Menu

looking for great animal evolution book w/ pictures

Papillon Mom

We are using the Beginning by Peter Ackroyd, it is cheap on Amazon, but might be a little text heavy for a 7 year old, our library has it, but I felt bad continually checking it out! The pictures are WONDERFUL :D

I also ended up buying Evolving Planet by Erica Kelley, and the timeline and cards from Charlies playhouse.

All of the Walking with documentaries are cool, if a little bit loose with their science.

If you can FIND it, the Smithsonian did a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful coffee table book called Thread of Life about 1982. I spent so many many many hours poring over first the pictures and then the text as a kid. The text will undeniably be far too advanced for her but you could easily let her look at the pictures while you summarize the text.

:bigear:

Not a book, but we have this poster: http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Poster-Print-24x36/dp/B003XRAI90

I think there are two very similar versions of this poster, FWIW. One with Darwin as the final human, and one (the one we have) with a woman. Ours also doesn't have the text box in the bottom left.

That's a cool poster. Where did you get the one with the woman at top?

My son LOVED "Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution" (which we got from the library and is out of print apparently, but available for kindle) and also the cards and timeline from Charlies Playhouse.

oh, and the 'walking with dinosaurs' series, streaming on netflix. Walking w prehistoric monsters, I think, was his favorite - the last one made, the best special effects. Be warned, they are computer graphics made to look like a wildlife show - complete with beasts fighting, dying, being eaten - so not for the faint of heart