Menu

Kittens question, after being fixed

How much do I need to worry about them. I was told to keep them all separated from each other and inactive. That's not working well at all. They scream and cry non-stop when separated. And inactive? If alone in the smallest bathroom they still do flips and twist and jump. Is there any way to really keep them inactive? And I. Assuming the separation was supposed to help with keeping them calm?

The kittens I have had in the past know their limitations. The brother and sister I had a couple of years ago, brother got fixed first and even though they were supposed to be separated they really weren't they hid together under the bed for a day. After that he just did what he wanted to do. I guess he felt fine and we had no issues. When sister got fixed, they stayed under the bed together for 2 days. When they emerged, sister did whatever she wanted.

My latest kitty laid around for a day. On the second day, she was hesitant to jump onto the couch and by the third day she was her usual self.

they will be fine. Declaw procedures require more rest and inactivity, but spay/neuter on a young kitten isn't a huge deal. Remember, trap neuter release programs spay/neuter and then release them back outdoors the same day.

:iagree: I've never had much luck keeping kittens "inactive"! I always think if they're playing, they're fine.

I have had 10 kittens spayed or neutered over the last 20 years and never kept them confined or seperated. The only problem ever was one of our first kittens from 20 years ago got a swollen belly. The vet put a needle in her and sucked out liquid and she was fine. The swollen belly was very obvious and I knew she needed to go to the vet to get it fixed.

I kept ours confined to one bedroom for 48 hours to let the incision set, but she was a very crazy one, and I gave her shredded paper for litter so nothing would work into the incision.

The vet sent her home with a "cone of shame" and that was removed immediately; I have never seen a cat wear one before, and after watching her for a minute, decided she would do more damage in the attempt to remove it than by not wearing it.

Just check the incision now and then to make sure no stitches popped and nothing is red, hot, lumpy, or oozing; minimized handling, and relax, everything will probably be fine.