Menu

Why would one hand become shaky?

I've noticed that my left (dominant) hand is sometimes shaky. For instance, I can't really use it for the touchscreen on my tablet, because it will shake just enough that I'll hit the wrong keys. I notice it several times a day now. What's up with that? :confused:

ETA: The arm is feeling weak too, now that I think about it.

Edited by Julie in CA

Could it be overuse? If you are repeating the same action over and over your arm might be worn out. A pinched nerve from poor form while performing certain tasks could also be the problem. A physical therapist should be able to help you in one or two sessions once an MD makes a diagnosis. I hope it resolves soon!

it could be nerves. Your body could be reacting to all of the stress that you have been under. The weak arm and shaky hand suggests a panic/stress issue. I'm only saying this because I've been there, and I know you have been handling a lot of stress.

You could also experience full blown panic attacks, weakness in your legs, and general joint pain, as well as a host of other issues.

You should see a doctor. :grouphug:

Because you're going to be the mother of the groom?

Are you taking any medications where that might be a side effect?

Stress can do funky things to our bodies as well. I wouldn't discount that.

My ds has shaky hands, they get worse with stress or caffeine overload.

I think it's possible that it is a stress reaction. During the moments when I am the most upset, the shaking is more obvious.

Magnesium might also help. It seems like a couple of years ago I had some other symptoms which might indicate a need for more magnesium, but I can't remember what those symptoms were. Doesn't seem like it could hurt to try that. :001_smile:

I agree with a PP about checking with a neuro to rule out anything serious. My right hand started shaking slightly when I was 30 and, since I see a neuro for migraines regularly, I asked about it. Mine is essential tremor. Now, at 37, my right hand shakes very badly and my handwriting is nearly illegible, eating with that hand is difficult. I'm also starting to notice a slight tremor in my left hand.

When I'm not pregnant I'm usually on preventive medications to help with my chronic daily migraine. We try to select medications that will also help my tremor since it is starting to make routine daily functions difficult.

I was experience some similar symptoms a couple of years ago: weak, hands trembling, muscle twitching, extreme paresthesia and even partial paralysis in my face. It was only getting worse and worse. I had a full work up with a neurologist and it turned up nothing. In the end I had to figure out on my own that those symptoms were possibly from the medication I was taking. I slowly weaned off and my symptoms left.

It still really bothers me that out of the 5 care providers I was seeing at the time including the one who prescribed the med I was the only one who could be bothered to look up rare side effects of that med. I asked and no one said it could be the med. The one who prescribed it was instead suggesting a possible diagnosis of some sort of psychosomatic disorder. Yep, she told me it was possible that I was actually making it all happen to myself. I even believed it for a while.

So I always wonder about medication before jumping to some potential scary diagnosis. But I think a visit to a neurologist would still be worth it to rule out anything.