Menu

"key to" for high school math?

I'm waiting to hear on a blessing and thinking ahead.

Have any of you used the Key To series for math for your high schooler? What was your experience?

If you don't think it's a good idea then what would you suggest? I'm not the brightest bulb beyond algebra and would prefer it not be on the computer.

I am going to see if I saved the email I got from the "keys to" people. I wrote and asked them if it was good enough. I can't remember the exact wording, and I don't want to get it wrong. I will dig in my emails and see if I saved it.

Middle son (who was dyslexic and was usually overwhelmed by schoolwork) loved using the Key to series, so he completed them for Algebra I. He loved the simplicity of the pages - and I think that the way its broken up into 10 thin booklets make the subject seem less overwhelming.

I heard many stories about how it could only be considered a "pre-algebra" program, so I asked my friend (a math teacher) what she thought. She said that it covered all the important Algebra I concepts, so I decided it would work for us. He then went on to study Saxon Algebra II in a coop class and did fine.

Perhaps it wouldn't be the most ideal for a student that is wanting the most "rigorous" algebra program. But it was the best for our situation because it was the style of presentation that he needed.

There IS a standard... and the Key to Books do not meet that standard. They Key to Algebra texts come about half-way into a traditional or 'standard' Algebra 1 course.

They are gentle--and half of a course that they understand is better than no course at all--but you are doing your student a disservice if you call it a complete full-credit high school course.

The Key to Algebra texts are equivalent to what my Honors Pre-Algebra students will cover--but they are quite a bit further along than what my Basic College Math students (standard Pre-Algebra) will cover.

Cathy Duffy is nice--and I appreciate her reviews--but she is NOT a Math teacher and does not know what the standards are. She has not used the actual programs.

College high school 'requirements' are based on a pre-set national standards. Each state has a bit of flexibility with those standards but not much. Sure-- the standards are what PUBLIC SCHOOLS must follow-- what the PUBLIC SCHOOL texts must include as a MINIMUM-- but since that covers the MAJORITY of high school students in our country this is the 'standard' we have.

I have had way too many students in my 'standard' Algebra 2 class come from programs popular with homeschoolers that were NOT up to standards-- they are the ones who struggle. Some can move on-- but many end up re-doing Algebra with a stronger text.

I'm not talking about RIGOR-- I'm talking about standard EXPECTED concepts.

Calling a program 'Algebra 1' that does not prepare a student for Algebra 2... I just can't go there. There will always be a FEW students who use a program like the Key To Algebra who move seamlessly into Algebra 2--but these are very very much the exception.

The Key to Geometry is an upper-elementary level introduction to Geometry. Nothing more. As a supplement it can help 'bridge' elementary and high school Geometry.

So then what would be up to standards and still easy for me to teach? As in something that doesn't require a computer or a lot of know how. I don't want to mess them up.

It was my thinking that it would be, if not considered complete by the Hive, then at least a warm-up for them and a refresher for me.

I. Am. Terrified. Of. Higher. Math.

So then what would be up to standards and still easy for me to teach? As in something that doesn't require a computer or a lot of know how. I don't want to mess them up.

It was my thinking that it would be, if not considered complete by the Hive, then at least a warm-up for them and a refresher for me.

I. Am. Terrified. Of. Higher. Math.

Get. Over. It. :D

Seriously, you've now spent years covering arithmetic and the foundations of algebra. The gaps that likely caused you so much trouble the first time around, so much that you fear higher math, are likely mostly gone. You'll face the beast expecting a dragon but instead will find a puppy.

That's what's happened with me. Algebra I is not a big deal. Don't let your fears guide you with this. Run through the Key to Algebra book yourself, use it as a primer for the kids, move on to a solid algebra text then pm me so I'll know when to say, "I told you so!"

:iagree: 100% with Jann, who has said it far better than I would have. I also agree with wishbonedawn.

scrapper, there wouldn't be anything wrong imo with doing it intended as PRE-Algebra, as a warmup for them and a refresher for you. But you've really got to do one of the following:

a) re-learn higher math yourself, preferably a little ahead of your students.

b) get a computer program that teaches it reasonably well.

c) sign them up for online classes.

d) pay someone else to teach them in person.

e) be lucky enough to be the parent of kids who can self-teach.

You're the only one who knows whether e) will actually work, but kids who really can completely self-teach are more rare than their parents would like them to be.

If it helps, I worked alongside ds doing my own work using TT Pre-Algebra and Algebra I. Ds loved it. I liked to re-learn the old concepts and it helped me see if there was a problem ds was having and I could help correct. Ds is finishing up TT's Geometry. The TT tutorial CDs are very user friendly. But it sounds like you do not want a computer program?

I'm waiting to hear on a blessing and thinking ahead.

Have any of you used the Key To series for math for your high schooler? What was your experience?

If you don't think it's a good idea then what would you suggest? I'm not the brightest bulb beyond algebra and would prefer it not be on the computer.

I did find the email the I got from the Keys To people. It said that while they were aware that people used them *as* and Algebra course, the intention was as a *supplement* or a pre-Algebra.

But you've already gotten pretty strong answers to the question. With that in mind, we have been struggling like no tomorrow with Algebra and my son is working his way through the Keys To books, to get back to his foundation. I will have to find something for him to do after the Keys booklets, and I am considering CK12. I like their other materials, and want to give them a shot. There are also Khan academy videos to go with many of the CK12 exercises.

I wish you luck in finding something that works for you and your children. I understand where you are with that fear of math thing, really I do :)

You could do Saxon. It's not exciting, but it's pencil & paper & gets the job done. Also, there are several companies that make explanatory DVD lessons if you find you are having trouble.

You could do Lial's. It's also pencil & paper & also a popular choice. Older editions and teacher manuals are easily found on Amazon or anywhere else used textbooks are sold - our local Half Price Books usually has a couple.

Maybe you could do Discovering Algebra by the same company that makes the Key to books. I don't know how far it goes in topics though. They also have the Discovering Geometry series as well.

Another option if you really want a paper and pencil method. Algebra A Fresh Approach (this is a full series that goes from Algebra 1, to Algebra 2, and geometry). Lots of explanations in the books, no computer needed.

Here is the link: http://www.aplusses.com/zencart/textbooks-c-1.html

You can also buy it at Rainbow Resource.