Menu

Stainless Steel Skillets? Help!

I need skillet help :D

I don't use non-stick skillets but I am growing weary of using cast iron all the time, because I can't put them in my dishwasher. Is there a certain brand of stainless steel skillet that I should choose? Obviously I would like them to be as "non-stick" as possible and I'd like to have a few sizes too. And I want to put them in the dishwasher.

And I'm desperate, because I have no clue which are the best.

Thank you so much!

If you're used to cast iron, you will probably like something with a heavy bottom, so look for things with triple-ply/multi-clad construction at least on the bottom, if not throughout. I have a mix of "try-me" ones from Cuisinart and Calphalon, and I like both about the same. (I also use the dishwasher all the time, and while I don't care what happens to the finish, I haven't seen any problems so far.)

Stainless is a pain with eggs and cheese (and baked goods -- but we usually line with parchment paper), but with just about anything else it cleans up easy enough. I don't think there is any difference in cleanup among stainless pans.

If you're used to cast iron, you will probably like something with a heavy bottom, so look for things with triple-ply/multi-clad construction at least on the bottom, if not throughout. I have a mix of "try-me" ones from Cuisinart and Calphalon, and I like both about the same. (I also use the dishwasher all the time, and while I don't care what happens to the finish, I haven't seen any problems so far.)

Stainless is a pain with eggs and cheese (and baked goods -- but we usually line with parchment paper), but with just about anything else it cleans up easy enough. I don't think there is any difference in cleanup among stainless pans.

I will look into both of these. MIL needs Christmas ideas for me. This may be just the thing...

:svengo: Please no. Say it isn't so.

The dishwasher detergent is abrasive. You know how it etches glasses? Over time it will do the same thing to the shiny finish on the outside of the stainless steel pots. Since I purchased pots with the intention of not having to do it again in my lifetime I don't want the finish messed up. So I've resigned myself to hand washing. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I traded my (complete failure, every piece) Calphalon One for Calphalon stainless. It's great. I never have sticking problems with it or my decade + Revere Ware (with the heavy clad bottoms, not the copper).

Follow this rule given to us by the late Jeff Smith (aka, the Frugal Gourmet): hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick. ;)

I put my stainless in the dishwasher. I read in a book - Green something, like "guerrilla" but not that - that the etching actually comes from not leaving enough food residues on dishes, which apparently lets the enzymes roll around being scratchy. We have 13 year old glasses that are perfectly clear, so I must leave enough. Lol. I even admit that, should something burn on, I take Barkeeper's Friend to it. No issues.

I recommend All Clad. I splurged and bought one, used the 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond about a decade ago. Emerilware is also very good, I have a couple of his pots and like them better than the Calphalon.

I never put my stainless pots in the dishwasher. Years ago I put a pewter spoon rest in there, it dulled the finish, so I'm pretty wary of putting any metal in there now. If you have stuck on food, just "deglaze" them with a bit of water while they are still hot, it comes right off and they are easier to clean then. If it needs shining up a little Bar Keepers Friend does the trick.

Stainless is not a reactive metal. Aluminum, silver and pewter are. I'm honestly shocked your spoon rest didn't come out pitted, but one metal isn't the same as another in this case.

Another vote for BB&B, too. They are the ones who exchanged my Calphalon piece for piece, even though I had no idea where the pieces were purchased.

The dishwasher detergent is abrasive. You know how it etches glasses? Over time it will do the same thing to the shiny finish on the outside of the stainless steel pots. Since I purchased pots with the intention of not having to do it again in my lifetime I don't want the finish messed up. So I've resigned myself to hand washing. It takes less than 5 minutes.

:001_huh:

Dishwasher detergent doesn't etch glasses. I have been using a dishwasher since 1987, and there's not a single etched glass in my house. Ditto with stainless steel. My stainless-steel waterless cookware still looks great, and I usually put it in the dishwasher.

I have a set of 9+ year old, Cuisinart SS, and I abuse and use it daily.

Dishwasher...oh yeah.

Something stuck, I use an SOS pad, knife, metal spatula, and it cleans right up easy as pie.

If it needs a shine up, I rinse it with vinegar and it's beautiful again:D.

I love not worrying about tearing up a toxic finish.

I put all my stainless in the dishwasher. It doesn't look shiny and new, but it doesn't work any differently either, so I can't speak to that issue.

We do the hot (but not blazing hot) pan, cold oil thing too, and I don't fiddle with or push the food around until it's ready to be flipped. Generally (not always, but generally), if you your temp isn't too high and you wait until the food is ready to be flipped, it will have released enough juices or cooked enough on that side to come off pretty easily. I only use my cast iron for eggs, and I use my stainless for everything else. It works for us.

As for cleanup, as someone else mentioned, I find that if I empty the pain and just pour a big cup of water into it while it's still hot, by the time dinner is over and I'm ready to wash, the food residue comes right off, no elbow grease required at all. If I let the pan cool, then try to soak it, I have to fight with it.

I love my stainless and will never go back to nonstick :D

Oh, also, quality heavy bottoms are the key, especially in frying/saute pans. They distribute heat evenly, so you don't have hot/cool spots. I have a Tools of the Trade Belgique set from Macy's that we got 12 years ago as a shower gift, and they're still going strong. I also have a huge Cuisinart frying pan, also from Macy's, and also awesome. I find Macy's prices to be excellent for the quality, but if you're on a stricter budget, my mom loves the Tramontina pieces she's gotten from Walmart. I don't love them, but that could just be because I use them so rarely, I'm not accustomed to them.

HTH!

Have you looked into the ceramic coated pans? They are a bit more fuss to take care of (the finish can chip), but they are infinitely more non-stick than stainless, in my experience. I think they would be fine in the dishwasher, though I do hand wash mine just because I like to get it out of the way and I tend to avoid putting larger pots and pans in the dishwasher. I'm inept at loading it.

Not to make things more complicated or anything. :tongue_smilie:

I put stainless pans in the dishwasher. They stay bright and shiny at our house despite hundreds of trips through the dishwasher.

The key to eggs not sticking on stainless: hot pan, cold fat. If you let your pan heat up enough before cooking, and then add cold fat (I use butter from the fridge), the eggs do not stick at all. Be sure the whole pan bottom has a thin coat of the fat, and then add the eggs.

I went through 3 sets of cookware in the forst 5 yrs of my marriage... I finally bought a Cuisinart set from Amazon. I LOVE my Cuisinart Everyday Stainless set. They don't make that model anymore but they do make a similar all stainless set now. I have a big stock pot in the newer line and like it too. I have dishwasher no problem and the instructions said it would help shine it. Clean up is almost always a cinch even when one of my kids burns something. I have had then for 9 or 10 yrs and most still look almost new. (One lids doesn't because a child burned plastic or something on it and while clean it now looks weird). The best part is the cuisinart sets are not too expensive on amazon.