Menu

3 year old scared of her bedroom?

My vote goes for an upcoming growth spurt.

We dealt with this by putting them back in their own bed and lying down or sitting with the child until they went to sleep. One of my guys had to have a nightlight on in the room in order to get back to sleep. Soft music played or an audiobook helped them settle down again after waking up.

My sister used to get in my bed if she was scared. My youngest has gotten in to her sister's bed once or twice. I'd tell her to get into a sibling's bed. And locking the door from the outside is not good...we had friends get into trouble with CPS for this (grandma reported them). Kids need to be able to get out in an emergency or to use the bathroom, etc. I'd come up with other ideas to teach them what they can and can't do when they wake up.

I was scared at night as a child--no rational reason, just--fear. I refused to sleep in my own bed until I was probably about your twins' age and my parents made me, but for years after that I was terrified if the door was closed, and I would sleep way down at the foot of the bed with all the covers over me. I grew out of it eventually...

If this were my child I would change the sleeping arrangements so they feel more secure, whatever that requires. The terror may not be rational, but it is very real.

can you put in a baby gate and leave the door open? That may help her feel more secure. I've also heard of people installing a screen door on the doorframe that latches to help tots stay visible, while keeping them safe.

:iagree:It really is a bad habit to lock them in there. It makes the firefighter in me very nervous.

As for the scared part I have no idea.

Could it be night terrors? My daughters had them around that age and it's like they woke up IN a bad dream.

I agree about not locking them in their room. Can you put a baby gate across the doorway and teach them to stay in their room when the gate is in place? (The gate would be more of a visual barrier than physical).

My son had night terrors around that age, maybe a little younger. It was terrifying. He would wake up screaming and nothing would make it better. He would calm down a little in my bed, but even then he was still upset. I just let him sleep with me for a week or so and then gradually got him back to his own bed as he seemed to be getting over it. I never figured out a cause. It was really bad though.

Another one who had a child with night terrors at that age. Ours woke during the night and sometimes would wake upset from naps. Unfortunately our solution (letting the child back into our room) doesn't seem to be an option. But it did work for us and there was a happy, smooth transition to a twin bed in the child's own room eventually.

You're probably tired of hearing this, but I wouldn't lock the doors, either.

I have no idea what happened, but to offer another perspective...

My eldest started being very scared to be in her room at night when she was young. It turns out that it was shortly after we had rearranged her furniture. From her bed, you could see two glowing lights reflecting in her window. They looked like some sort of demon peeking into her room. I felt pretty bad after I figured out what was going on. I hadn't been all that kind and considerate during the sleepless week before we figured it out!