Menu

3 week old congested at night?

My son was NOT congested his first week or so. Then, a week ago the 2 year old caught a cold, and the baby started sounded snotty a bit at night. Seemed better 48 hours later, but then came back again the next night. Now he is still congested, but really only at night. He is having such trouble sleeping at night because he sputters and chokes and sneezes. Which, of course, means I'm not sleeping. He is beside me now in his bouncy seat and still snotting and such. I can't get much out with the bulb syringe, and he HATES it. I did saline drops, and twice last night we hung out in a steamy bathroom, which helps more than anything.

Any thoughts? He sounds miserable when it is happening and is really tired. So am I for that matter.

oh..he just quieted, and now is sleeping in the bouncy seat, thank heaven! (just wish the 2 year old would go back to sleep, so I could sleep!)

Both my boys got congested at 3 weeks old (oh the joys of having a toddler in the house to pass germs around). I took each of them into the doctor and she heard some wheezing, so she got me a nebulizer and some medication to keep their airways open. They'd fall asleep to the whir of the machine and breathe easily for a couple of hours after each treatment.

Both my boys got congested at 3 weeks old (oh the joys of having a toddler in the house to pass germs around). I took each of them into the doctor and she heard some wheezing, so she got me a nebulizer and some medication to keep their airways open. They'd fall asleep to the whir of the machine and breathe easily for a couple of hours after each treatment.

should have mentioned the doctor did listen to him, and was unconcerned. He went in for his 2 week checkup right after this started. It really does just seem to be a tiny bit of mucus in his nose causing all the problems.

I don't know. I'm having the same problem with my almost 2 week old ds and for the same reason (i.e., the 2 year old). I've tried everything, including a little breast milk & nothing has helped. I've been "sleeping" (read closing my eyes and pretending) sitting upright in bed w/ds on my chest. It's the only way he gets any rest.

So, no advice here...just commiseration.

I don't know. I'm having the same problem with my almost 2 week old ds and for the same reason (i.e., the 2 year old). I've tried everything, including a little breast milk & nothing has helped. I've been "sleeping" (read closing my eyes and pretending) sitting upright in bed w/ds on my chest. It's the only way he gets any rest.

So, no advice here...just commiseration.

Ah yes, doing the same in the chair in the living room. He's sleeping fine right now, in the same darned place he sleeps at night. No congestion to speak of. Wish I could sleep, but the 2 1/2 year old dropped her nap when he was born.

I'll throw this out there in case it means something...

One of my kids became stuffy and had a hard time breathing through her nose a few weeks after she was born. And, it didn't get better after a week or so. I took all dairy out of my diet since I was BFing. She cleared up about 2 weeks after I did so.

I'm sure it's just a cold for your little one, but I wanted to share just in case it isn't. :grouphug: Hope he gets better very soon and you can get some sleep!

I just had one more thought. Do you have a baby swing? My first two practically lived in their swing for the first few months of life. Eldest dd wouldn't sleep laying flat on her back, so I put her in the swing all night several times when I just needed to sleep. The combination of being upright and gently rocking might help.