Menu

What to buy a 7yo girl that doesn't play

Dory

We are getting close to Christmas and shopping everyone else is done, but I can't come up with anything for my dd. There aren't any toys that she wants. The only time she touched toys is when other little girls are over. She draws, paints, and daydreams her free time away. Unless she is fighting with her brothers. She already has basic art supplies. For once in her short little life I would like to get a gift for her that actually makes her eyes light up. It seems rather pitiful that I don't know what to buy my own daughter, but she really is a hard kid to peg down. Any ideas out there?

I would get her a real art kit with an easel- A pretty wooden one with drawing and paint supplies in it. Like this one. Also, a huge, pretty box filled with miscellaneous art and craft supplies would be a hit here. A subscription to Creativity Express or Kistler's online art site would also be a hit with my arty girl. My DD enjoyed the Doodle Book for Girls that starts pictures or give a suggestion and the child finishes it. All my kids enjoyed the Mike's Imagination Station DVD series.

If you have a Hobby Lobby or JoAnne's nearby wander through and you'll find plenty to choose from.

Would she be started on some new crafts? What about the plastic canvas that you weave the yarn through? Latch hook? Does she read? As a child, the highlight of Christmas was new books. A new bedset or decorations for her room? Are there any low cost art classes she could take? You could also do something like find a local production and take her for dinner and a show; so something more of an experience than a "thing."

I have a 7yo dd and though she does play with toys, she will also draw for hours on end. She really like to listen to books on tape while drawing. As far as kits go, she likes the potholder loom thing and comes back to it over and over. Now if I can just figure out what to do with all the potholders. Does she play on the computer? Mine likes games, but maybe yours would like some sort of art/drawing software.

Would she like art lessons? Or a trip to a real art museum? Art books--either about artists and their work, or "how to draw/paint" books?

If she is creative she may enjoy learning to knit or sew. You could get her supplies and a book or some patterns. Does she like science? You could get her books and/or supplies and the subjects are endless...animals, astronomy, simple chemistry, etc.

How about Sculpey Clay? It is easy to work with and doens't get hard unless you bake it but you can make a lot of detailed items with it. Hobby Lobby and Michaels often have 40% off sales/coupons and there are lots of books of designs, tools to use, etc.

These are some great ideas. I hadn't thought of art on the computer. Cooking and knitting might strike her fancy as might some clay. Art classes or indoor swimming are an impossibility where we live unfortunately. We've tried latch hook and it was a flop. Books are always alright, but I feel like that's all I ever get her.

Klutz used to have a couple of books giving ideas for creating fun stuff with Sculpey clay. It looks like they are out of print now, or else I am not awake enough to do a successful Amazon search this morning, but they show as being available used for a couple of dollars. If you end up giving your dd some Sculpey, having one of these books on hand might give her some ideas for nifty stuff to make. We have both of the books and my kids have spent many hours making stuff inspired from the books.

What about something like this: http://www.amazon.co...ds=tracing desk

We got my artist dd one of these when she was younger and she loved it. You put in a tiny viewmaster like disk, (each one has several pictures), it projects it onto the "desk" and they trace it, and then they can color and customize the picture.

Or this: http://www.target.co...9e-00006d2b269a

or this: http://www.target.co...page.vertical_1

One year we got her an adjustable drafting table for all her art projects/painting. That was a huge hit.

Do you know what she is day dreaming about? I would find out. I don't think art supplies will make her eyes light up, unless she has never had any.

My DD didn't have anything either, but I kept talking to her and finally found some things she liked. One was to go and pick out her own Christmas dress (I usually buy one after Christmas on sale, but didn't last year) and get to pick out a necklace and bracelet to go with them.

Do you know what she is day dreaming about? I would find out. I don't think art supplies will make her eyes light up, unless she has never had any.

My DD didn't have anything either, but I kept talking to her and finally found some things she liked. One was to go and pick out her own Christmas dress (I usually buy one after Christmas on sale, but didn't last year) and get to pick out a necklace and bracelet to go with them.

She has been shopping for a couple years now. I go to supervise and remind her to watch for sales, but she is pretty independent with clothes shopping. Thank you for asking what she daydreams about. It started a conversation between us. When I asked what she was thinking about though she told me nothing. When I asked what she normally daydreamed about she informed me that she never daydreams. *snort* So I asked her what she would talk about with her best friend if she were to give her a call today and she finally started talking. I had no idea she was interested in animal anatomy! Nor had I realized that her poetry skills had grown so much. I might take a look at some books on basic horse anatomy. That at least is something I know about.