone through several chapters, I always review the chapter we did last time in full and pull few questions from early chapters.

My kids love the question and answer format. They love competing to see who remembers the most answers during review time. They also love discussing the questions as a group, thinking of examples or stories that relate, etc. I have been really happy with it this year.

I love the Q&A idea! Given that most all the doctrine and beliefs are relatively new to the boys (first official year of RE though last year while I was going through RCIA, we read M. H.'s A Life of Our Lord). I think I'll use your idea and Mouse's instead of trying to separate them out. Maybe by the time ds11 is in grade 8 he'll be willing to read his on his own. ;)

Has anyone used any (or all) of the Behold and See science texts from CHC? Science is the one area where I just can't find something I like. I'm holding out hope for REAL Science Odyssey's Biology level 2 due out next month (to use next year) but if it doesn't look good, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want really formal science until 9th grade (and then we'll probably go with Kolbe and textbooks), but for him for another couple years as well as the younger ones, I like the look of some of the B&S books.

Oh, and you all must stop discussing Catholic history books! :lol: I have quite a collection going now (though I'm still wanting to find something good for Ancient history; we are using K12's Human Odyssey, which is very very nice, but there isn't much in The Old World and America nor The Old World's Gifts to the New until we hit Greece and Rome (which won't be until summer/fall for us).

:iagree:

Ok, not to sound dense :lol: do you do a different level each day so each kid is getting F&L at their level but also listening in on the other kids' levels? That sounds like it might work as the lessons are short enough as a read aloud. :)

I love the Q&A idea! Given that most all the doctrine and beliefs are relatively new to the boys (first official year of RE though last year while I was going through RCIA, we read M. H.'s A Life of Our Lord). I think I'll use your idea and Mouse's instead of trying to separate them out. Maybe by the time ds11 is in grade 8 he'll be willing to read his on his own. ;)

What Maria said, I just use one book for all of them except the older dude. :D I have too may to go according to grade level, so I pick the one that best suits us. For the past few weeks it was F&L 2 because she was focusing on her first reconciliation and then First Communion prep. Then we'll go back to 5th. But I run it exactly like Maria wrote.

Ds did Behold and See 5 last year in a coop setting. It was fine. Short, because even though they met only 1x/week, they were finished long before the school year ended, like maybe in February? For us as non-Catholics in a Catholic setting, it was theologically unproblematic, and not too heavy on the God-talk. I mean, I like God-talk, ;) but it's really kinda out of place to have a lot of it in a *science* text. I thought it was quite well balanced in that sense--it mentions God and the wonder of Creation, but not on every page, kwim? The third grade one I have seen extensively and thought pretty silly, in the sense of either "ramp it up some, or just do nature study and call it good". It felt busy-workish to me at that level. However, I have friends who've really liked the B&S3; YMMV, etc. etc. :)

I have a question. Do Catholic Priests do house blessings at this time of year like EO? Do the fling Holy Water in the same manner? :)

A priest will do a house blessing any time of the year. Generally they will do it when one moves into a new house. I remember reading that we have a tradition similar to yours but it isn't a widespread practice anymore. I don't know why.

We get holy water flung at us several times a year at church.

A priest will do a house blessing any time of the year. Generally they will do it when one moves into a new house. I remember reading that we have a tradition similar to yours but it isn't a widespread practice anymore. I don't know why.

We get holy water flung at us several times a year at church.

Thanks! I meant does the Priest fling the Holy Water around your house during the blessing in the same manner, but I think I got it. ;) Appreciate it!

Thanks! I meant does the Priest fling the Holy Water around your house during the blessing in the same manner, but I think I got it. ;) Appreciate it!

Yes. :D The do cars, barns, horses (we have friends who just bought a new farm and father was there, blessing everything). Whatever you ask them to bless. I've brought in scapulars, necklaces, medals for the house (some people get a really big St. Benedict medal and put one at each entrance of their house).

There's also a big ...container with a spigot in the narthex where you can go refill your holy water containers.

Yes. :D The do cars, barns, horses (we have friends who just bought a new farm and father was there, blessing everything). Whatever you ask them to bless. I've brought in scapulars, necklaces, medals for the house (some people get a really big St. Benedict medal and put one at each entrance of their house).

There's also a big ...container with a spigot in the narthex where you can go refill your holy water containers.

Okay, I think I am confusing the issue more!!!! :) This time of year everyone from the parish schedules their "house blessing." It is jokingly referred to as "house blessing season." The Priest comes and prays with you in your Icon corner and then goes through the ENTIRE house flinging Holy Water. You can ask at other times of the year, but this occurs every year in the month after Theophany right after the blessing of the waters.

I am trying to figure out if my Protestant missionary friend in Israel, whose daughter witnesses a "Catholic" priest go into her Hebrew tutors house and fling holy water around was indeed Catholic or if my friend cannot tell the difference between Catholic and Orthodox. :)

Okay, I think I am confusing the issue more!!!! :) This time of year everyone from the parish schedules their "house blessing." It is jokingly referred to as "house blessing season." The Priest comes and prays with you in your Icon corner and then goes through the ENTIRE house flinging Holy Water. You can ask at other times of the year, but this occurs every year in the month after Theophany right after the blessing of the waters.

I am trying to figure out if my Protestant missionary friend in Israel, whose daughter witnesses a "Catholic" priest go into her Hebrew tutors house and fling holy water around was indeed Catholic or if my friend cannot tell the difference between Catholic and Orthodox. :)

It is very possible that her priest is catholic. Things may be done in Israel slightly different there then they are here no matter what is being blessed. There are lots and lots of little things that vary region to region, country to country - from head coverings to the blessing of the family dog.

Well, for Theophany, father blesses chalk, and above our doors we write with the blessed chalk 20 C+M+B 13 (the initials are for the three wise men) we have house blessing prayers (Dh leads these) and we go through the house with the holy water, flinging it around every room.

Separately from that, you can call the priest and get your house blessed any time you want. We had ours blessed right after we moved in. I do know some Catholics who have it blessed every year, along with the household salt.

Dooes anyone have this set? http://www.amazon.com/Book-Saints-Books-Joseph-Picture/dp/0899423140

We went to our local Catholic bookstore today and the kids wanted to get a few of these, so I ended up just buying the whole set since it would be much cheaper that way. Just curious if you had it how and if you do, whether your children like the set.

Has anyone used any (or all) of the Behold and See science texts from CHC? Science is the one area where I just can't find something I like. I'm holding out hope for REAL Science Odyssey's Biology level 2 due out next month (to use next year) but if it doesn't look good, I'm not sure what to do. I don't want really formal science until 9th grade (and then we'll probably go with Kolbe and textbooks), but for him for another couple years as well as the younger ones, I like the look of some of the B&S books.

Oh, and you all must stop discussing Catholic history books! :lol: I have quite a collection going now (though I'm still wanting to find something good for Ancient history; we are using K12's Human Odyssey, which is very very nice, but there isn't much in The Old World and America nor The Old World's Gifts to the New until we hit Greece and Rome (which won't be until summer/fall for us).

We are using Behold and See 2 this year, along with the Burgess Animal book. I like it, I don't think it is the most thorough curriculum, but it suits our purposes. I am trying to simplify things, and do a more LCC style day, so we are also using MP materials.

My ds8 is a workbook type learner, which boggles my mind because I am really drawn to CM style education. I don't like workbooks at all, but he loves them. I think that Behold and See works well for him, and I am also using the CHC spelling book (along with the Spell by Color workbook available free online).

I have been avoiding posting this. But here it goes...

I have decided not to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. The Church is beautiful. I love the Sacraments, and Liturgy, the Papal office, and the Early Church Fathers. I love the Saints and the beautiful statues and stained glass windows. But, I can not on good conscience be Confirmed in the Church.

For years, I have been struggling with my belief in God. I believe in a Higher Power, a Force of some kind. But I cannot say I believe about the Divine what Christians must believe by definition, to be a Christian.

To be honest, it is a relief to finally admit that I do not fit into the Christian framework of any kind. I am really okay with it. I will miss the comfort that the Church brought with its structure, but I know it is best for me to learn where I really belong, if anywhere.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience and kindness. I will never forget how welcoming and warm the Catholic Church was to me.