Menu

S/O decluttering...why can't I get rid of these rocking chairs?

We have 3 rocking chairs (in bedrooms) that no one EVER sits in. They are used as clothes holders, craft project dryers, stepping stools, fabric bins, trash cans, fort supports, etc.

One is the glider I got with my 1st born and used with all my kids. One came with the baby furniture but is not really comfortable. And one came with this house when we bought it 3 years ago and matches the bunkbeds.

I know they need to go. I can hear them singing "please release us, let us go!" (ala the Flylady.)

:001_unsure:

Take them to the nearest thrift store.

I had my grandma's rocker. I had it for 25 years. I was done with it. I love it when I had it and then I had a child and it took up oodles of space. I never "used" it as it was too uncomfortable. And it took up a lot of space with the rocker legs. I took a picture of it, took it to the thrift store and never, ever missed it.

Just do it. It's freeing. Really.

I have come to realize that I do not have attachment to things. I have an attachment to the memories from those things and you will always have them.

I do not have many keepsakes. Mostly photos

Thank you!

Have you considered donating them to a church for their nursery? Or possibly a women's shelter? Whenever there is something I think I just can't live without, I try to think of who else would be blessed by it.

Wow - fantastic idea!

I took pictures of my boys in the rocking chair I rocked and nursed them in. I put the pictures in their albums and I get to look at it whenever I want. Takes up much less space than the rocker we never used anymore. It only hurt for a little bit after it was gone.

This is what I did with the crib and high chair - I piled all 6 kids (yes, even my 6'2" ds :)) into the crib and took a picture. Then I took individual pictures, then they all gathered 'round the high chair. We put them out on the curb and they were gone in a couple hours. Photos with the rocking chair(s) would be perfect.

If you're like me, you're asking yourself, "if I get rid of these chairs where will I put all my junk?" ;) :P Is there somewhere you can store them for a couple weeks while you get used to the idea of the mnot being there?

Excellent idea. Once we get the garage cleaned out...:lol:

You all are so smart - I knew this was the place to come for help!

I've been slowly getting rid of things that I've held onto for memories. But as another poster mentioned--I will still have my memories. I don't have to have the actual items (CLUTTER) to remind me of those memories.

My mom died a few years ago and I was trying to hang onto everything that I associated with her. It was so freeing to realize that those things are NOT my mother and I'm not going to forget my mother if I get rid of them. In fact, those things actually mad me sad when I would look at them. I would rather look forward-KWIM?

Anyway, I know it is hard, but just wanted to tell you it's really okay to let them go and enjoy the space they will open up :)

I think I'd keep one (probably the glider, if it's comfortable), for the future -- maybe one of your children will want it for his/her babies, or maybe you will want a chair in which to rock your grandbabies or to offer to your daughter/DIL to rock the grandbabies in at your house.

But as for the others, I'd let them go. You could have a chance to bless TWO young mamas who couldn't afford their own rocking chairs! (If the one isn't comfortable, could you add an inexpensive pad or something to help?)

I think I'd keep one (probably the glider, if it's comfortable), for the future -- maybe one of your children will want it for his/her babies, or maybe you will want a chair in which to rock your grandbabies or to offer to your daughter/DIL to rock the grandbabies in at your house.

But as for the others, I'd let them go. You could have a chance to bless TWO young mamas who couldn't afford their own rocking chairs! (If the one isn't comfortable, could you add an inexpensive pad or something to help?)

:iagree: Yes, keep your favorite. I was thinking the same thing, "What about the grandbabies??"

My dh seems to collect rocking chairs. Every time I turn around, he has brought home another one. At last count, we have three downstairs, two in our bedroom, three on our back porch and one in our living room.

It's starting to look like Christmas in Connecticut around here! :lol:

Only two are ever used. The rest have got to go...as soon as possible.

Thanks for the great rehoming ideas!