Menu

Open and Go Cursive? 2nd grader

freemanfamilyof6

Need some ideas of open and go cursive handwriting programs/workbooks? I am using A Reason for Handwriting, and I don't really like it for cursive.

I am wanting more emphasis on strokes for my 2nd grade age daughter. Any thoughts? I also think she would do better with larger letters for examples and to trace right now.

Thanks.

The Carson-Dellosa handwriting comes with both vertical and slanted pages. The left-handed vertical hand is similar to HWOT and Spalding 6th edition; if the instructions in the above workbook are not detailed enough, you could supplement.

Read Spalding no matter what you end out choosing. You might find you don't need open-and-go after all. I don't. I just have the student apply the Spalding scripts when she does her How to Tutor copywork.

3edd9415.jpg

Edited by Hunter

I'm using Pentime, which is straight forward. It doesn't start with strokes, but it has a section that works on them about halfway through the cursive section of the book. I find that odd, but whatever... My son is learning cursive, and it's easy on me. We're using the grade 2 book, and we skipped the first half (manuscript).

We are using a Scholastic PDF book I got during the dollar days that is surprisingly good -- Cursive Writing made easy and fun by Kama Einhorn. We have substituted some more traditional loopy letters (capital E and C so far) at my daughter's request.

It has some fun activities and poems my DD enjoys.

It lacks detailed instruction on pencil hold, something I keep meaning to look up as my DD is a lefty.

We use Zaner-Bloser. It is cheap, open and go, effective, and pretty. Cursive instruction does begin with strokes.

Us too. I've also liked the Evan-Moor daily handwriting books if extra practice is needed -- the assignments are more-or-less interesting, though the pages are B&W (unlike ZB, which is color).

I also like having StartWrite software to generate lined paper (I've formatted some for our spelling tests) and copywork easily. It's isn't perfect but it does well for us.

I don't know about a digital version, but I have only ever purchased the student editions. They are very self-explanatory.

I haven't seen a digital.

DO NOT buy a teacher manual for the handwriting (unless you are quite well funded and think it'd be fun). If you want to follow their teaching method, discuss each letter/stroke before practicing (words that have it &c) and have the child draw it in the air a few times or trace it on their desk. At the ZB site you can peek inside the teacher lessons if you want.

We use Zaner-Bloser. It is cheap, open and go, effective, and pretty. Cursive instruction does begin with strokes.

Do you buy this directly from Zane-Bloser or is there another distributor? This looks like what DD needs.

Thanks!

ETA: Have you used their iPad app? I wonder if it would make practice more fun....

Edited by sunriseiz