Menu

Any suggestions for teaching rhyming?

ShannonS

I have a DS5 that is struggling with the concept of rhyming. He can recognize all letters and their sounds, and is beginning to blend letters and sound out small words.

But

He does not get the rhyming thing. He wants to replicate the sound at the beginning of the word, rather than the end. For example, when asked to find a word that rhymes with 'hat', he responds with 'hand' and 'ham'. He has also responded with answers that are actual sounds. When asked what rhymes with 'cat', he has said 'meow'. When asked what rhymes with 'pan', he occasionally responds with 'bang'.

My DD8 learned to read when she was four and much of it was instinctual, she just seemed to pick up concepts naturally. I am not sure what do do in this situation with DS5. I have tried various songs and youtube videos, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Maybe working on phonemic awareness could help. Ask him to identify the LAST sound he hears in words. Say 2 words and ask if they are the same or different. Ex.; cat and cab, then can and can. Make sense?

We are beta testing LOE kindergarten, and it is AMAZING at teaching phonemic awareness. It is the most thorough phonics curriculum I have ever seen.

the book piggle teaches rhyming & it is a fun game. this is what i used with my daughter & son. i didn't buy it, just happened to have someone give it to me. Basically, you say "piggle" and rhyme as many nonsense words to it as you can. Then choose another word, and continue to rhyme nonsense words with it (i.e. piggle. biggle. wiggle. jiggle, etc). Both of my kids loved the game "piggle":)

It seems to be developmental. I would just keep reading. I know quite a few boys including my own who clicked between 5 and 6. My son could recognise a rhyme when written but not when said. I did do odd one out in the car with rhyming and non rhyming words which was fun.

It seems to be developmental. I would just keep reading. I know quite a few boys including my own who clicked between 5 and 6. My son could recognise a rhyme when written but not when said. I did do odd one out in the car with rhyming and non rhyming words which was fun.

Yes! Though at a later age you should start to be concerned, at this age it is normal. Also, getting the proximal sound wrong in a rhyme (hat and cut instead of cat) is normal as well. Have him say the sounds Ina choppy, unblendied way when going over things with him orally (not while decoding) - like "hu-ah-t" while raising a finger for each sound or sliding a token or counting chip ala AAS.

Also, read lots of rhyming things, and set him up to make a rhyme ("I look in the closet and see a hat, I look out the window and a see a _______ - his answer may be cat, bat, mat, etc).

I love the dust bunnies!!!

As part of our Phonics lesson, I added a rhyming game each day. I did this because dd5 was not learning what she needed from the set curriculum, and it was required by set curriculum.

We had no competitive pressure to learn rhyming during this time, in spite of it being a game. We worked together to find the answers. Just like learning to tie shoes or do cartwheels, we simply practiced briefly each day until the skill was mastered.

I have several rhyming games that I have picked up over the years, but I'll bet you can get some free ones online.

ETA: If you are app savvy, maybe you could find an app that does that, and let your child work on it every time you ride in the car.