Menu

Oh Dr. Hive?

DS17 showed me his finger when I got back from gymnastics with dd6. It was all swollen really strange like. But swollen...

He also said that he has a really hard shooting pain down his right arm (same as the swollen finger).

He just came back through talking about the pain being so bad.

No other new symptoms....no known precipitating event...

Any ideas?

ETA: He keeps sighing and saying "oh God" (I can hear him from another room).

He also said that "it's weird; when I close my hand like a fist, it makes my hand [palm] itch."

I told him that was a good thing for me to tell the Hive :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

Any cuts/skin breaks? Can he bend it? I'd probably ice and ibuprofen it overnight and take him to doc if it's not improving by morning. If it's broken, setting it will be easier once the swelling's under control. If bending it hurts or from how it looks you think it might be broken, immobilizing/shielding it might also be prudent.

It wasn't swollen before supper...He initially told me about 3 hours ago.

He took some pain reliever earlier and has now put an ice pack on his shoulder

(he was rubbing there when I was in his room so that is where I told him to put it

though he says the pain radiates down his whole arm). He has asked for morphine. Obviously I don't have that.

He said he couldn't find any bite. But I'll have him ice the swelling also.

How are your ers?
I would be considering this. A shooting pain in his arm?

Infection?

Spider bites can be terribly tiny.

Too much time on the computer?

It sounds serious to me. When it is not a big deal for you to get to the ER, then you go, if it seems to be getting worse and not affected by ice pack or ibuprofen, etc. If it is a big deal, I'd still go.

Is the swollen finger red? Does the skin look shiny? Or is it peeling? is it hot to the touch? is there a red streak? Is there a place on the finger that is more swollen than the whole? Is the whole finger swollen?

Pain can transfer - ie: the shoulder pain may only be caused by the finger.

Yes to all of this, especially the shininess and streaking. I think I would probably go in for this, either to urgent care if you have it or the ER. I keep hearing more and more stories about cellulitis all of a sudden, and a whole digit swollen would scare me. :grouphug: to all of you. I hope you can resolve it somehow and make him more comfortable!

Yes to all of this, especially the shininess and streaking. I think I would probably go in for this, either to urgent care if you have it or the ER. I keep hearing more and more stories about cellulitis all of a sudden, and a whole digit swollen would scare me. :grouphug: to all of you. I hope you can resolve it somehow and make him more comfortable!

I'm concerned that it's cellulitis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001858/

I'd want it to be checked out.

Take him in, asap.