Menu

AWANA question

My son is an AWANA K'er. We study through the book during the week and he says the verses at church.

Last week, though, he had signed off three more sections than we went through during the week. 1 was review. Okay, I see that. But the other two were entirely new. And when I quiz him on them now, he has no idea what the verse says! Sure, someone can quote the verse to him and he can parrot it back right away. But he isn't learning it and we hadn't read over the section/studied it together at all.

Should I just retrain my kid on these sections and go or should I let the Sparkies director know my concern about this?

My son is an AWANA K'er. We study through the book during the week and he says the verses at church.

Last week, though, he had signed off three more sections than we went through during the week. 1 was review. Okay, I see that. But the other two were entirely new. And when I quiz him on them now, he has no idea what the verse says! Sure, someone can quote the verse to him and he can parrot it back right away. But he isn't learning it and we hadn't read over the section/studied it together at all.

Should I just retrain my kid on these sections and go or should I let the Sparkies director know my concern about this?

You could ask, maybe they signed the wrong book.

That always bugs me. They have some study time during club, so perhaps someone worked with him there and then he could say the verses. However, you're right, it's just going into his short term memory. I'd speak to the leader or the director. Unfortunately, many parents don't put in as much time as others, so the leaders are always trying to keep the kids moving. Personally, I wish there wasn't such a push to get them through the books so fast. I know their hearts are in the right places, but don't we want these little ones to really know the scriptures? I'd mention your concerns, definitely.

Can I ask a follow up question on here? I also have an awana k'er. He typically learns two verses a week. And, man, we work HARD for him to learn two verses. His older sister can easily learn 4-6 a week on her own.

One of the workers gave me sort of a hard time about him only learning two verses. What is an acceptable/typical pace for a 5 year old?

Can I ask a follow up question on here? I also have an awana k'er. He typically learns two verses a week. And, man, we work HARD for him to learn two verses. His older sister can easily learn 4-6 a week on her own.

One of the workers gave me sort of a hard time about him only learning two verses. What is an acceptable/typical pace for a 5 year old?

I think one is enough for a K'er!

I think two verses a week is good. You have to find that pace that will allow them to finish their book, but still be able to recall verses. Some kids can remember and recite SEVERAL per week (like 10, no joke), while for some, one is a struggle. Has the person who gave you a hard time always worked with the younger ones? It's such a big jump from Cubbies. My k'er still won't participate in game time! Just go with what your child can do. You certainly don't want to turn it into something unpleasant by trying to keep up with what someone else thinks you should do.

When my son was in Awana he memorized his verses. So did one other child in his group. All the rest either parroted them back or even read them over the shoulders of the teachers. I thought it sad in that those kids didn't really memorize a single verse. I'm sure not all programs/teachers are like his were. I'd assume most aren't. It's more likely someone worked with him there and he was able to say it at the time though it didn't stick in his long term memory.

I would possibly speak to his teachers to let them know you want to work on the verses at home and stick to just those perhaps. I probably woudn't go back in the book. He can get the not truly learned verses at review.

Edited by sbgrace

From what I've seen (which was visiting once with my daughter), the kids are assigned a verse and as soon as they can repeat it back without looking, it's marked off.

Just my piddly experience one time, so take it for what it is.

This is not an accurate assessment of AWANA. They kids have a handbook to work with at home. They study/memorize a section in the book each week. This may include answering questions, reading passages, and memory work. The verses are reviewed again in later sections or later books. They do want to make sure it is memorized.

A few years ago, my husband and I were directors of Sparks and T&T. When we first started out club was the same way. DH used to get SOOOOO frustrated. He was very insistent with the kids - You know the verse when you come into the room or no credit. Kids would come in an thrust their books at him and say, "Test me now!!!!" He would always take their books, and start chatting with them about their week. Of course, he would talk long enough for the crammed verse to flow right out of short term memory! He refused to sign a book if the kids didn't know the verse. It only took a few weeks (and a few disgruntled parents) before people got on board. Unfortunately, there were some kids who didn't finish their book.

When we moved to Alaska 2 years ago, the program is the same - cram during the meeting and check off the verse. they would do Super Saturday every quarter to make sure the kids were on target for finishing. But, of course, it doesn't stay with them. We got so frustrated we finally quit. Our kids memorize toms of verses on their own. In fact, ds 11 can still recite all of the verses from his 6 Sparks books (3 handbooks and 3 activity books- he wanted to earn the Sparks pins so he was super motivated!)

