Menu

Need help with a game plan for dd8

I could really use some help thinking through some options for dd8.

She's at a 6+ grade level in spelling and reading, based on the DORA reading assessment I gave her (out of curiosity). She's working a grade ahead in grammar and writing. I thought we were set working one grade ahead, but now the grammar seems like it's nearly all review (we are using FLL4) and she's flying through it, and she is writing pretty great summaries with WWE4 and SOTW.

Then there's math. She was going to do Singapore 3 this year (we finished 2b over the summer after working on it sporadically last year - I was busy teaching my 5 year old to read and slacked on math with her). 2b seemed awfully easy for her once we got to it, so I decided to try Singapore 4 instead this fall and use the Singapore 3 books for reviewing concepts she had a hard time with. We are 50 pages into the Singapore 4a workbook, and all of a sudden the entire Singapore 3a workbook is easy review.

If you've stayed with me this far, here is what I am trying to figure out:

1. How do I keep from freaking out? I was just getting used to the idea of having a student working one grade level ahead, in one area. But the idea that she might be skipping further than that is really making me feel anxious. Will these skips keep happening? What happens when she gets to high-school level material?

2. Testing or no? I am now interested in getting her into some gifted programs if she qualifies. Also, I feel like I need some sort of verification that it's okay to skip her ahead more than I already have - I'm a very systematic person and the idea of her having holes in conceptual knowledge slightly terrifies me. :D

3. What kind of programs/classes/curriculum should I be looking into? She loves learning about pretty much anything and is a very social kid.

Here were my grade 5 plans, some of which I may start earlier now (or switch entirely :lol:):

Singapore 5

WWS (and something for creative writing?)

R&S 5 (or Exercises in English?)

Finish up Spalding for spelling

Finish GSWL and start Henle

Finish Better Chinese My First Chinese Reader and start their middle school program

Continue Piano lessons

History and Literature - ?

Science?

Logic?

Art?

:bigear:

I would recommend not thinking in terms of grade-level materials and simply focus on her skills as she progresses. W/the exception of math, it is incredibly easy to educate w/o even encountering a "graded" text by using whole books/trade books on subjects vs. textbooks.

Foreign languages, especially Latin, are a good way to stretch strong students, etc.

FWIW, by approaching education this way I have never had a "freak out" about what to do next until my kids started needing college level classes and w/ the advent of Coursera/opencourseware, etc the options are pretty endless.

:grouphug:

This is my DD's pattern. (and she'll be 8 in 3 weeks, so she's close to your DD's age) Just when I think I have a handle on it, she jumps. Last year was when she apparently decided to leave elementary content, for the most part, behind.

What has worked this year is

1) she loves contests and competitions, so we've found quite a few that she wants to prepare for and participate in, which has given her an area to challenge herself

2) Finding online resources where she can move at her own pace

3) Creating opportunities for interest-specific interaction with others at a similar or higher level, which has meant, in some cases, setting up accounts for my almost 8 yr old on boards oriented for adult professionals/serious hobbyists in her interest areas.

All of this has slowed her down. For the first time, going into the Birthday/Thanksgiving/Christmas busy cycle, I'm not looking at needing to buy a whole new grade level of curriculum. There is actually a possibility that we might not finish everything this year! Woo Hoo!!!

As far as testing goes, l looked at the talent searches and decided to register DD with BESTS (Belin-Blank). I'd registered her with JHU after her 1st grade tests, and she qualified for their programs, but we haven't actually done anything with them. (If I want online classes, I'd rather join MelMichigan's EPGY OE group).

I'm very glad I did. For a free program (for 2nd/3rd graders, unless you choose to do optional testing) they've been MUCH more supportive than JHU, to the point of several pretty long phone conversations about curriculum choices, acceleration options,and so on. DD is taking the EXPLORE this year, with the hopes of getting more information about where to go next and because it is a test which, taken once, can open doors for other programs as well.

I would recommend not thinking in terms of grade-level materials and simply focus on her skills as she progresses. W/the exception of math, it is incredibly easy to educate w/o even encountering a "graded" text by using whole books/trade books on subjects vs. textbooks.

Foreign languages, especially Latin, are a good way to stretch strong students, etc.

