Menu

Travel: DIY, or Travel Agent?

If you were planning on an extensive trip to a place you've never been...would you go it alone, planning-wise, or find a good travel agent?

I'm really interested in hearing from those who have actually *done* this, either alone or with an agent, and hearing your pros and cons for doing it both ways.

How do you find a *good* travel agent, if you decide to go this route? How do you plan for all the areas (food, lodging, transportation) if you're doing it yourself?

Books and website suggestions would be appreciated, too, but I'm really interested in hearing 'been there, done that' stories, from either perspective.

TIA!

I like using an agent that specializes in the place I'm traveling to, but before I contact the agent I read up on the area myself. This helps me ask pertinent questions and weed out agents who aren't all that. For example, when my dh and I were planning our honeymoon to Jamaica I knew I didn't want the typical, all-inclusive Jamaica holiday, but for most agents that's all they knew. I finally found a dreamy location (Port Antonio) and an agent who knew the perfect place to stay (Trident Villas signs-cloud9.gif)

This was back in the olden days, pre-internet. Now it's even easier for people to research the area they wish to travel to.

I've only ever been out of the country (not counting Canada) once - on our honeymoon to England. My inlaws had a fabulous travel agent, so we planned our trip through her. It was wonderful. We had some day tours, and some days in London, saw a couple of plays, etc.

I guess it depends on what you want your experience to be. *I* would not have wanted to try to drive in London - very narrow streets, people driving very fast, and on the other side of the road? No thanks! I'm sure the locals were thankful we didn't try that, too. Plus, there were day tours available to all kinds of places and it worked out really well. However, if you were going to someplace like London, you could easily spend a week or more in London itself, on foot or using the Metro, and see tons of stuff.

Also, if I were going into a non-English speaking country, I would like a travel agent - because I am a coward, because I don't want to offend anyone, because I don't like being lost....... OK, because I am a coward. :-) But, I want to know where I'm going and feel somewhat confident that the people who will be there when I get there will be able to help me do that.

To find a good travel agent, ask around. Talk to people who travel a lot and see who they use. I don't see why you couldn't use the one in Michigan that my inlaws use, if you'd like me to get her info for you. With e-tickets and such now I would think you could use her with no trouble.

We find that tripadvisor.com is an indispensible resource when trying to plan trips domestically or abroad. I use it primarily to read the traveler reviews of hotels. In fact, I never book a hotel anywhere any more without first reading the tripadvisor reviews. There are also many helpful and experienced travelers populating the tripadvisor forums. And, no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

Usually, we book only our flights and hotels through a local travel agent (we've worked with the same agent for a couple of decades so he knows what our expectations are for an enjoyable trip and he's also good at scrounging around for the best rates). But first I do a lot of research on the internet and raid our local library for travel guides.

The little Berlitz language guides are useful for common phrases when you don't want to devote the time to learn the language of the country you'll be visiting.

...I guess my next question would be, how does one find an agent that specializes in particular places?

I'm guessing that would be a "Google-able" thing, no? :-)

But it does make sense. To use an agent that specializes in the region you're going...but it also makes sense to use an agent that's recommended to you, by someone else. (As mentioned below.)

Hmmm...

Do those of you who use travel agents think you've saved money? Or do you think it's been more cost-effective to go it alone?

Again, having never used a travel agent, I don't know how they get paid; are you paying them a fee for making arrangements, do they have built-in deals with certain providers?

I know that time and energy count for a lot, when you're tallying up 'cost' (simpler to have tours booked for you, or more enjoyable to do things on your own, outside of someone else's schedule), but I'm talking about actual dollars and cents cost.

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far.

We always do all the planning ourselves. If you are thinking about traveling to Europe, I would suggest checking out http://www.ricksteves.com and go from there. We have the same traveling philosophy as he does..."travel through the back door". we like to go to and experience places that others either don't know about or choose not to do because it's not touristy. He visits tourist towns, but gives an abundance of info. on the non-touristy areas of those places. As an example, we backpacked in switzerland this past summer and stayed in the quietest most beautiful village in the alps. The only other people there were locals and other rick steve readers. His travel books are invaluable and FULL of useful information. He has shows on public tv and your library may even carry some. Anyhow, I would check him our if that sounds like you idea of traveling. :)

...that has similar advice on other parts of the world?

