Menu

Christmas gift ettiquette: help??

I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive mp3 player for Dragon. I'd like to load it with music and audio books of public domain books.

Which is better?

A.) Give it to him empty and load it after he opens it.

Or

B.) Open, load, and then give it to him?

I want to set a good gifting example for the boys. Is there an ettiquette rule for this?

In situations like this, we have charged and set up electronics. Our oldest is 11 and she still wants to open a gift and have it "work". I'd let an older teen, or particular child, set up their own device from brand new. "Etiquette" might dictate giving a gift untampered with so it can be returned.

Since this is your own child, I don't think typical etiquette rules apply. Unless you think he might not like it and you'll have to return it, load it up! I think that would be much more fun.

Hmm... if someone was going to give me an mp3 player, I think I'd like it preloaded with some fun stuff.

Since this is your own child, I don't think typical etiquette rules apply. Unless you think he might not like it and you'll have to return it, load it up! I think that would be much more fun.

Hmm... if someone was going to give me an mp3 player, I think I'd like it preloaded with some fun stuff.

:iagree:

I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive mp3 player for Dragon. I'd like to load it with music and audio books of public domain books.

Which is better?

A.) Give it to him empty and load it after he opens it.

Or

B.) Open, load, and then give it to him?

I want to set a good gifting example for the boys. Is there an ettiquette rule for this?

No, there's no etiquette rule.

Your good example is giving him the gift.

His good example will be to thank you for it.

If you're going to load it with the same stuff whether it's before or after he opens it, my vote is to go ahead and load it before.

I'd set it up. It's more fun if he can use it right away. When we got the kids their Nooks, we had it all set up with books, apps, skins, and covers so they could take them out of the box and go. I'd be frustrated if I got a cool gift like that and couldn't use it right away.