Menu

A question about election results

I thought they werent supposed to report, so as not to influence voting/voter turnout on the west coast? i wonder who told me that.... i usually dont watch election night coverage because its like watching a football game....coverage starts 2 hours before the big show, ya know.

sorry for the lack of caps and poor punctuation...typing on a broken keyboard..

They called my state immediately on polls closing. Of course you could have called it months ago.

They did change it after the bush gore election to not call states untill all the polls close. Florida has 2 time zones and they called it for gore before the western part of the state was done voting. Then of course it changed and we all remember the ensuing fiasco. So I believe the policy is all polls close before it is called. I think Idaho has 2 time zones as well?

See, this is why we should wait for the west coast, I find this annoying! let me vote before you declare a winner! :tongue_smilie:

I remember my mom saying one year she didn't vote because a winner had been declared long before their polls closed. She lives in HI.

It's not like those on the west coast haven't had any chance to vote at all, the polls there have been open for a good chunk of of the day as well. I believe WA is a mail in only ballot, so people have been able to vote for a while there.

Also, if we're going to wait for the west coast so as not to influence those who haven't voted, then shouldn't we wait for HI. I'm not sure many would enjoy being up so late as to wait for those polls to close.