Menu

Fall break

Is here. Yes, we are starting our break. I just need to rant a little. Thus far there hasn't been a single new topic introduced in math. They are adding and subtracting to 20, counting to 100... Same as last year. I know enVision is suppose to be a better program out there, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It's so easy that I can't even effectively use it as a review. It feels like a complete waste of time.

Same in English. It feels like we aren't learning anything new. Spelling words are easy, writing is easy, again they are learning nouns and adjectives. Spanish - 3rd year of singing songs and coloring.

I know I need to relax, but I can't. Banks for listening. Everybody around here thinks I am a little nuts. :glare:

It is hard. I have to combat the same feelings each time my girls are introduced to public school classrooms. I am just wondering what the purpose is to all of the remediation. Then, I remember the "No Child Left Behind" and that most of the kids are not anywhere close to having the same academic ability and drive that my child has. Most of us on the Hive have supported learning to such a great extent that the public school will always serve as a disappointment on some level. You can't measure it against what you could or would do. Use it as a tool. Expand topics and develop interests and subject content outside of the normal school day. You will see better growth in your child as a person socially and academically.

Yes, just afterschool. I consider school a great tool for mastery and development. You do not have to be satisfied with the content they present.

BTW, for grammar, I love A Journey Through Grammar Land, and for math, Life of Fred. Both are excellent weekend resources to help develop critical standards for any age. :D

Then, I remember the "No Child Left Behind" and that most of the kids are not anywhere close to having the same academic ability and drive that my child has. Most of us on the Hive have supported learning to such a great extent that the public school will always serve as a disappointment on some level.

I volunteer in the classroom and I would say 95% of kids in our classroom can do what is being asked of them in their sleep. I think kids are much more capable that we give them credit for. Honestly, kids are tired of the same.

I think you are correct on the second balded ;)

Doesn't anybody feel like it takes a year to chew one bite in the elementary school in PS?

I volunteer in the classroom and I would say 95% of kids in our classroom can do what is being asked of them in their sleep. I think kids are much more capable that we give them credit for. Honestly, kids are tired of the same.

I think you are correct on the second balded ;)

Doesn't anybody feel like it takes a year to chew one bite in the elementary school in PS?

Yep. And some private schools too. That's why we afterschool.:D

It is hard. I have to combat the same feelings each time my girls are introduced to public school classrooms. I am just wondering what the purpose is to all of the remediation. Then, I remember the "No Child Left Behind" and that most of the kids are not anywhere close to having the same academic ability and drive that my child has. Most of us on the Hive have supported learning to such a great extent that the public school will always serve as a disappointment on some level. You can't measure it against what you could or would do. Use it as a tool. Expand topics and develop interests and subject content outside of the normal school day. You will see better growth in your child as a person socially and academically.

Yes, just afterschool. I consider school a great tool for mastery and development. You do not have to be satisfied with the content they present.

BTW, for grammar, I love A Journey Through Grammar Land, and for math, Life of Fred. Both are excellent weekend resources to help develop critical standards for any age. :D

:iagree: Well stated. Roadrunner, I know exactly how you feel.

Yep. And some private schools too. That's why we afterschool.:D

I am glad, I am not alone.

But more we afterschool, bigger the gap. I don't think the answer is not to teach anything at home. If we did that my kids wouldn't learn anything in math for at least the next 2 years. What is the answer? :confused: I feel like starting a math club and taking BA books into school and starting a revolution. I don't know.

I don't know that a kid doing BA is going to get anything out of many PS math programs for years (which is good in some ways, and hard in others I'm sure). BA is harder than the math worksheets coming home out of the 4th grade gifted program around here.

I am realizing this slowly. :crying:

Not just doing BA, but flying through it and SM 4A.

I am glad, I am not alone.

But more we afterschool, bigger the gap. I don't think the answer is not to teach anything at home. If we did that my kids wouldn't learn anything in math for at least the next 2 years. What is the answer? :confused: I feel like starting a math club and taking BA books into school and starting a revolution. I don't know.

I've been thinking about this. My advanced reader seems complacent enough with the school situation. I know she could be learning lots more if I made her read challenging stuff at home, but honestly, I wonder if that wouldn't just frustrate her as the gap would keep widening. Right now I see more practicality in having her learn music and foreign languages.

Roadrunner-When I saw your post I wondered if your child was in 2nd grade because we are going through the exact same thing! Our school also uses enVision for Math. My 2nd grader's class is going over, and over, and over adding coins. Really? Also adding digits to 20. Everything he has already mastered. He can multiply and divide in his head, but has to sit and do sheet after sheet of 2 digit addition. I was told that second grade is just a review of first grade. It is a bit frustrating!

Roadrunner-When I saw your post I wondered if your child was in 2nd grade because we are going through the exact same thing! Our school also uses enVision for Math. My 2nd grader's class is going over, and over, and over adding coins. Really? Also adding digits to 20. Everything he has already mastered. He can multiply and divide in his head, but has to sit and do sheet after sheet of 2 digit addition. I was told that second grade is just a review of first grade. It is a bit frustrating!

Yes, he is in second grade! It's a nightmare.

I work at a two elementary schools where EnVision is taught. I am in and out of classrooms every day so I have seen EnVision being taught K-6. I think it is an adequate math program for most, but it is not good for the lowest or the highest students. It is too wordy and spiral for the lowest students while not being challenging at all for the high achievers. Many teachers do not like the program at my schools. My child's school uses Everyday Math. I know it is reviled by many because it has so many weaknesses and I would not be happy if my child used it if I didn't after school. However, for an advanced kid I would rather have my child play math games at school in Everyday Math than do worksheets he already knows how to do. He is only in kindergarten so my opinion might change but even though he is doing SM1A at home, he isn't bored in Everyday Math because the work tends to be open ended. Having seen EnVision kinder math it would be really boring for him to sit through an EnVision lesson and complete a worksheet he already knows how to do.