Menu

Human Body Study

justme824

I am planning out a 4-6 week study of the human body (maybe a touch longer, but I notice eyes start to glaze over if we stay in one place much longer than 4-6 weeks). The plan is to use living books & a few science experiments/projects. Just curious if you'd be willing to toss out any must read books or must do experiments :)

Scholastic's Make and Learn Projects: The Human Body is great. You can usually pick up the ebook for a dollar during sales.

A Journey Through Learning makes a fun Inside My Body lapbook, if lapbooks are your sort of project.

We're using Kingfisher's First Encyclopedia of the Human Body as our spine, and rolling the projects and reading around the current topic.

Pandia Press has "Try Before You Buy" samples of their curricula. With the Life Science sample of Real Science Odyssey, you get 9 free lessons, most of which are over the Human Body. Here is a link. There are great experiments to do for the different body systems and one of the introductory pages has additional reading suggestions. There are several pages of material about using the program before you get to the actual lessons, so don't give up, keep scrolling!

Ellen McHenry has a Human Body unit on her free downloads page, and suggests a book to go with it (I found the book at my library). We usually avoid worksheets like the plague, but I actually found these pretty useful, and while Miss P didn't love the worksheetyness, she did learn and retain a lot. One caveat: the book *didn't* answer all the questions on the worksheets; we had another children's human body encyclopedia, and between the two books, she was able to find all the answers. It was actually kind of a good exercise in using different source materials to find out and record information.

I think this book is so cool. Kids learn about different organs and attach them to an outline of their own body as they go. Simple, fun, effective, inexpensive.

:iagree: We did this when my two oldest were 6 and 4. They loved it! I plan to do it next year with the next two kiddos and I suspect that the olders will want to do it again.

My kids all liked making the fruit-candy-jello cell model last year! Gross, but cool. It did help them visualize all the parts and gave them a hook upon which to hang each part's function.

They also liked this video (we watched it a bunch of times): http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/videos/humanbody/circulatorysystem.html There are some other videos and activities on that site too. I want to say that SheppardSoftware.com had some fun games too.

I picked up this book at a library sale or something years ago for super cheap, so I pulled it out, and we looked at some of its details. It's pretty cool because it's SO detailed: http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=002613