Menu

Would you start a Kinder on WWE1?

My Kinder Kid (young 5 years old) really wants to do WWE. So much so that he listens to my ds's WWE lesson and it's all I can do to get him to "hush" to give my oldest a chance to answer/narrate. He also wants to do copywork. He isn't reading anywhere near the level of reading WWE1 copywork passages on his own, but he can copy very well. I know because he throws a complete fit if I don't give him some "copy" too when my older is doing copywork/dictation, and he can copy it exactly, even if he can't read most of it. Is there any harm in letting him copy what he can't read? Other than a few reversals (b,d,g) his handwriting is really nice, and he likes to write. I've been giving him simple phonics controlled sentences or one line of a nursery rhyme to copy. Would the WWE1 copywork be too difficult?

I've also noticed that while listening to WWE2/3 passages read aloud he can answer 95% of the questions correctly even if he was playing in the front room while it was read and seemingly not listening.

He wants his own WWE book. He talks about it nearly everyday. My thinking was I could start WWE1 with him. Maybe at a relaxed pace.

I usually tend to think of these books as being better with older and more mature students, but....he really wants one!

So I was thinking I'd order WWE1 for him?

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and keep giving him the copywork that I already do. I think I'll go ahead and get WWE1. I believe it's the story and the questions he wants. And he wants *that* book. Just like big bro's. He wants to answer/talk/narrate. We do Peak With Books so in a way he's used to questions/narrations about the picture books we read aloud. And he's writing all over any scrap of paper he can find lately.

I would just use it at a relaxed slower pace. Sort of have fun with it. I obviously wouldn't push him. This is his idea, not mine. No worries about WWE2 dictation until he's reading well and spelling well.

:bigear: Because this is my 5 y.o. too. My only concern is the spelling/vocab part of dictation when we hit WWE 2. I don't know if he will be able to write those words at 6 y.o.

I'd start anyhow, with WWE1. If they don't do well when WWE2 picks up the pace you can either drop the copywork, re-do WWE1 maybe with the longer assignments, or just use a more CM narration (from Aesop's Fables, say) for 6 mos to a year until the writing catches up.

I found WWE pretty easy to modify in terms of skill expectations but having the preselected passages and questions is so helpful, great stuff I would have a hard time collecting. For example, we started WWE 1 in K but did a bunch of other writing and so didn't finish until just now at the beginning of second. I generally had him do both copywork sentences from the start. Then when he was ready I just had him write his own narration even though now in WWE 2 they haven't even started that (I do own all four levels so I sort of know what skills they are going for next or in the next level). With my son he was more than capable of the writing but we really needed the comprehension questions and to really discuss the stories at that level so I didn't want to skip up. On the other hand, if you get to the next level and the copywork is too long or you don't want to start dictation yet you can do that too. And sometimes a passage will just be too hard, such as Pollyanna he just wasn't ready for. It is no problem to skip for me, or to do something a bit out of order if we are reading that book or doing that subject, and just do the skill level he is ready for at that time. Don't feel you have to do it exactly as scripted - if you see it as great lit excerpts and copywork and dictation and questions all ready to go, you can do whatever you want with it.

Also, just in general about advanced kids, don't worry too much about getting to something too hard or running out of work. If you hit a wall you can change things up then, and you will never run out of material. I also think it is important to let them zoom ahead at their own pace as long as you are aware of making sure you are not pushing and are ready to drop back and switch things up if it is no longer appropriate etc., which if you are asking you seeming to be aware of that issue and should trust your instincts.

I went ahead and got FLL too. If nothing else I can do them at a relaxed pace.

Going to do this too.

I asked a similar question on the K-8 Curriculum Board, and many people told me it was too early. But I really feel like she would enjoy this, and I'm not planning on pushing at all.

I went ahead and got FLL too. If nothing else I can do them at a relaxed pace.

I know FLL has a new edition now, but when my kids were 4(ds) or 5(dd), they did fine with flying through FLL1/2 (it used to be a combined volume) at an accelerated pace. The only thing that would have made it *not* work would have been to go at the very, very slow rate at which it's written. Unless it has changed radically, there's very little writing and a tremendous amount of repetition. Definitely doable by an "accelerated", reading Ker.

I know FLL has a new edition now, but when my kids were 4(ds) or 5(dd), they did fine with flying through FLL1/2 (it used to be a combined volume) at an accelerated pace. The only thing that would have made it *not* work would have been to go at the very, very slow rate at which it's written. Unless it has changed radically, there's very little writing and a tremendous amount of repetition. Definitely doable by an "accelerated", reading Ker.

Good to know. I just bought the combined because I'm not sure (actually I may be pretty positive i won't) I will continue with FLL after the 2nd level.

I guess I'll know better when it gets here if I'll fly through it or shelve it. Either way I'm okay!! Thanks so much for all the encouragement.

DD5 started WWE1 at age 5 when she began kindergarten. She could barely write her name and the first 8 weeks were a stretch with the comprehension questions. Then it clicked. By the end of the year she was writing and the copywork was flowing and WWE2 had been fine this year. Now I am wondering about DS4 who sits in the corner with his legos answering passage questions and shouting back the dictation sentences.

DD5 started WWE1 at age 5 when she began kindergarten. She could barely write her name and the first 8 weeks were a stretch with the comprehension questions. Then it clicked. By the end of the year she was writing and the copywork was flowing and WWE2 had been fine this year. Now I am wondering about DS4 who sits in the corner with his legos answering passage questions and shouting back the dictation sentences.

:lol: Yep. This is my Kinder. It's all my oldest ds can do to get a word in when we do WWE anymore. Actually he's starting to do this with most of my ds's schoolwork. It got to the point that my oldest recently said "GO AWAY!!! This is my school, I don't say the ABCs for you!!"

My Kinder definitely has to be involved in everything.