Menu

Follow up to my "weird medical symptom" thread

I posted this thread yesterday.

I'm pretty irritated. Two crappy things happened today. Number one happened when I called my GP first thing this morning. I haven't been there in two years because I'm followed by a psychiatrist for my bipolar disorder and my gyn does my yearly exam and any blood work I need at that time. I just don't go to the doctor otherwise. I'm pretty healthy. So the receptionist told me that I've basically been dismissed from the practice since I haven't been there in more than two years. I have to now apply to be a new patient, and they are very "selective" about their patient population. WTH?? I didn't get a letter or anything, and I had no idea that's their policy. I'm finding a new doctor.

So I headed up to the Urgent Care. They did a urinalysis which was negative. They did a chest xray and an abdominal xray that were both "ok" according to the PA. So she is treating me for possible intestinal spasms. FOR REAL??? I'm so confused. I know what intestinal spams feel like, and this is not it. She told me to eat a bland diet and not take any NSAIDs, but then turned around and prescribed an NSAID for the pain. When I asked for clarification, she said it is a different class and has no possibility of causing increased bleeding so it would be fine in case there is an intestinal problem. I know that is untrue because my husband was on the same med and had to quit taking it a week before his recent knee surgery because of the possibility of increase in bleeding. I was so frustrated that I almost started crying. She then asked if I wanted her to do liver function tests. The pain isn't even on the same side as my liver, and I have no indications of liver problems. So I said no. She said there was no need for any other blood work. When I became persistent about needing an answer for the numbness, she said that often people will have superficial nerve pain when they have an underlying problem. I call B.S. on that. IF it happens, it's rare, and I have never heard of it in 15 years of being a nurse. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if that's what happening, I'd like to know the underlying problem, ya know?? She said it's not shingles or any kind of nerve/disc problem. She didn't even do a basic neuro exam.

So she prescribed two medications and said for me to take them and "see if they help." I am not in the business of taking medication to test out possible diagnoses. I'd like to know what's wrong and then get some effective treatment. I am pissed and frustrated and tearful. :(

Thanks for listening.

:grouphug: I am going through the same thing with different symptoms. Like you, I don't just take medications without knowing what the real problem is. I'm trying to figure out the next step. I'm thinking I will try a different doctor. This is so frustrating. Good luck. I hope your underlying problem is nothing serious when it is finally figured out.

I just got off the phone with a different family medicine office, and they were very nice and accepting new patients. Of course since I'm not an established patient, I can't get in right away for a "sick" visit. They did get me in pretty quick for a new patient visit: October 18. I guess if this problem doesn't get better, I'll go...I don't know where. I do not usually go to ERs unless there's blood or a broken bone involved.

Sorry you are not having any luck finding out what is wrong. I was nearly dismissed from our family doctor for the same reason. I was totally confused when they said it had almost been 2 years since I had been seen (I was seriously a week or two away). I am always in that office, but I guess it was never for me. I get to go to the doctor when hubby is home, so 9 times out of 10, I end up in the after hours urgent care clinic.

That stinks! The treatment you got at urgent care is truly annoying!!

Our doc dismissed our ds (no letter, just told me when I called the next time he was sick), and I pitched a fit because for the last couple of years, every time one of our kids is sick, the office either tells us they're too busy and to go to urgent care, or they call in an antibiotic if we're confident it's a sinus infection or something. So yeah, he's back on their list of patients, but the urgent care is affiliated with our health care network and most docs are just sending routine illnesses there every time.

Nakia: I'm pretty irritated. Two crappy things happened today. Number one happened when I called my GP first thing this morning. I haven't been there in two years because I'm followed by a psychiatrist for my bipolar disorder and my gyn does my yearly exam and any blood work I need at that time. I just don't go to the doctor otherwise. I'm pretty healthy. So the receptionist told me that I've basically been dismissed from the practice since I haven't been there in more than two years. I have to now apply to be a new patient, and they are very "selective" about their patient population. WTH?? I didn't get a letter or anything, and I had no idea that's their policy. I'm finding a new doctor.

What the heck? I'd be furious and make a complaint somewhere. That is completely ridiculous. We rarely go either.

So I headed up to the Urgent Care. They did a urinalysis which was negative. They did a chest xray and an abdominal xray that were both "ok" according to the PA. So she is treating me for possible intestinal spasms. FOR REAL??? I'm so confused. I know what intestinal spams feel like, and this is not it. She told me to eat a bland diet and not take any NSAIDs, but then turned around and prescribed an NSAID for the pain.

Every single time we have been to an Urgent care, it has been a bad experience in one way or another. I was given an antibiotic I was allergic to, by one guy...and I had told him in detail which classes I could not take. I had a funny feeling about it so called my own doctor later and he said not to take it!

Another time my husband and I both felt bad and it was on a weekend. The lady diagnosed us with "cough". Really? Brilliant! At least she gave us the antibiotics.

My daughter went last year and he just said, "Must be a virus". She did turn out to be fine. At least he helped us out by putting in writing that she had to eat regularly or was at risk for lightheadedness. Her stupid school (at the time) did not permit them ever to eat anything and her lunch was at 10 a.m. She could not get through the day until 4:30, when she got home. So he did help, I guess.

Anyway, they are not the best lot, I've discovered. But any port in a storm, I guess. Do follow your own gut instincts though and push them if you know they are wrong.

When I asked for clarification, she said it is a different class and has no possibility of causing increased bleeding so it would be fine in case there is an intestinal problem. I know that is untrue because my husband was on the same med and had to quit taking it a week before his recent knee surgery because of the possibility of increase in bleeding. I was so frustrated that I almost started crying. She then asked if I wanted her to do liver function tests. The pain isn't even on the same side as my liver, and I have no indications of liver problems. So I said no. She said there was no need for any other blood work. When I became persistent about needing an answer for the numbness, she said that often people will have superficial nerve pain when they have an underlying problem. I call B.S. on that. IF it happens, it's rare, and I have never heard of it in 15 years of being a nurse. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if that's what happening, I'd like to know the underlying problem, ya know?? She said it's not shingles or any kind of nerve/disc problem. She didn't even do a basic neuro exam.

So she prescribed two medications and said for me to take them and "see if they help." I am not in the business of taking medication to test out possible diagnoses. I'd like to know what's wrong and then get some effective treatment. I am pissed and frustrated and tearful. :(

Thanks for listening.

Wow...that doc sounds rather incompetent.

I'll guess a little bit here, but grown-ups aren't my specialty. :D

Sounds like neuralgia to me. Now...as to what is causing it...hmmm...

Is it a side effect of any medication you are on, even if you've been taking it for awhile?

Did the doc-in-a-box check your blood sugar?

Did you injure yourself in any way in the past few weeks? Lift something heavy? Bump into something? Strain your rib or back muscles?

Possible exposure to Lyme?

Kidney issues? Guess that's what the urine test was for, but that won't rule out a kidney problem.

Did she do any bloodwork at all?

If it's still bothering you in a few days, or gets worse, I might consider the ER. At least you'll get the tests done.

Wow...that doc sounds rather incompetent.

I'll guess a little bit here, but grown-ups aren't my specialty. :D

Sounds like neuralgia to me. Now...as to what is causing it...hmmm...

Is it a side effect of any medication you are on, even if you've been taking it for awhile? Not that I know of.

Did the doc-in-a-box check your blood sugar? No.

Did you injure yourself in any way in the past few weeks? Lift something heavy? Bump into something? Strain your rib or back muscles? I cannot think of anything! I've went back over and over the last two weeks and can't remember anything I've done. The heaviest thing I lift is the 10lb babies at work, lol.

Possible exposure to Lyme? I guess anything's possible, but I don't think so.

Kidney issues? Guess that's what the urine test was for, but that won't rule out a kidney problem. I don't think it's kidney issues. I have benign hematuria; I always have 1+ blood in my urine. But other than that, my urine was clear, and I don't think it's anything kidney related.

Did she do any bloodwork at all? Nope.

If it's still bothering you in a few days, or gets worse, I might consider the ER. At least you'll get the tests done.

Please know that a correct diagnosis may take time. I bet the pa said to return if not better. Be patient for goodness sakes. If it becomes an emergency, then go to the ER!

Interesting response. I know that a correct diagnosis could take time. Like I mentioned I am a nurse. I don't expect perfection, but I do go to an URGENT CARE center, it's an URGENT matter, and I expect to be given appropriate care. Of course the PA said to return if not better, but that's another copay, right? Hah. I wouldn't go back to that place if it were the last place on earth. I will go to the ER if it becomes an emergency. I'm not going now; it's not an emergency. Again, that's why I went to the urgent care.

Do you have reflux at all. The pain under your left rib sounds like what was happening with me. Except it was a hiatal hernia and the pain was reflux. Reaction to foods I was eating. Do you eat alot of spicy foods, garlic, sodas, etc?

Sorry to hear your last visit was such a trial. Hopefully you find some relief before the 18th.

Do you have reflux at all. The pain under your left rib sounds like what was happening with me. Except it was a hiatal hernia and the pain was reflux. Reaction to foods I was eating. Do you eat alot of spicy foods, garlic, sodas, etc?

Sorry to hear your last visit was such a trial. Hopefully you find some relief before the 18th.

No reflux or indigestion. I do eat a lot of spicy foods, but I haven't noticed an increase in pain after eating. :/