Menu

New City Catechism?

The kids at our church are memorizing the Shorter Catechism (Westminster) and I like it fine. I think I would have a hard time adjusting to the modern language and feel as though I need to constantly scrutinize for "improper nuances" :D.

That being said, I think catechism/confession/systematic theology study is grossly lacking in the modern church, and if a modern version helps improve the situation, I'm all for it.

Hey There :)

This is perhaps similar... with songs, too!! :)

Have you seen Dana Dirksen's material? ;) The songs are pleasant, there are words for them available. You can do downloads, although shipping may be worth it, depending... and it's from Catechism_For_Young_People which I have in .pdf.... and can't be obtained :) Just thought I'd throw this out since it's such a nice combination of song and hard copy :)

Here's the first chunk... just thought I'd throw it out there.. :) And there are a sampling of songs on the site...

CateChism god

1. Who is god? god is the only living and true god. He is the all-glorious, almighty, all-knowing sovereign Creator and Lord of the whole universe. God is perfect, and holy, infinite, eternal, and unchanging. (1 Kings 8:27; Psalm 90:2; 139:7-10; Isaiah 6:3; Jeremiah 23:23-24; Malachi 3:6; 1 Timothy 1:17; James 1:17)

2. Who made god? Nobody made God. (Psalm 90:2) 3. has god ever had a beginning? No, God has always been. (Psalms 90:2,

4. Will god ever die? No, God lives forever. (Psalm 90:2)

5. are there more gods than one? No, there is only one true God. (Isaiah 45:6, 18, 21-22; 1 Timothy 2:5)

6. in how many persons does this one god exist? god exists in three persons. (Matthew 3:16-17; 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14)

7. Who are the three persons of god? The three persons of god are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)

8. Where is god? God is everywhere. (2 Chronicles 2:6; Psalm 139:7-12; Proverbs 15:3)

9. Can you see god? No, God is a Spirit and does not have a body like man; but even though I cannot see God, He always sees me. (Jeremiah 23:23-24; John 1:18; John 4:24)

10. does god know all things? Yes, nothing can be hidden from god. (Job 34:21; Ezekiel 11:1)

11. Can god do all things? Yes, God can do all His holy will. (Matt. 19:26)

I think it's put out by a group that really just wants to become a reformed publishing machine...it's just one more thing we "need" that they publish and I would bet there will be support materials for purchase coming soon. I hate to be so cynical, but the Gospel Coalition has become all about talking theology amongst themselves (Where's the DOING out in the real world? If you search the term "evangelism" on their site, you get ONE result from 2006!) and selling their own books and their own brand of theology. If you look at their Gospel Project curriculum, it's several Gospel Coalition guys writing, advising, and quoting one another ad nauseum. LOL And I say this as someone who visits the site almost daily and enjoys many of the authors. I just feel that they love to have their own vernacular and it's always "Gospel-Something"; I would say that for a while it had an almost exclusive feel but now the term "gospel" has been so DILUTED by overuse that it lessens the impact.

Seriously, we've enjoyed the Westminster Shorter Catechism along with Starr Meade's Training Hearts, Teaching Minds book for years now and see absolutely no need for something "new".