Menu

s/o Picture Books

What are some of your favorite or most memorable picture books for older kids? I want to get some nice ones for my older kids. I'm not necessarily looking to buy a whole bunch just because they're pretty, although I'd like a few, but rather I'm looking for nice conversation starting ones for upper elementary ages to check out from the library.

:bigear:

I find All Those Secrets of The World particularly haunting and lovely.

All the Chris Van Allsburg books are fantastic. They have great stories and terrific art, and always have a great "twist" and surprise in the stories.

His art is so intriguing that some very famous authors once wrote a book BASED on one of his picture books! Each took a picture and wrote a short story around it. I got both books for dd for Christmas last year. :001_smile::001_smile:

All the Chris Van Allsburg books are fantastic. They have great stories and terrific art, and always have a great "twist" and surprise in the stories.

:iagree: I don't remember elementary school all that well, but I distinctly remember The Mysteries of Harris Burdick and several other books by Chris Van Allsburg. I have picked some up for my kids at the library, and except for maybe The Polar Express, I thought they were written for much older kids, so I'm setting them aside for now. But they are favorites from my childhood!

Thank you for sharing!

I thought I'd add a few that we already like:

The Composition- Antonio Skarmeta

Saint George and the Dragon- Margaret Hodges

Journal of Inventions- Jaspre Bark

I ordered this one last week for Halloween. I can't wait to show my DS who is a huge Poe fan, but I haven't actually seen it myself yet.

Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mysteries and Madness- Edgar Allan Poe and Gris Grimly