Menu

Help choosing carseat for 5.5 and almost 8 year old!

Oldest DD (turns 8 in a month, is 49" and 55#) is currently in a britax parkway.

DS in currently in a britax frontier. (He is 5.5 years, 40lbs... a little on the tall side but I don't know exact height).

I need the frontier for my 3 year old. I would like to move DS to a booster. I could give him the parkway and buy my oldest a no back. OR, I could buy DS a highback and keep both in boosters.

Any advice??? Any favorite boosters? I like the parkway, but am open to other options since they discontinued the cowprint...

lowback for dd and graco nautalis for ds....it will keep him harnessed another 25 pounds and converts to a highback then lowback very much worth it

I think I want him out of the harness,,, I've read there is no real safety difference between booster and harness after 4 years and 40lbs?

I think I want him out of the harness,,, I've read there is no real safety difference between booster and harness after 4 years and 40lbs?

*If* they can sit correctly in the booster 100% of the time. My DS is 7, I don't let him sit in the booster often because he doesn't always sit up correctly.

Here is a link with additional links and info on the topic. Sorry its all I could do with a wiggly 5 week old in my arms http://www.car-seat....ead.php?t=51619

It seems like there has been a shift of thinking recently away from harnessing as long as possible. That harnessing older kids could potentially be more dangerous. Some of the research coming from Sweden seems to recommend rear facing straight to high back booster (however, Swedes are rearfacing until 4-5 years of age typically).

My 8 year old DD is in a Britax Parkway and my 5 year old DD is in a Britax Regent (harnessed). We harness as long as possible here. DD8 was harnessed until she was 7.75 years old....and even then I was hesitant to move her from it but we needed a smaller carseat since baby came akong. She sits well in it though.

So, if you are harnessing as long as possible, why? Because everything I've read says that after 4 and 40lbs, there has been no proven safety difference. I actually left my oldest harnessed until over 7 years, but the research I've read since then seems to point away from doing that.

It seems like there has been a shift of thinking recently away from harnessing as long as possible. That harnessing older kids could potentially be more dangerous. Some of the research coming from Sweden seems to recommend rear facing straight to high back booster (however, Swedes are rearfacing until 4-5 years of age typically).
So, if you are harnessing as long as possible, why? Because everything I've read says that after 4 and 40lbs, there has been no proven safety difference. I actually left my oldest harnessed until over 7 years, but the research I've read since then seems to point away from doing that.

All the crash test footage I've studied shows kids are safer left harnessed. A booster is not a restraint, all it does is aid the seat belt system in fitting a child. That means a 4 yr 40 lb child is only restrained by a 3 point belt which, in best case crashes, allows for a lot of movement. More movement equals a higher chance of injury. I do prefer a low profile harnessed restraint for older kids (Diono Radian vs Britax Marathon, for example) to reduce head excursion (how far the head travels forward in a crash).

If you choose a booster for your 5 y/o, and if the Parkway still fits your 8 y/o, then I'd get another Parkway for your 5 y/o. If the 8 y/o is near outgrowing the height of the Parkway, then I'd look at a good fitting backless. My 8 y/o likes the fit of the Evenflo Amp and Harmony backless. I haven't tried him in any of the higher quality backless boosters since we don't have any around here. Just make sure the vehicle offers head protection from the top of the ears down.

All kids need to stay in a booster until they pass the 5 step test, usually somewhere around 4'9"-4'11".

hth.

All the crash test footage I've studied shows kids are safer left harnessed. A booster is not a restraint, all it does is aid the seat belt system in fitting a child. That means a 4 yr 40 lb child is only restrained by a 3 point belt which, in best case crashes, allows for a lot of movement. More movement equals a higher chance of injury. I do prefer a low profile harnessed restraint for older kids (Diono Radian vs Britax Marathon, for example) to reduce head excursion (how far the head travels forward in a crash).

If you choose a booster for your 5 y/o, and if the Parkway still fits your 8 y/o, then I'd get another Parkway for your 5 y/o. If the 8 y/o is near outgrowing the height of the Parkway, then I'd look at a good fitting backless. My 8 y/o likes the fit of the Evenflo Amp and Harmony backless. I haven't tried him in any of the higher quality backless boosters since we don't have any around here. Just make sure the vehicle offers head protection from the top of the ears down.

All kids need to stay in a booster until they pass the 5 step test, usually somewhere around 4'9"-4'11".

hth.

Do you have links to the crash test info? I've read a lot on the car-seat forums and the trend seems to be away from extended harnessing. However, I do not want to be influenced by random people on that message board!

I've studied other tests, but this basic one shows how much the boostered child moves vs the harnessed child. The boostered child is older and taller, but you can still see how the body moves and twists vs the harnessed child that moves less AND the body stays in alignment.

Every parent has to choose what they feel is best, but, as a 11 year certified tech, I choose to keep them harnessed as long as possible, 7 or older when possible.

My girls turn seven within the next two weeks. They are harnessed.

My 4 and 5yos are harnessed too, of course.

My almost 18month old is backward facing (and if she stays here, will be until 3 or 4).

We have chosen to just use a high back booster for the 8yo for now (mixed feelings).

I wouldn't even consider not having 4 and 5yos unharnessed since there are seats big enough to harness them.

There may be a few kids who could sit correctly 100% of the time, but *I* haven't seen them.

Kids, especially boys, those ages aren't MADE to stay perfectly seated.

I had a similar situation, and this summer I switched the 8 year old to a Harmony backless booster (the cheap booster at Walmart/Target - it actually works VERY well!). I love that booster especially for times when 8 year old needs to change vehicles or ride with a friend. It's easy to bring his booster along. I can even throw one in the van if we're picking up a friend. They're cheap enough to have extras laying around!

My 6 year old rides in a Parkway in DH's truck. He rides in the Frontier in our van, as does my 3.5 year old (he rearfaced until just before he turned 3, when our vehicles were in a garage fire and I had to replace ALL the carseats we owned, and he was close enough to outgrowing rearfacing that I just switched him to a Frontier). My 6 year old is not mature enough yet to ride in a booster full time. He does well in the truck, but in the van when he's farther away from the driver, he can get silly. :p

I kept my oldest harnessed as long as I could, but he's fairly tall. I think he was the only one in his K class still harnessed. Some of those kids were lucky to even be in lowback boosters that they really weren't quite ready for. DS just finally fit the low back booster this summer, and now he fits it really well. It's easier for him to buckle than the high back, since he can see the stalk. Good all around. I look forward to the day my middle son matures enough to use one... it won't be that soon though. There's a reason why I bought the Frontier for him. :D

I advise every parent looking for a booster to watch this set of crash tests from Which.co.uk. It shows the difference between high and low back boosters and how they compare to a full harness.

Frankly I watch race car drivers wear a full harness. If there's no difference in safety, what's the point?

Both of my kids sit up nicely in their boosters, even when asleep. Dd has slumped forward a few times, but that wakes her up and she sits back up. I do encourage and try to model good posture at all times. Dd is nearly 48 inches and over 40 lbs. DS is closer to 52 inches and over 50 lbs. They have always been tall. We moved them when their heads stuck out the top of the 5 pt harness seats.