Menu

UC science and foreign language requirements

I just found out that my dd's science and foreign language courses from her online charter school are not UC approved. All her other classes are approved. I'm told that there are some requirements that make it preventative in an online environment with UC's current rules and that these classes will simply need to receive the "home school" approval offered by UC. I'm new to homeshooling and am wondering how you all go about meeting the college entrance requirements for science and foreign language? My dd is pretty sure that she wants to do 2 years at a junior college so this may not even be a problem. However, I want to be informed to make sure that the possibility of going on to a 4 year college remains a possibility (if she changes her mind or for my younger daughters). She will not be a science major and is sure about her path in elementary education. Help PLEASE!!!

As I understand it, California is one of the pickiest states about this kind of thing. In Florida, I've never heard of a university system having to "approve" any applicant's classes. And most of our state campuses seem pretty homeschool friendly.

So, I don't know how much help you'll get with the specifics of your question, since it's not a problem many of us have.

Personally, since I don't have to worry about whether a college will approve of my choices, I just plan the best, most rigorous courses I can and make sure I keep good records.

I just found out that my dd's science and foreign language courses from her online charter school are not UC approved.

I am assuming it is CAVA. Our plan is for our boys to take their high school german exam at their German saturday school. That exam is accepted by UCB.

For science, we intend to go for dual enrollment to meet the lab requirements.

The CAVA yahoo group has a few parents that have been there done that and would be able to give you a clearer answer.

My impression is that many at UC and other CA units don't care if they get homeschoolers because they have stereotyped them as fundamentalist Christians doing watered down academics. I know there are some homeschoolers who have been accepted and who thrived. But I remember a science education lecture by the president of Stanford a few years back; he dismissed homeschoolers as not "intellectually curious."

I am preparing for meeting UC requirements by making sure the charter school we use has UC approved coursework. You might need to search around your area and investigate different charter options. The UC website also has a page where you can search high schools and their approved courses.

Another option, if you don't want to switch schools, is having your dc take SAT II exams in the subjects that aren't approved.

Edited by amsunshine

Thanks for all the ideas!

Just a caution for anyone researching charter schools . . . my impression is that this policy applies to all online California charter schools. The school is WASC accredited and all courses, except science and foreign language meet UC requirements. Unfortunately dual enrollment is not an option since we are currently overseas.

Unfortunately dual enrollment is not an option since we are currently overseas.

Another option is for your daughter to take the Cambridge International 'A' and 'AS' level exams where you are now if it is offered. The exams for Biology, Chemistry and Physics have a lab component.

ETA: the Cambridge exams can be used for university admissions and not just for meeting requirements.

Edited by Arcadia in CA

Guest Backcountry Route

I'm only an occasional lurker, but I do have some experience in this area. ;) Right now with an online charter, there's no way to satisfy the science and FL a-g requirements. A parent cannot designate homeschool courses as a-g, either. You can, however, apply to the UCs "by examination alone"--a combination of the SAT and scores on two Subject Tests (one of which should be Math 2, although that's not specified). There is a third option (applying "by exception"), but in my experience, it is difficult if not impossible for a HS applicant to successfully enter this way. In recent years, the top UCs (Berkeley, LA, SD, even Davis) have not been particularly welcoming to hs applicants unless they offer a truly exceptional profile. Riverside does have a specific entry program for HS'ers, if that campus interests your daughter.

Another thing to consider, if your student does take a community college course in a field covered by a SAT Subject Test, they are no longer able to exercise the "entry by examination alone" option. It's confusing. And, I believe, a purposely difficult barrier to entry.

Someone posted on the College Board (subforum, above) that her son was accepted at both Sacramento State (I think) and UC Davis (I think). As an independent homeschooler (I think). You could look through the threads on the subforum.

I also know of some kids who did NOT have all their a-g requirements, but were accepted at UCs anyway. It never hurts to apply! Yes, the UCs are not particularly homeschool-friendly, but there's no point in giving up and not even applying (unless you don't want to part with $70 :) )

I have also posted on these boards with the link for clearing a-g requirements via AP, IB, SAT2, and CC classes. I don't have time to look for it again, but we've had similar discussions in the past (quite recently) -- you could search for UCs, California, a-g, etc. But the lurker is right; a CC class will throw a monkey wrench into the process. It remains to be seen how my son will fare in a year from now when he applies to a UC or two, as he's taken every advanced math class our CC offers ...

Someone posted on the College Board (subforum, above) that her son was accepted at both Sacramento State (I think) and UC Davis (I think). As an independent homeschooler (I think). You could look through the threads on the subforum.

I think this is the thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?p=3022390

And another:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?p=2346232

Another option is for your daughter to take the Cambridge International 'A' and 'AS' level exams where you are now if it is offered. The exams for Biology, Chemistry and Physics have a lab component.

ETA: the Cambridge exams can be used for university admissions and not just for meeting requirements.

A and AS level exams can usually be taken at the British Council, which is normally attached to a British embassy or consulate.

Laura

UC does not accept online science or online art courses. I've talked with UC admissions regarding how to work around this problem.

SOLUTION: After taking the online science or art class plan to take either the AP exam or if the AP exam isn't offered for your course take the SAT Subject test.

Your charter school or online school should keep you informed as to whether or not the UC system accepts the classes they offer for the A-G requirements.