Long answer to say - If your frustrated by it, speak to your director. There are some who will agree with you. On the other hand, don't be surprised if nothing changes. It seems to me that most people just give in and sign the book!

Here is my experience as a leader.

We have no clue how many verses your kiddo has learned, and we many many kids whose parents don't study with them so they come with nothing. We do a fair amount of "passing them along." Otherwise they have nothing to buy on store night and feel sad their friends have verses to say when they don't. These are 5-6yo kids, and we feel that it is most important that they just come, hear about the love of God, have fun, etc. The goal is not for it to be rigorous.

Back to my point. We are sitting there with your child asking, "Do you know this one?" And if they say they do, even if they stumble through it, they get marked off. We are just volunteer parents, not gestapos. We are not here to call your could a liar. If he says he knows it, we help him through and move on to the next child.

Edited by ~*Beatrix*~

To get through the book in a year (which is the goal so they can go on to the new book in 1st grade), a K student needs to say at least 1 section a week, and 2 sections some of the weeks. So if your kid is saying 2 sections a week, they are progressing adequately through the book. What did the worker say to you?

One of the challenges in our group is that some leaders are "easier" on the kids than others. I've had kids come home with multiple sections they hadn't learned signed off before. I've mostly left it, but have casually commented to the director or leaders if I know who they are that I don't think my guy actually learned those verses. Other leaders occasionally don't want to give even 2 helps. For my fellows that's okay, but some kids who have a hard time memorizing get discouraged.

Personally, I do a few seconds of small talk before letting them say verses, so they have to know it better. I also try to know which kids can do well, and those that struggle. I'm much easier on the slower kids. For a few, I'm happy if they can kind of get it out and more importantly have some idea what it means. For others, it should be word perfect with no or few pauses.

If 2 verses per week seems to be your ds's pace, I wouldn't push him too hard. AWANA is supposed to be fun, not a painful experience. If he doesn't get his book done, there's always next year.

If 2 verses per week seems to be your ds's pace, I wouldn't push him too hard. AWANA is supposed to be fun, not a painful experience. If he doesn't get his book done, there's always next year.

Yes. But it is hard to be the older kid in the younger book. We've got some 2nd graders in 1st and 2nd books and we try not to make a big deal about it, but the kids still know. As a club, we try to get every kid who makes an effort and attends to get through the book in a year so they don't have to be the kid that is behind next year.

My K student can naturally memorize and say 2-3 sections a week. That seems to be the pace we are able to do, and it means that if one week is busier and we don't get to it, its not a catastrophe. But it does mean when he comes home with 6 sections signed off, I get alarmed. i think, for now, I'm going to just reteach at home and not make a big deal at club though. If it happens again I'll talk to the leader in question. i don't want her getting discouraged. She reminds me a lot of myself, when I first started working in children's ministry and I even wonder if I might have been the same -- not realizing the importance of reading the book sections/Bible portions involved as well as learning the verses.

To get through the book in a year (which is the goal so they can go on to the new book in 1st grade), a K student needs to say at least 1 section a week, and 2 sections some of the weeks. So if your kid is saying 2 sections a week, they are progressing adequately through the book. What did the worker say to you?

She asked me how many verses he had learned and I said two. She acted *really* surprised that it was only two. I asked if there was a certain number we needed to do. Then she kind of backpedaled and said two was fine... but was the bare minimum he should be doing. I told her we were working really hard to get two a week. She seemed to think he was just unmotivated to practice for jewels.

He tried to do three this week. He worked super hard and we still aren't even done with verse 2. I'm unwilling to work on Awana's verses for more than 20 minutes a day.

I don't totally get the book thing. This is our first year to do it, so my second grader is on the first book... but she will finish it in the next week or so. Are the next books harder? If we don't get through book 1 this year, is it possible DS could catch up more in first grade and finish this book and another?

He is learning the verses really well. But, he is a sensitive kid and I have to be very careful about pushing him or he shuts down completely.

She asked me how many verses he had learned and I said two. She acted *really* surprised that it was only two. I asked if there was a certain number we needed to do. Then she kind of backpedaled and said two was fine... but was the bare minimum he should be doing. I told her we were working really hard to get two a week. She seemed to think he was just unmotivated to practice for jewels.

He tried to do three this week. He worked super hard and we still aren't even done with verse 2. I'm unwilling to work on Awana's verses for more than 20 minutes a day.

