Menu

Diary of a Wimpy Kid....

I've never read them, they're not my taste at all, but DS11 and DS13 adored them. They read them in their own time, voraciously. I'm always happy when they're reading a book so willingly and enthusiastically, however good or bad that book may be.

It's not for us at all, and we are not very conservative- quite liberal, in fact. I don't like all the bullying talk, references to puberty, etc. There are much better books out there.

FYI one of the books is dedicated to my girls' friend, Tomas, who died of a brain tumor last year. He loved the books, so the author dedicated one to him. I really wanted them to work for our family, but they don't.

I would say, if your child is at least 10, I would leave it up to them if they are interested in reading the books or not. I bought them for my dc because I think it gives a realistic portrayal of middle school "socialization" without them actually having to endure it themselves. It can also be appealing to struggling/reluctant readers, since it is set up somewhat as a "graphic novel" (comic strip style).

If your kids don't like them, ship them off to Goodwill.

From the little DS13 has read aloud to me from this series in the past, I disliked them A LOT. They are just not my cup of tea. I am; however, rather liberal in what I allow him to read so he has read and adored them all. Personally, if I could avoid having ever let them come into the house in the first place, I would. As it is, he is anxiously awaiting the newest installment.

For a 5 yr. old I would say that these are totally inappropriate. Trade them for something better. WAY better.

The books are hysterically funny and resent a pretty realistic view of things kids will deal with in Middle School (assuming they attend :D).

The lead character, Greg, has his character flaws to be sure, he is self-centered and immature, but he also has redemptive moments of character. His bad acts have negative consequences for him, while his innocent friend Rowley finds his goodness rewarded.

The books do have good moral values beneath the very funny situations Greg, his family and friends find themselves in.

The books are very engaging and many kids (especially otherwise reluctant readers) tend to gobble them up. Definitely don't throw them way. Read one for yourself. My son gobbled them up at 7. They have their own sort of literary value IMO.

Bill

i would only get rid of them if you really dislike the books. we think the movies & books are hilarious here. my son is 8 1/2 and has read them all. he read the first book at the end of last school year. it was the first time he couldn't put a book down & he devoured the series laughing the whole time. so if you are okay with the content, i would definitely hang onto them. for my son, they were great reads.

The books are hysterically funny and resent a pretty realistic view of things kids will deal with in Middle School (assuming they attend :D).

The lead character, Greg, has his character flaws to be sure, he is self-centered and immature, but he also has redemptive moments of character. His bad acts have negative consequences for him, while his innocent friend Rowley finds his goodness rewarded.

The books do have good moral values beneath the very funny situations Greg, his family and friends find themselves in.

The books are very engaging and many kids (especially otherwise reluctant readers) tend to gobble them up. Definitely don't throw them way. Read one for yourself. My son gobbled them up at 7. They have their own sort of literary value IMO.

Bill

My five-year-old learned to read from them, and Calvin Hobbes and Garfield. They were his big brother's, and my little guy was attracted to the simplistic drawings and the dialogue bubbles.

It doesn't seem to have damaged him at all. Of course, he has no real understanding of much of it, but there are things even he can laugh hysterically at.

Of course, I'm one of those bad mothers who let her daughters read Junie B. and Pippi Longstocking, too.

My children have all turned out well. . . so far. :D

My reluctant reader would read Diary books. So, I let him. They are written from a child's point of view, so the grammar isn't always correct. I found that after the first book, my ds would automatically correct the grammar when reading. I counted that as a good thing. Greg is kind of a jerk. But, we used those points in the story to talk about how he could have acted differently and how that would have affected the outcome.

I definitely wouldn't give them to a 5 yo. But I don't really believe in taking books away either, but they're not something I would suggest at that age. If he was a couple years older, I'd let him choose to keep them or return them for something else. As it is, if he hasn't seen them, I would probably return them and get something else - if he's on early readers, they're not going to be something he can read independently and it's not something I would personally read aloud. Or save them for in a few years. The words and pictures combo is great for reluctant readers. They have a certain humor and charm about them and do encapsulate what some kids feel like in school.