FWIW, by approaching education this way I have never had a "freak out" about what to do next until my kids started needing college level classes and w/ the advent of Coursera/opencourseware, etc the options are pretty endless.

Thank you. I'm a long term planner, so I am looking ahead now at the possibility of her mastering high school material early and freaking out before I actually get there. :D

Also, I guess part of me was undecided on homeschooling all the way through high school, and the farther ahead she jumps the more it seems that homeschooling is our only option. It makes me a bit nervous!

She loves foreign languages and picks them up fairly quickly. I just purchased/looked through Henle and I think it will be a good challenge for her.

I've looked into open courseware in the past for myself, and should probably revisit the options that are available. Thanks for the reminder!

:grouphug:

This is my DD's pattern. (and she'll be 8 in 3 weeks, so she's close to your DD's age) Just when I think I have a handle on it, she jumps. Last year was when she apparently decided to leave elementary content, for the most part, behind.

What has worked this year is

1) she loves contests and competitions, so we've found quite a few that she wants to prepare for and participate in, which has given her an area to challenge herself

2) Finding online resources where she can move at her own pace

3) Creating opportunities for interest-specific interaction with others at a similar or higher level, which has meant, in some cases, setting up accounts for my almost 8 yr old on boards oriented for adult professionals/serious hobbyists in her interest areas.

All of this has slowed her down. For the first time, going into the Birthday/Thanksgiving/Christmas busy cycle, I'm not looking at needing to buy a whole new grade level of curriculum. There is actually a possibility that we might not finish everything this year! Woo Hoo!!!

As far as testing goes, l looked at the talent searches and decided to register DD with BESTS (Belin-Blank). I'd registered her with JHU after her 1st grade tests, and she qualified for their programs, but we haven't actually done anything with them. (If I want online classes, I'd rather join MelMichigan's EPGY OE group).

I'm very glad I did. For a free program (for 2nd/3rd graders, unless you choose to do optional testing) they've been MUCH more supportive than JHU, to the point of several pretty long phone conversations about curriculum choices, acceleration options,and so on. DD is taking the EXPLORE this year, with the hopes of getting more information about where to go next and because it is a test which, taken once, can open doors for other programs as well.

Thanks so much for your ideas! I'm glad that things have slowed down a bit on the planning front for you. :D Do you mind sharing your favorite online resources?

I need to do some more research on competitions/contests, as well as programs. I haven't looked into BESTS at all. Off to do some research...:auto:

My responses in red.

If you've stayed with me this far, here is what I am trying to figure out:

1. How do I keep from freaking out? I was just getting used to the idea of having a student working one grade level ahead, in one area. But the idea that she might be skipping further than that is really making me feel anxious. Will these skips keep happening? What happens when she gets to high-school level material? I don't know, but you should expect the unexpected. I freaked out when my oldest took off in reading when he was just starting to learn phonics. I kept trying to get his phonics caught up, but it was a losing battle. Just try to take things in stride and expect that things might not be what you expect.

2. Testing or no? I am now interested in getting her into some gifted programs if she qualifies. Also, I feel like I need some sort of verification that it's okay to skip her ahead more than I already have - I'm a very systematic person and the idea of her having holes in conceptual knowledge slightly terrifies me. :D If you can get her tested, I would. I think testing provided me (as a teacher) with valuable information on how to best teach my children. Math was my sticking point. I didn't want to skip ahead in math. I found a compromise this year by compacting and accelerating my sons' math.

Here were my grade 5 plans, some of which I may start earlier now (or switch entirely :lol:):

I wouldn't think about it as grade 5. I'd call her grade according to her age and just give her the work she is ready to do whether it is 5th grade level or 10th grade level.

Singapore 5

WWS (and something for creative writing?) My kids like NaNoWriMo workbooks

R&S 5 (or Exercises in English?)

Finish up Spalding for spelling

Finish GSWL and start Henle

Finish Better Chinese My First Chinese Reader and start their middle school program

Continue Piano lessons

History and Literature - ?

Science?

Logic?

Art?

:bigear:

Don't freak out. :tongue_smilie:

Like previous posters have written, it helps to set aside grade-level thinking and just focus on finding effective opportunities for learning. That often means huge piles of books and DVDs from the library.

