Menu

Elementary Science Curriculum Recommendation?

vwsmith

My son is in first grade and we're using Apologia Astronomy twice a week. Also we are using AIG's God's Design for Life: Human Body once a week (beginner level) because my son was interested in the human body and I heard Apologia's Elem Anatomy might be too complex for him right now.

We love our AIG Human Body lessons--short, to the point, and engaging. We also supplement with TCR My Body and that adds another element of fun and engaging learning. I know that the Human Body portion of God's Design for Life is only supposed to take 1/3 of the year but spacing it out over a year gives us time to really absorb and discuss it.

I wish I could say the same for Astronomy. My son does enjoy it to an extent, as he loves the idea of space, but I am having a hard time with the textbook. I find the writing to be rather poor in some areas. It almost over explains some ideas which causes confusion and then completely drops a huge concept down with almost no explanation. Thank goodness my son is interested or it would be like pulling teeth. We self-pace and try to do the fun activities (that balloon solar system is probably one of the worst ways to create a solar system but that's a whole other post) but I still dread the textbook. The Jr. Notebooking Journal is nice, but I almost feel like an empty sketchbook would work just as well. I'm pretty bummed because I really wanted to like it.

Anyway, we'll finish it out as best we can but even though I had initially decided to use Apologia through the Elem. years, I must find something else after this experience. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I like Abeka Science 2-6. (I have no experience with the grade 1 text.) They are well-written, God-honoring, engaging, and colorful with appropriate experiments throughout. And they're cheap. You really only need the student text. I'm not a huge fan of Abeka in general, but I think elementary science is an area in which they shine. I have kids in college, science majors, who have fond memories of the Abeka elementary science texts, and I'm still using them with my younger kids.

-Apologia Astronomy is my least favorite of all the Apologia books. The rest are very engaging,

-Elemental Science paired with Real Science Odyssey is very hands on with just enough info to get the point across.

-BJU is great if you want to cover different science subjects. Engaging, hands on, fun.

-Topic study or following an interest is another way to enjoy science but without a curriculum. If you want to do this and include experiments get a Jan Van Cleave Science book to go with whatever you are studying. She has tons of experiment books that are easy to follow and use house hold items. Pair one with library books for a great interest led science.

-Tops Science books, these take about a month to use if you do a lesson a day. Fun and cool science experiments with everyday things.

We are having the same science problem! We have been using Apologia but I don't love it but couldn't put into words why I didn't like it. You put it into words for me! Some concepts are so over explained that we're left completely confused and other concepts and vocab are just thrown in there and we are left lost. I'm not a sciency person and I am struggling with them. I really wanted to love them.

We are using Nancy Larson on the side and it's interesting and very incremental. It's hands on but not full of experiments. At times I think the info is lacking. However, my daughter has awesome retention and none of it is over her head. So that's a nice feeling. It's working for us right now because it's getting done but it will be done this fall and I need something for spring.

I'm looking into Elemental Science with maybe the lapbooking component and adding in some extra reading from living science books. I'm also thinking about trying Sassafras Science in the summer (from the same publisher). It looks like the right amount of info, a few experiments per week (if you do the lapbook with extra ideas), and simple notebook pages that won't be overwhelming for my oldest. I've thought about REAL Science Odysessy but I worry that with a newborn coming I won't get to enough of the experiments to make it worth it for us. I think I need a just 1 or 2 focused experiments per week. So, that's where our search is leading us right now.

I'm surprised I don't love Apologia like I thought I would. :confused: So many people rave about it.

Just wanted to throw in....I really wanted to like Apologia.

But I don't.

I can't stand the way the author "speaks" through the text. I don't want a textbook that talks TO the student via comments like, "Isn't it neat how..." I suppose some folks like that...as it's more "engaging" but I find it to be diminuitive. Just give me the science facts and information. Science is engaging enough, if presented properly.

And is it just me, or is Apologia missing an entire facet of science in the elementary years? Where's the elementary book for Earth Science?

Edited by Sweetpea3829

And is it just me, or is Apologia missing an entire facet of science in the elementary years? Where's the elementary book for Earth Science?

There's a chemistry/physics book coming out next year and a geology/earth science book planned after that.

I too am not loving Apologia Astronomy as much but ds likes it so it's staying for now. We supplement with books on other subjects, SL Discover & Do DVDs and Magic School Bus DVDs/books. I just purchased BFSU to have a look through too.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU) is a complete science program for the K-8 years. Vol. 1, K-2, might be perfect for your son. It covers chemical, biological, physical, earth & space science.

I love this curriculum. I've used it for more than 3 years now. However, it requires forethought and planning on your part - reading and visualizing the lesson beforehand, making sure you have the material on hand. We just finished doing the Density lesson, where ds9 learned how to measure weight and volume, then calculate density, recording all his findings in his science journal.

We're doing Apologia Astronomy, too, and I REALLY don't care for it AT ALL! :lol:

We're going to stick it out for the year, but next year I'm thinking we'll go with REAL Science Odyssey.

Good luck!

Are you familiar with Elemental Science? I'm waffling bettween it and REAL Science? What is it about RSO that you find appealing?

:001_smile:

We're using NOEO Bio 1 this year and so far so good. It fits my personal science goals, which is to introduce science topics through reading, notebooking and the occasional experiment. NOEO is easy to add to and we use Magic School Bus DVDs and library books a good deal in addition to the planned reading schedule.

Are you familiar with Elemental Science? I'm waffling bettween it and REAL Science? What is it about RSO that you find appealing?

:001_smile:

I did look at ES a bit - I really don't know why, but it just didn't strike me the way RSO did.

I'm super helpful, right? :lol: :D

I remember coming across RSO when I was looking at curriculum for this year, too, and considering it. Who knows, I could end up with ES the following year. :tongue_smilie:

We've used a variety. My favorites have been BFSU, RSO, and RS4K. I really liked RSO but found that it seemed like it hit a variety of levels--very basic info in some areas but more complex concepts introduced in others. RS4K seems more consistently "on level"--great science and kid-friendly.

If you have the time and energy to plan it, I think BFSU is worth its weight in gold. This is my plan for ds2. I think he will get more out of this program than anything else--even if we only get science done every other week or so. It's just that good. The big drawback is that it isn't open-and-go, but I think we will be better off planning to do it less often and sticking with BFSU.