Menu

leaving the lovely Singapore math - need help

Caribbean Queen

The Home Instructors Guides make my eyes glaze over. That is my one and only problem with Singapore Math. I have been making up my own lessons since 1A and now it's getting tough. I am ready to switch to another program which is self teaching or has better teacher's manuals. What can I use after we finish 4B until we get to Jacob's algebra?

Teaching Textbooks is too expensive for me.

Saxon and CLE have way too many problems and I have gotten the impression it is not advisable to skip problems.

The samples of Rod and Staff math for the upper grades looks depressingly boring. Sorry. (I like their history and will order their science, though!)

I own a MCP Math teacher's Manuel for 6th grade. I could get the workbook cheaply and teach it easily. Is it good enough? Would we need something else before Jacob's?

Would Developmental Math work?

I don't want to print worksheets. Does Math Mammoth come in workbooks? Would it be easy to skip problems? We don't need much repetition and drill.

MM would seem to be the obvious answer for this situation. The instruction is much like Singapore (Asian-style, mastery) but it's an all-in-one worktext (workbook and textbook together) with no teacher manual. Lots of word problems. Inexpensive.

It's easy to skip problems. Indeed, the author recommends that on pages with lots of problems, you only assign some fraction of them.

The pages are a little more crowded than Singapore. The instruction is a little more incremental (smaller bites).

Placement gets a little wonky where you're at. Look at the TOCs and placement tests and skip whatever you need to.

If you don't want to print, you can buy it printed and bound.

Yes, you can purchase Math Mammoth as workbooks at lulu.com or from Rainbow Resources. And yes, you can skip problems when needed if a concept has been acquired. When I used it for a bit, I found it was flexible; you could cover one idea in a day, or just assign the front and back of one page in a day.

I'll ditto the Math Mammoth recommendation. The two are very similar, so it's easy to switch from one to the other. Just assign the number of problems you think your child needs. There are way more available than Singapore, but it's fine to CUT THEM OUT. :D We usually did half the problems in MM, and that made it more like the amount Singapore has.

Have you seen Study Time Math. I've been taking another look at it.

I have the full grade 3 and just the student workbook for grade 5. Without seeing the Schoolaid 1 and 2 and the grade 4 workbook, I think I might have misjudged it. I know the Climbing to Good English series needs to be viewed in it's entirety to see how good it is. There isn't a lot of repeating of material that was expected to be mastered already. The workbooks are completely open and go written to the student, in daily lessons.

Teachers are expected to work through the Amish curricula themselves, and they do teach, but there are accommodations for the teaching. For the math, the student starts math without teaching, but teaching takes place later on in the day. Difficult lessons are pre-taught in the days before. The upper grade English is set up so the teacher can teach 2 grades at the same time.

Have you considered just using the Singapore textbook/workbook without the HIG? I know some people insist you need it, but as long as you do some hands-on things every once in awhile and review mental math, I think you could do Singapore without the HIG. I like the HIG sometimes, but other times I feel like it is making us plod slowly through when we could just move along. :001_smile:

• 1 month later...

We started with Singapore math and loved it. Well, I loved it. As a math tutor I thought it was brilliant. However my daughter is not a math tutor and she hated it and started feeling like she was terrible in math. We have switched to Math Mammoth and love it. This time we both love it (different child this time). It has the strengths of mental math that I loved about Singapore. We skip problems all the time when she understands a concept.