Menu

Skinny jeans for a non-skinny body?

I would love to have a pair of skinny jeans to wear with my cowboy boots, to show them off. I also have some cute black suede boots with fleecy fold-down tops that would look cute with skinny jeans tucked in. (I normally wear boot cut.) The problem is, I am not skinny. I wear size 14 jeans. Will I look terrible in skinny jeans? Am I too old (45) for them?

Wendi

Skinny jeans seem to look better on certain body types. My oldest dd looks great in them, my younger dd doesn't look as great. :001_smile: My oldest has a fuller figure all around.

The only way you'll know is to go try a pair on. If you can, bring a friend who will give an honest opinion. And remember to try the whole outfit. Get the correct type of shirt and have your boots or flats so you can see how it looks.

I'm 45, a smidge bigger than you, and pear shaped with short legs. I'm opting out of the skinny jean thing. Instead, I'm looking at black leggings with a thickness like yoga pants for my high top boots.

It probably depends, I would do like suggested and try some on and take a friend, or the camera, and do a real self check. I don't think age is the indicator, it's body type. If you have generally leaner legs it might work.

Due to age and body structure, I'm making sure anything that has a fitted leg is matched with a longer top, like a tunic top and longer sweater. IOW anything must at least come to mid-thigh-ish.

Well, I'm a smaller girl with serious child-birthing hips and I refuse to wear skinny jeans. However, I do enjoy tucking my jeans into my boots. I really like my Old Navy Sweetheart jeans for that purpose. They are fitted more closely to my calves, which make them easy to tuck into boots. Look for straight-cut jeans or jeans that are tighter around the calves.

I'm 45, a smidge bigger than you, and pear shaped with short legs. I'm opting out of the skinny jean thing. Instead, I'm looking at black leggings with a thickness like yoga pants for my high top boots.

It probably depends, I would do like suggested and try some on and take a friend, or the camera, and do a real self check. I don't think age is the indicator, it's body type. If you have generally leaner legs it might work.

Due to age and body structure, I'm making sure anything that has a fitted leg is matched with a longer top, like a tunic top and longer sweater. IOW anything must at least come to mid-thigh-ish.

:iagree: Except my legs aren't short. I'm definitely pear, a size somewhere between 14 and 16, and 43.

Any suggestions on good places to find longer shirts and sweaters?

Here are some to try that look decent on a larger than you figure. JAG or Not Your Daughter's Jeans in women's sizes. Both have fairly high but non gapping and non Momish waists, so they help avoid the whole muffin top thing. Buy a very dark blue or flat black for best results. Both available at Nordstrom in the Encore section. Once you figure out what you like, look for them at the Nordstrom Rack for far better prices. They are amazing, I never thought I could look decent in jeans again, let alone skinny ones.

I am also a size 14 (after losing 125 pounds) and as I've been going down in sizes I was buying a specific brand of jeans because they have them in "short". But, the thighs/legs in them are so wide that I look ridiculous in them now. So, my dd talked me into trying on a pair of Levi Skinny jeans (they also come in "short") and the legs fit SO much better that they make the whole jeans look better on me. And, I'm older than you. So, I say go try on a couple of different brands and see what you think. You won't know until you try them. Also, no need to wear longer tops if they fit well. If I wear a longer top, it makes me look dumpier.