We are using foreign languages in conjunction with history.

With my own DD8, I don't even worry about "skipping" at this point, since she seems to want to learn everything about everything. Yes, she's racing along at a crazy pace, but if she stumbles, it doesn't take too much to deal with it.

You might want to look for a math circle in your area. DD has really enjoyed participating in this. Our local program is not designed for teaching a specific level in math. Instead, math PhD students lead interesting and fun group discussions about some pretty complex math concepts.

We got pretty detailed test results as part of a medical study at no cost. If I had to pay for it, I doubt I would have done it unless I had a specific need for it. Some of the programs I have looked into require particular tests, sometimes their own tests, so I wouldn't go out and spend $1000+ at this point.

Kids do slow down as they hit high school. They might do APs early, or take extra classes, or use a university textbook, but in general, they do 6 high school type classes per year in high school. It is not like elementary, where they can zip through 3 years of math in 6 months.

I second foreign language, and will also suggest music. Just these 2 things take up hours of time for my older and keep him satisfied.

My approach is to ramp up the level of difficulty until he is challenged but not overwhelmed. I don't care what level that puts him at. It doesn't really matter to me.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Don't freak out. :D

Just teach your child, whereever she is. Don't worry about grade level. My 3rd grader is doing Singapore 5B right now very easily. He'll be starting prealgebra before he finishes 3rd grade. It's ok. There are plenty of routes in math, especially with AoPS courses in the mix. I think my son will slow down a bit once he gets to algebra. Elementary math is very simple.

For grammar, I had to bump up and also just not worry too much about it. We're doing GSWL also, and that includes a lot of the same grammar we do elsewhere. We've been doing KISS Grammar this year, which is more challenging, at least in the beginning. The end of level 1 is a bit blah/easy, so we're skimming through that. We're also picking and choosing lessons from R&S English 4, which is very easy also (though I like some of the usage lessons and such). We usually do grammar a few times a week. We did FLL3 last year in 2nd grade, and I knew FLL4 would be redundant for my son. That's where KISS is nice - you don't start at the beginning every year.

Thankfully, it will be a while before my son needs high school level material (with the exception of math, which I can handle). I don't try to challenge his reading level - it's well up there. He can read anything I put in front of him. He's slower to take to writing, as he's a typical pencil phobic boy, so I go his pace on that, pushing him bit by bit. In your case, looking at WWS might be a good idea. If that's too much, just write narrations across the curriculum for a while, maybe?

You can do this. :grouphug:

Don't freak out. :tongue_smilie:

Like previous posters have written, it helps to set aside grade-level thinking and just focus on finding effective opportunities for learning. That often means huge piles of books and DVDs from the library.

We are using foreign languages in conjunction with history.

With my own DD8, I don't even worry about "skipping" at this point, since she seems to want to learn everything about everything. Yes, she's racing along at a crazy pace, but if she stumbles, it doesn't take too much to deal with it.

You might want to look for a math circle in your area. DD has really enjoyed participating in this. Our local program is not designed for teaching a specific level in math. Instead, math PhD students lead interesting and fun group discussions about some pretty complex math concepts.

We got pretty detailed test results as part of a medical study at no cost. If I had to pay for it, I doubt I would have done it unless I had a specific need for it. Some of the programs I have looked into require particular tests, sometimes their own tests, so I wouldn't go out and spend $1000+ at this point.

The math circle idea is great. It is going to take me a while to research all of the options we have.

I see what you are talking about re: the testing. I wish all of these programs would settle on just one particular test and be done with it. :D There are so many testing options...

Kids do slow down as they hit high school. They might do APs early, or take extra classes, or use a university textbook, but in general, they do 6 high school type classes per year in high school. It is not like elementary, where they can zip through 3 years of math in 6 months.

I second foreign language, and will also suggest music. Just these 2 things take up hours of time for my older and keep him satisfied.

My approach is to ramp up the level of difficulty until he is challenged but not overwhelmed. I don't care what level that puts him at. It doesn't really matter to me.

Ruth in NZ

Thank you. It's good to hear that the pace usually slows down as they get older. :001_smile:

Don't freak out. :D

Just teach your child, whereever she is. Don't worry about grade level. My 3rd grader is doing Singapore 5B right now very easily. He'll be starting prealgebra before he finishes 3rd grade. It's ok. There are plenty of routes in math, especially with AoPS courses in the mix. I think my son will slow down a bit once he gets to algebra. Elementary math is very simple.

For grammar, I had to bump up and also just not worry too much about it. We're doing GSWL also, and that includes a lot of the same grammar we do elsewhere. We've been doing KISS Grammar this year, which is more challenging, at least in the beginning. The end of level 1 is a bit blah/easy, so we're skimming through that. We're also picking and choosing lessons from R&S English 4, which is very easy also (though I like some of the usage lessons and such). We usually do grammar a few times a week. We did FLL3 last year in 2nd grade, and I knew FLL4 would be redundant for my son. That's where KISS is nice - you don't start at the beginning every year.

Thankfully, it will be a while before my son needs high school level material (with the exception of math, which I can handle). I don't try to challenge his reading level - it's well up there. He can read anything I put in front of him. He's slower to take to writing, as he's a typical pencil phobic boy, so I go his pace on that, pushing him bit by bit. In your case, looking at WWS might be a good idea. If that's too much, just write narrations across the curriculum for a while, maybe?

You can do this. :grouphug:

Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your experience! I think we will finish FLL4 (we are coming up on predicate adjectives and nominatives, and those are new to her) and then I may mix it up a bit after that. I might start to work through Rex Barks (diagramming) with her and use something else to teach usage and mechanics. I've looked at KISS but have such a hard time with the website, it makes my brain hurt. :lol:

Dd8 is finally at the point where she is happy to write. YAY. Last year she would complete her writing assignments, but not without moaning and groaning about it. This year something clicked, and she stopped complaining. I am curious to see how she will do with WWS.

Thank you. I'm a long term planner, so I am looking ahead now at the possibility of her mastering high school material early and freaking out before I actually get there. :D

Also, I guess part of me was undecided on homeschooling all the way through high school, and the farther ahead she jumps the more it seems that homeschooling is our only option. It makes me a bit nervous!

As a former long term planner, I suggest completely giving up that idea. I hardly plan more than a month ahead...I have a general idea in my head of where we are going and what comes next to reach that goal. Grade levels are out the window. (My 10yo is covering more material in similar coursework than her brothers in high school.) Yeah, public school for high school is probably not a great option for her for this and other reasons.

There are plenty of ways to "slow down" though so I am not really thinking of early graduation at this point. We can go broader in certain subjects. There is always more to learn. She can cover subjects not usually covered in a regular high school program like more foreign languages (she's working on 2 right now and I am planning to add Latin) or different types of math courses. There are also options in our area for community college classes. I am considering seeing if she can sit in on the beginning level music theory course at our local community college as soon as they offer it at a time that works for us.

I think once I gave up on the idea of grade levels and planning long term, I was able to just enjoy the ride and not panic so much when I realized exactly where we were after those huge jumps in learning. It is difficult for me to have a whole-parts learner when my others were so sequential (which makes planning a little easier).

Good luck!

As a former long term planner, I suggest completely giving up that idea. I hardly plan more than a month ahead...I have a general idea in my head of where we are going and what comes next to reach that goal. Grade levels are out the window. (My 10yo is covering more material in similar coursework than her brothers in high school.) Yeah, public school for high school is probably not a great option for her for this and other reasons.

There are plenty of ways to "slow down" though so I am not really thinking of early graduation at this point. We can go broader in certain subjects. There is always more to learn. She can cover subjects not usually covered in a regular high school program like more foreign languages (she's working on 2 right now and I am planning to add Latin) or different types of math courses. There are also options in our area for community college classes. I am considering seeing if she can sit in on the beginning level music theory course at our local community college as soon as they offer it at a time that works for us.

I think once I gave up on the idea of grade levels and planning long term, I was able to just enjoy the ride and not panic so much when I realized exactly where we were after those huge jumps in learning. It is difficult for me to have a whole-parts learner when my others were so sequential (which makes planning a little easier).

Good luck!

Make sure that she's sitting in on a music theory class for majors/minors, not one that's a gen ed elective. Having taught both, I'm about 99.9% sure that your DD will be beyond the latter and that the students in the latter will frustrate her beyond belief. It's the difference between being able to expect the kids to come in already at least reading one clef extremely well and with a basic understanding of how music works (because they've been reading it and playing it/singing in it for years, so even if they don't KNOW what an Augmented 6th chord is, they've heard thousands of them and when they're given the terminology, it clicks) and having them ask what the squiggly thing on the lines is :tongue_smilie:.

I have no words of wisdom, but just wanted to share you (and all those who replied) have helped me feel so much better! I just did a whole planning shift last night, realizing we were going to be finished with our current math and writing/grammar program by Christmas. I feel like it is a Jacob's Ladder ... you know where you flip the top block, and all the others thwap down? We are fine, then all of a sudden we are zooming and off track.... then I realign and boom, there were go again. :)

Social studies and science I am just stretching out and going really in-depth; but English and math - well, those are hard to stretch, hah.

We also do Spanish, but I think perhaps - after reading the guidance here - we will also add music. I really haven't formally added that in but we really want to learn the guitar here. :)

Good luck to you - sounds like this is just the normal way of things for our kiddos. :)

I feel like it is a Jacob's Ladder ... you know where you flip the top block, and all the others thwap down? We are fine, then all of a sudden we are zooming and off track.... then I realign and boom, there were go again. :)

I know exactly what you mean!!!

Social studies and science I am just stretching out and going really in-depth; but English and math - well, those are hard to stretch, hah.

Not hard at all. There are a lot of things you can do to stretch math...add biographies of mathematicians and take bunny trails into what they were passionate about e.g. Mandelbrot fractals. Play with math! Not just math games but try to find patterns: e.g. Pascal's triangle. Play coordinate graphing games. Make your own Sudoku puzzles etc.

For English, we gave up formal grammar and spelling ages ago. We play word games, read tons and love finding new tidbits about the history of the language.

I know exactly what you mean!!!

Not hard at all. There are a lot of things you can do to stretch math...add biographies of mathematicians and take bunny trails into what they were passionate about e.g. Mandelbrot fractals. Play with math! Not just math games but try to find patterns: e.g. Pascal's triangle. Play coordinate graphing games. Make your own Sudoku puzzles etc.

For English, we gave up formal grammar and spelling ages ago. We play word games, read tons and love finding new tidbits about the history of the language.

Haha, no - you are right! But what I mean is ... once you get fractions, it's no fun to just keep relearning and applying them. Whereas in science, the solar system can occupy you for months if you need it to! :)

The only time I ever did a little freak was when Dd was preschool age, but that's because the news was conveying that a child's future is determined whether not she goes to a top-notch preschool. :rolleyes: I momentarily forgot what DD was doing at 4 years old. Now only the wallet freaks out.

We've been using Henle for several years. Slow and steady progress and all that. It does provide just enough challenge so that no one here feels frustrated.

I know AOPS Pre-A is supposed to be a stand-alone program, but I've combined it with Key to Algebra and SM5/MM5. I noticed that DD needs a more in-depth study into certain elementary concepts, but also practice problems for reinforcement. Again, AOPS is going to be another slow-and-steady progress sort of book, but that works for us here.

Have you considered Greek? :D

Make sure that she's sitting in on a music theory class for majors/minors, not one that's a gen ed elective. Having taught both, I'm about 99.9% sure that your DD will be beyond the latter and that the students in the latter will frustrate her beyond belief. It's the difference between being able to expect the kids to come in already at least reading one clef extremely well and with a basic understanding of how music works (because they've been reading it and playing it/singing in it for years, so even if they don't KNOW what an Augmented 6th chord is, they've heard thousands of them and when they're given the terminology, it clicks) and having them ask what the squiggly thing on the lines is :tongue_smilie:.

Thanks for the tip! :001_smile: I might have made that mistake if you hadn't made the distinction.

I understand this completely - I'm also a chronic planner. I have variations of plans through high school for both kids, but I'm completely aware that none of them will be followed in their entirety.

DS started taking CTY courses last year in 5th, and really loves his Arabic class. I'm sure Chinese will be just as great. :001_smile: