Menu

? for those who take stimulant meds for ADD

Do you have to have random urine tests to make sure you are taking your meds? I've been on Adderall xr for years and have never had to have a urine test. My doc says she has to start doing random urinalysis now.

I'm just curious about this. To stretch my meds because they cost so much, I sometimes take 1/2 a capsule until we can afford the next rx or I skip a day if I don't "need" my meds.

Is it because people are selling them after they receive a prescription? That's a big problem in my state. Prescription drug abuse is huge.

I don't take ADD medications. Just throwing that out there. The bad people wreck it for everyone. :(

I'm sure that's why.

I'm not sure how that would work. I don't take stimulant meds, but my dd takes Vyvannse. It was recommended by our doctor that she NOT take it every day - to try to find a day or two during the week or weekend that she could take a break from it. :confused:

Wow- it must be due to selling it, but my Ds has a 30 day script that usually lasts almost twice that. He doesn't take it weekends, usually not Fridays (a lighter school day, I front load the reading which he struggles with to other days), or holidays. Or if he isn't feeling well, I won't give it to him. No one has questioned this before?

I wonder if they will start....:001_huh:

I'm not sure how that would work. I don't take stimulant meds, but my dd takes Vyvannse. It was recommended by our doctor that she NOT take it every day - to try to find a day or two during the week or weekend that she could take a break from it. :confused:

Some medications are still clearing from your system for a few days. There may not be theraputic levels, but there will still be a trace.

Some medications are still clearing from your system for a few days. There may not be theraputic levels, but there will still be a trace.

I understand. I guess it just makes me say "hmm?" because her doctor is an advocate of abstaining from the meds when at all possible - if that means a week (or even two) while she's at grandma's during the summer, cool beans, as far as the doctor is concerned. At least as far as children, he isn't one to push stimulant medication *when* it isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary... and he isn't the only one; her past peds have had the same take. I just wonder how this would work if she had to pass random urine tests. If she's having a hard time sleeping - take a (prolonged) break for the meds; not eating much? "Take a break"; doesn't have anything that needs her total focus for a day, a few days, a week - don't give her the meds. It's a pretty hefty medication... not one to take when it isn't needed.

Edited by AimeeM

Many (most?) state medical boards consider drug testing part of responsible prescribing of controlled substances. This helps reduce prescription diversion. It also helps identify patients who may be mixing their prescribed medications with other controlled substances (legal or not).

Although not a psychiatrist, it is my understanding that if you have hyperactive ADHD the recommendation now is one of moving away from drug holidays because medication is geared just as much at reducing the impulse issues that may lead to risky behavior (including substance abuse) as to improving school performance. Those with inattentive forms will often do well with a non stimulant medication which is not a controlled substance.

As part of my dd's workup to find out why she faints over and over and over again, the sleep doctor did a drug urine panel. It was totally clean though she takes both Vyvanse and Methylphenidate. Then she had a sleep study and they saw her take the medications and still the urine tests were clean. WE don't understand it since the medications clearly work for dd and the doctors can observe them working on her and also what she is like without them. If anyone required the testing for her for monitoring purposes, I guess they would have to do blood testing.

As part of my dd's workup to find out why she faints over and over and over again, the sleep doctor did a drug urine panel. It was totally clean though she takes both Vyvanse and Methylphenidate. Then she had a sleep study and they saw her take the medications and still the urine tests were clean. WE don't understand it since the medications clearly work for dd and the doctors can observe them working on her and also what she is like without them. If anyone required the testing for her for monitoring purposes, I guess they would have to do blood testing.

You can also do GC/MS confirmatory and quantitative testing of urine samples that is much more reliable.

Hmmm... I haven't heard of that. Also, are you allowed to half your meds? It must not be a sustained release one then. We can't split our pills. (ADHD and concerta) I would see if that's legal... (mandating that you're tested)

I take adderall xr, the little balls in it are time released not the capsule that's why I can open them and just take half.

Although not a psychiatrist, it is my understanding that if you have hyperactive ADHD the recommendation now is one of moving away from drug holidays because medication is geared just as much at reducing the impulse issues that may lead to risky behavior (including substance abuse) as to improving school performance. Those with inattentive forms will often do well with a non stimulant medication which is not a controlled substance.

And for those inattentive who have not seen any benefit with non stimulants, what then? Especially those for wome drug holidays are must due to weight and growth issues. :confused: