Menu

Pregnancy and homeschooling...

It has been a really long time since I've been here. I am pregnant with sticky baby #3 (total pregnancies, now at least 10, but I stopped testing unless more than 5.5 weeks pregnant because I lose almost all mine before then :sad: ), and even at nearly 13 weeks, I am still exhausted and nauseated. Whew! This is a lot rougher than before!

I am still trying to get my daughter to be an independent reader before I have this one and get her well into math so that it's routine. And my son is now 95% independent in everything, but if I fall over in the middle of the day, there is only a 50% chance than he will do all his work without the occasional redirection, so we are losing some time there.

I am not completely miserable, but I would still say that I am quite rough around the edges. What management strategies did you guys use to make pregnancy work? :D

I keep falling ASLEEP! Lol.
No advice from me about homeschooling through pregnancy, but just empathy about the sleepiness factor.

When I was pregnant with my first, I could NOT stay awake sometimes. It was like a brick landing on my brain. The hormones shut my brain OFF.

:grouphug:

I hear ya! I was soooo tired first trimester this time! Did a lot of school in my bed, with picture books and chapter books all around the master bedroom floor by the end of the day. Tried to get 'education' movies, but you know;), watched fun ones, too. I just kept trying to slug through and eventually some of the fog lifted around 2nd tri.

Very best wishes!

ETA: I also found there were times I could work in two-hour shifts. Get something done, nap/rest for 1 hour, get things done, lay down for 1/2 hour, lunchtime, naps, get something done. I even have to do that somewhat now because being horizontal at some point during the day really helps me make it physically to dinner/bedtime.

I'm in my 3rd trimester with #5 and we're definitely getting started a bit later in the mornings than we used to, I just need more rest. I usually sit on the couch, or in the rocker if we're downstairs, and the kids work at the table either in the dining room or the homeschool tables down in the family room. I try to alternate so one is doing something more independent while I work one-on-one with the other. We'll sit curled up together on the couch for grammar (FLL with DS1), reading and history. Whenever they start a new subject they come over and we talk about what they need to do then they go back to the table, coming back if they need help.

DD1 (6) is still not an independent reader, but I'm just concentrating on reading, writing and math with her. Poor DS1 was the experiment in all the grades, so things are a bit more streamlined by the time the other kids come along. There are days that we only get a couple subjects done and I just roll with it. We school year round so I don't have to get stressed out about missing a day because I'm really exhausted, plus I know we'll have a couple weeks off when the baby comes followed by a few more really light weeks.

Well as one who has sever nausea until 20 something weeks and the only real relief is sleep, my only real method was do what I could and not worry about what didn't get done. When I was falling asleep at the drop of a hat my only really goal for the day was to keep the house somewhat intact, the kids fed, and take care of myself. So when I feel asleep on the couch, I didn't worry about them sneaking off and playing so long as they were quiet. If they fought. bickered, whined etc and woke me up they knew they would be going straight back to school work. They learned to be quiet, I'd sleep for an hour and then we get back to work. Otherwise, I was tired and groggy for hours on end and nothing really got accomplished that way. It was better to just get the sleep over with than try to fight it. Sure we didn't get everything done but it's okay, as long as we keep plugging along they are learning something and for now that is the best we can do.

It has been a really long time since I've been here. I am pregnant with sticky baby #3 (total pregnancies, now at least 10, but I stopped testing unless more than 5.5 weeks pregnant because I lose almost all mine before then :sad: ), and even at nearly 13 weeks, I am still exhausted and nauseated. Whew! This is a lot rougher than before!

I am still trying to get my daughter to be an independent reader before I have this one and get her well into math so that it's routine. And my son is now 95% independent in everything, but if I fall over in the middle of the day, there is only a 50% chance than he will do all his work without the occasional redirection, so we are losing some time there.

I am not completely miserable, but I would still say that I am quite rough around the edges. What management strategies did you guys use to make pregnancy work? :D

:grouphug: Nausea/morning sickness in the first trimester is usually a good sign that things are going well. How far along are you? I was wondering where you've been.

I am 39 weeks with my 4th and I can totally sympathize :lol: I do mainly montessori so a lot of what we do is independent from a young age minus the initial presentations and me hanging out observing while he works. My second son is only 3.5 and he is "ready" mentally for some work like learning letter sounds and beginning mathematics but for the sake of sanity I have out it more to the side right now because I do not want to put too much onto my plate or his plate with all that comes with a new baby in the house. I think the best advice I can give is do as much as YOU can handle and then fill the rest with fun learning that can be more independent. With your 4yo you could try reading eggs for days when mama needs to nap or dreambox math. Try getting run workbooks like the school zone mazes that are fun for kiddos and can be done independently. That way they are working on academic type things but you are getting a break at the same time. Then when baby comes and you catch up on your sleep you can work on getting back into a grove more because it is WAY easier to homeschool with a newborn around then being preggo :tongue_smilie: newborns kind of just chill out or can be worn while you work.

HTH!

:grouphug:

Deep Sympathy for all of your losses.

No real advice, except to try to rest, nap, and take care of yourself as much as possible. You sound fragile, and need to not feel guilty at all about sitting and resting alot with your feet up.

BTW I love my chaise lounge!

Let go of strenuous cleaning, and ask for help!

My older two kids are pretty far ahead like yours. It is nice to not have to worry about falling behind. When life happens, and it always does, I don't worry too much about school. Typically, I lighten our load, leaving enough school work in their day to keep them from fighting out of boredom. If needed, I'll skip school altogether and give them an art project or something fun like that to work on.

So nap when you need to nap. Rest when you need to rest. Take care of yourself and the baby and let school slide a bit.