I do like his 'style', and I guess I didn't realize that he only did Europe.

The Lonely Planet guides cover most countries in the world and suggest accomodations at the el-cheapo price range to higher. I would say they are books for low budget student travelers as well as middle class travelers who may want more of a cultural experience than just the tourist mill places provide.

Rough Guides are similar.

Libraries usually have books from these series and some content is available on the Internet.

By the way, we did a month long homeschooling loop through Britain using Lonely Planet and Rick Steves.

Jane

I primarily used travel agents back in the Dark Ages, when I traveled for business. But even then, I did some research myself and essentially used the agent for the details. These days, it's even easier to do your own research ~ and the details don't need to be handled by an agent, either. It's so easy ~ and fun ~ to figure things out for yourself. You can of course get lots of firsthand info from people who have btdt, too, either connecting with them in person or online.

I kinda assumed you were referring to something beyond the boundaries of Europe, but if that's what you're thinking, Rick Steves is always handy, as someone else mentioned. Yes, his focus is Europe only ~ smart business, on his part. But he travels outside Europe for his own pleasure, of course, so you can always root around on his site and see if there's any info there for you. (Word of warning: Rick's increasingly wearing his politics on his sleeve. I love it, but I have a hunch you might not be in line with him.)

Happy Planning!

I have worked in the travel business for 25 years as an agent, a college prof and an agency owner. If you are paying for an extensive trip, by all means use a professional. There are a lot of the tricks of the trade, where they can save you, give you ideas and generally address problems that might occur- Good luck- I would also be happy to help you! ;)

My sister is a travel agent for a student travel group - STA. They specialize in student (university) travel and I've been amazed at the tours, etc that exist. Things I can't imagine being able to "pull off" on your own...

They also have really neat family tours that are as simple as Europe and exotic as enviromental travel....

From the prices I've seen a tour is much cheaper than going it alone - the tour companies pay the travel agents and so their services are at no charge to you. I do have a friend who does better through Orbitz, but my sister has always found cheaper fares for me than I could find online.

Now I'm wondering what you think I would disagree with him about, politically?

He's a social activist on several fronts, and I just wouldn't want anyone thinking I oppose housing for single mothers, or something like that. :o)

But I'm also curious about what you assume my political beliefs/affiliations are...because I make a point of not being specific about that, in public.

I know you and I had a disagreement once about the 'rights' of the media to publicize images of dead soldiers, coming home from Iraq, so I'm wondering if you're extending that to...the flag incident?

Please don't read this as antagonistic; since I purposefully avoid revealing my formal political affiliation, I'm simply wondering how someone here would have pieced something together. I'm seriously just curious.

But yes, you're right about it being something beyond Europe, although there are plenty of places that I haven't been, there, and I'd probably need serious guidance about. And, like you, I consider the investigation part of the fun!

This may all just be daydreaming, though. No serious plans to go anywhere, but I appreciate all the input.

...I'm talking about global travel, not within your own country.

And again...not pre-planned tours, visiting family, etc., but starting from scratch, and visiting a place you've never been.

I use a travel agent sometimes to book flights if I'm not familiar with options on that route, but in general I book everything myself. I've been doing it for years though....

For example: we wanted to go to Northern Thailand for a short break. I talked to my travel agent about flights, then also checked online - it turned out there was only one airline that flew that route, so that was easy.

I spent a couple of evenings online, surfing for ideas of where to stay: area and hotel. Once I had decided on a place (and seen lots of reviews at places like Tripadvisor) we booked directly with them. They arranged a car to pick us up from the airport.

That was about it. I already knew that we didn't need visas, but a quick check with the country's website would have fixed that. We don't carry traveller's cheques any more: we pick up cash from a cashpoint at the airport, and use a visa card for most expenses.

Up to this point, we hadn't bought a guidebook. We didn't get one until shortly before the trip, to give us ideas of fun things to do while there.

Do ask if you have any more questions.

Laura

...extends only to North American and European travel.

And all my traveling in Europe was done during years I lived there, so...not the same sort of need for planning, at all. (Although I feel much more comfortable with the idea of doing my own plan-making for Europe than I would somewhere else.)

I'm totally a DIY person when it comes to our travels. But I've planned a crazy amount of trips for our family. Unknowns do not scare me, but I can see how they might.

The internet is just loaded with travel information so it's not hard at all to plan on your own. It's just a ton of work. I just so happen to love (no, obsess over) planning our travels.

Now I'm wondering what you think I would disagree with him about, politically? He's a social activist on several fronts, and I just wouldn't want anyone thinking I oppose housing for single mothers, or something like that. :o)

No, I wasn't thinking of social activism, per se.

I know you and I had a disagreement once about the 'rights' of the media to publicize images of dead soldiers, coming home from Iraq, so I'm wondering if you're extending that to...the flag incident?

I'm not clear on what you're talking about; what flag incident?

Please don't read this as antagonistic; since I purposefully avoid revealing my formal political affiliation, I'm simply wondering how someone here would have pieced something together.

I'm sorry, Jill; I wasn't trying to be presumptuous. I have no idea if you have a "formal political affiliation". I was primarily thinking of Rick's position with regard to the war in Iraq. He has been very vocal in his opposition to America's involvement there . Many would go so far as to say he's expressed vehement anti-Americanism, particularly during the last Presidential election, when he published a special newsletter devoted to this subject. I would venture to say that many people with a military affiliation (no longer, of course, in your case) would not appreciate the tone of his commentary on this subject (even if, perhaps, they appreciate the spirit). I didn't mean to imply that I "pieced together" your political platform.

If you were planning on an extensive trip to a place you've never been...would you go it alone, planning-wise, or find a good travel agent?

I'm really interested in hearing from those who have actually *done* this, either alone or with an agent, and hearing your pros and cons for doing it both ways.

I would definitely go it alone. We've been all over Europe and Asia (and the U.S and eastern Canada), and I love to research, get guide books, and explore the internet. I like Rick Steves, Frommers and Foders. In fact, I'll usually get all 3! :p It's a small price to pay for the most complete information I can get. Rick Steves usually recommends places a little *too* budget-conscious for us, but I like his itineraries and some of his restaurant recommendations have been spot-on.

We prefer apartments over hotels, because we enjoy sinking into the culture, grocery shopping, cooking, and living as much like locals as we can. Our best trip has been a month in Italy, and I put it all together myself. I found a *great* apartment in Florence, and would be happy to give you any website information I can.

Travel is our passion, and if you decide on a locale that I've been to, I'd love to help in any way.

In my opinion it really depends on what country/countries you will be travelling in. Our trips to France, Italy, the UK, The Netherlands, etc we did on our own (but we were living in Europe at the time). However, when we went to Egypt we went through a travel agent.

eta: I would like add that although I like the Lonely Planet guidebooks, I would avoid the website. Some of the recommendations on that website are out there, imo.

Can you please share some details about the apartment in Florence? Thanks! Btw, what do you and your husband do for a living that allows you to travel so much?:)

Ooo, yes. Our apartment was 1100 square feet and had 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. It was multi-level, so it felt even bigger, and had a huge balcony. We found the website in the Economist:

http://www.rentvillas.com/

The apartment we rented was in a residential district just south of the Arno (on the river) and it was an easy walk to all the tourist sites, great neighborhood restaurants/cafes, and grocery markets. Also, we could walk to the train station in less than 20 minutes, and that made travel to Rome, Venice, Cinque Terre, and Pisa a snap. The only time we used a car was when we hired a driver to take us wine tasting in the Tuscan hills. And after seeing those twisty roads, I'm really glad I could relax and not worry about driving! :p

My dh works in global supply chain/logistics, and a lot of our travel is done free through airline mileage and Hilton points. Although of course, that doesn't apply to the apartments. Also, we are lucky in that we have a lot of friends scattered around the globe, and we feel free to leech off them. ;)

Are you able to point me to the specific place you rented? There are many good rental sites like this, but of course the homes and apartments can vary greatly. I'd like to take a look at the place you stayed. I'm hoping to spend some time in Italy the next time we head to Switzerland and I want to have a home base. Thanks!

Are you able to point me to the specific place you rented?

When I go to the website to find it, the apartment we rented is no longer listed. I've sent an email to them asking about it; I'll let you know what they say.

When I picked ours, I looked at all the 4-star and above apartments in the location I wanted. I also poured through all the reviews--the people are good about listing both positive and negative feedback.

On the down side, I can see that prices have gone up in the last couple of years. If I were going again (and how I wish I were!), I'd check out this one:

http://www.rentvillas.com/PropertyReviews.aspx?Catalog=12474

Or:

http://www.rentvillas.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?Catalog=2499

These are both big enough for 6--I assume you are all going. Of course, if you only needed a place big enough for 2 or 4, it would be cheaper.

I'll let you know what I hear back about the apartment we rented. I can see that they had priced it for 2008, but since it's not listed now perhaps the owner sold it or took it off the rental market for some reason.

Are you able to point me to the specific place you rented? There are many good rental sites like this, but of course the homes and apartments can vary greatly. I'd like to take a look at the place you stayed. I'm hoping to spend some time in Italy the next time we head to Switzerland and I want to have a home base. Thanks!

I found the apartment we rented, and the price is about the same. We loved this place--I can see by the photos that they've updated the furnishings a bit. The neighborhood is great, and there is a playground not too far away if the kids want to burn off some energy. Here's the link:

http://www.windowsonitaly.com/firenzecitt/oltrarno/buonarroticav/welcome_eng.php

Windows on Italy owned the apartment when we were there also, but they contracted through rentvillas.com to lease it to Americans. It looks like you can now do it yourself directly with Windows on Italy.

Thanks so much! I love what I see of the place you stayed. I've bookmarked it for future reference. I should start sketching out some details in my mind. We're notorious for taking trips on a moment's notice but if I plan to do an Italian side-trip, I'll need to do some advance planning. Glad to have the good word on this rental!

For a trip to China-- we had an insider with the Chinese government helping us. She used a local agent who made hotel reservations and in-country airline tix purchases for us. She set us up with a tour guide and driver for one day each in Beijing and Xi'an. The rest we did ourselves; we learned how to wave down a taxi and manuever on the subway. We purchased our plane tix through a Houston agency which specializes in travel to China and other Asian countries. They watch the deals that are released every day, and we had to hop on it when she found cheap tix. I was very glad to have help -- China was so different, and we were novice travelers (having been to Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, and Bahamas did not make us "old hands")

Two years later, we completely planned a trip to Europe on our own. We started out using a travel agent (who found us GREAT cheap tix through British Air), but then kind of fumbled everything else. She was recommending hotels which weren't near anything and really expensive tours -- we had specifically told her we weren't "shuffle on the bus" types. So we took the tix, and said no to everything else. Trip Advisor helped us with fantastic hotels and we learned the subway/ train systems in Athens, Rome, and London. We took a taxi only twice during the entire trip - from the train station in Corinth to the ancient site of Corinth and back. We relied on Rick Steves in Rome and London, and Lonely Planet in Athens. We aren't seasoned, but we are adventurous!

Something that may help you decide -- your kids. We have only one, 9 when we went to China, 12 when we went to Europe. He was a little apprehensive about China, so we were glad to have the "backup" of help with a tour guide etc. That greatly calmed his fears.By Europe he knew we could handle ourselves if we got into language troubles, and was much more at ease.