I don't totally get the book thing. This is our first year to do it, so my second grader is on the first book... but she will finish it in the next week or so. Are the next books harder? If we don't get through book 1 this year, is it possible DS could catch up more in first grade and finish this book and another?

He is learning the verses really well. But, he is a sensitive kid and I have to be very careful about pushing him or he shuts down completely.

As the kids get older, they do expect more out of them. The verses in the sections in the older books tend to be longer. And occasionally you'll have a section with more than one verse in them. The 1st grade book has you learning all of Psalms 23 -- first over 3 sections, and finally saying the whole book together.

They also review in the later books stuff that happened in the previous. As well as the review verses within the book itself (You have come across at least one of these already I believe?) By second grade, there are sections where the children have to review 4 or 5 non-contiguous verses in one section (such as I Jn 4:15, Romans 5:8, Matt 28:6, and I Jn 5:12 all at once at the end of Green Jewel 2. Even though these are review verses, it can be somewhat difficult for our 2nd graders and takes work.

As for that worker -- do they have kids of their own in AWANA? They may just know what the kids in the club are doing. I am finding it to be very different to be an AWANA mom with a child in Sparks than when I was a Sparks leader. Things I used to think "That kid should be old enough by now..." I'm finding NOT to be the case at all!

You know your kids limits. If he can do 2 sections a week, he's going to be fine finishing the book. If you go to the AWANA website, they will email you parent helps by the month and you will see that most weeks, in Hangglider, they are expecting only 1 verse of progress. They give ideas for different ways to help the child both learn the verse and take it to heart.

Look up PowerUp Sparks Bookwalks:

http://awana.org/powerupsparksbookwalks/powerup-sparks-bookwalks,default,pg.html

ETA: About the book thing. Since your 2nd grader just started this year, they will be allowed to go on to the 2nd book when they finish this first one, and then on to the 3rd book if they should happen to finish the 2nd. Its fantastic the 2nd grader is proceeding so rapidly! A kindergarten who finishes the book before the end of the year will be given review verses to memorize (either a special review packet that AWANAs makes, or going back through their book and saying again the verses that have "review" markings next to them -- except no helps are allowed on the Review pass. Which option is chosen I guess depends on how the club runs things) So you are never allowed to outrun past where you are "supposed" to be but children that start late/are behind at the beginning of a year are allowed to catch up to where they should be. It is well recognized that kids mature at different rates. A kid that struggles in K might blossom in 1st grade and be able to quickly catch up. Or might even just have learned their verses better/more permanently and thus be able to get through the review sections faster later on and use that to "close the gap" with kids that were farther ahead to begin with.

Edited by vonfirmath

ETA: About the book thing. Since your 2nd grader just started this year, they will be allowed to go on to the 2nd book when they finish this first one, and then on to the 3rd book if they should happen to finish the 2nd. Its fantastic the 2nd grader is proceeding so rapidly! A kindergarten who finishes the book before the end of the year will be given review verses to memorize (either a special review packet that AWANAs makes, or going back through their book and saying again the verses that have "review" markings next to them -- except no helps are allowed on the Review pass. Which option is chosen I guess depends on how the club runs things) So you are never allowed to outrun past where you are "supposed" to be but children that start late/are behind at the beginning of a year are allowed to catch up to where they should be. It is well recognized that kids mature at different rates. A kid that struggles in K might blossom in 1st grade and be able to quickly catch up. Or might even just have learned their verses better/more permanently and thus be able to get through the review sections faster later on and use that to "close the gap" with kids that were farther ahead to begin with.

Thanks for the input and explanations. My oldest wants to go through all 3 books this year. I'm not sure if she'll be able to accomplish that, though. She is a rock star at memorizing. She will sit by herself with the book for 5 minutes a day and easily learn 5 verses. I try to push her to learn a couple more just so she's actually putting effort into it.

I guess that is why I feel sensitive about my k'er. His older sister barely tries and may know two full sections of verses (8 maybe?). He works hard all week for two. He is a young k'er too... He's smart... just not very quick at memory work.

Can you make an audio recording of the verses and have him listen/practice in the car? I also often put copies of memory work on the back of the seat of the car so my DD has it right in front of her in the car seat, and I have her say it each time we get in the car.

We do say them in the car some. We used to listen to memory work for CC in the car a lot... but, now we listen to a lot of mumford and sons in the car. Memory work... good music... which is better to expose our kids to? :tongue_smilie: