Menu

Can the school district do this? (TX)

There is a long backstory, but I'm not sure that applies. The short story is that Liam is being pulled from the local public school on Monday and I will homeschool for the foreseeable future. DH is deployed and I will be travelling to NC to visit with family for a few months.

The school just called to confirm that Monday is his last day (tried to convince me to public school him in NC) and then said if I'm homeschooling, I need to fill out some forms. She then said that if he does return to the public school this year (a slight possibility) I would need to track his grades and report all that to the district. I reminded her that in TX there is no need to report since I'm considered a private school and she said that for this district, I would need to.

I'm not saying she's wrong but I'm confused on why this is if the state doesn't require me to do anything. I'm not planning right now on keeping formal grades or anything since this is 2nd grade, our first year of homeschooling, and we're dealing with our fourth deployment and probably overseas move in the spring.

I'm also not really planning on returning to the school but the Army has left some things up in the air with us and I would like my options kept open. Do I need to go ahead and start grading/reporting/tracking/etc.?

***also, as a side note: while DH is deployed, I plan to stay with my parents in NC for anywhere from 2 - 4 months. Our residency is still here. Do any military families know if, in this instance, I would need to follow NC's rules due to the length of time that I will be there?

Thanks in advance. I'm VERY curious to see this paperwork she's sending home. Ugh!

Oh yeah...that was the other thing. I really don't want to fill out the paperwork just based on dang principle.

Yeah... I'd go with your principle. Many argue that complying above and beyond what the law requires just sets districts up to think they can get away with it. I mean, what are they planning on doing when you don't return the forms? They have no recourse...

You do not need to do any of her paperwork. If everything has been verbal, though. I would send a written note that you are withdrawing him to homeschool--just to avoid truancy issues.

You do need to check on NC, though. 4 months is long enough that you may be required to follow their homeschooling laws.

There is a long backstory, but I'm not sure that applies. The short story is that Liam is being pulled from the local public school on Monday and I will homeschool for the foreseeable future. DH is deployed and I will be travelling to NC to visit with family for a few months.

The school just called to confirm that Monday is his last day (tried to convince me to public school him in NC) and then said if I'm homeschooling, I need to fill out some forms. She then said that if he does return to the public school this year (a slight possibility) I would need to track his grades and report all that to the district. I reminded her that in TX there is no need to report since I'm considered a private school and she said that for this district, I would need to.

I'm not saying she's wrong but I'm confused on why this is if the state doesn't require me to do anything. I'm not planning right now on keeping formal grades or anything since this is 2nd grade, our first year of homeschooling, and we're dealing with our fourth deployment and probably overseas move in the spring.

I'm also not really planning on returning to the school but the Army has left some things up in the air with us and I would like my options kept open. Do I need to go ahead and start grading/reporting/tracking/etc.?

***also, as a side note: while DH is deployed, I plan to stay with my parents in NC for anywhere from 2 - 4 months. Our residency is still here. Do any military families know if, in this instance, I would need to follow NC's rules due to the length of time that I will be there?

Thanks in advance. I'm VERY curious to see this paperwork she's sending home. Ugh!

Public school officials rarely know what the law is when it pertains to homeschooling.

There is one law for all school districts in the state of Texas. Actually, it's a court case, not a law, but the affect is still the same. :) This district does not have the authority to require private schools, which includes homeschoolers, to report anything, ever. The very idea is ludicrous. Sadly, they may be encouraged to continue this kind of tripe because they've been able to bamboozle other parents into reporting. :glare:

Be very cautious about any forms. Refuse to sign anything that in any way implies that you're getting permission or are somehow under the jurisdiction of the school district. In fact, you might consider not going back at all (as long as you're sure you don't have any school texts or library books or anything) and just mailing a letter stating that your ds is withdrawn. Send it certified, return-receipt. Do NOT initiate any further contact with the district.

If he were high school-age, of course you would keep track of grades and whatnot, but for a 7yo? Uh, no. If you decided at some point to enroll him in school, it would be good to do a standardized test so that the school has some idea what to expect, KWIM? But keeping track of grades and stuff for a child this young is definitely not necessary.

Whether you have to obey NC laws since you're going to be there for such a short time is a legal question. If you were going to be there longer, then yes, you should, but for just a couple of months? Hmmm...

I can't imagine that you would need to contact NC about homeschooling because you said you were keeping your residency and not moving to NC. I would just consider it an extended stay. Will you be changing your drivers license and car insurance? Then you aren't establishing residence. Why would you need to do paperwork in NC for homeschooling? That's about residence, isn't it?

If you were going to be there longer, then yes, you should, but for just a couple of months? Hmmm...

I'm sorta thinking you wouldn't since your place of residence will still be Texas. I mean, if anyone were to question you, couldn't you just say we are here visiting but are from Texas, and in full compliance with Texas law? Would anyone even know the length of time you are there outside of family?

I'm sorta thinking you wouldn't since your place of residence will still be Texas. I mean, if anyone were to question you, couldn't you just say we are here visiting but are from Texas, and in full compliance with Texas law? Would anyone even know the length of time you are there outside of family?

This has been my thought. I will be there from next week until Thanksgiving at minimum. That's a no-brainer. We are Texans for sure. From Dec. - Feb, our household goods should be headed to the UK, but our residency is still with DH in TX...even if we stay longer in NC visiting family. We are not changing licenses or anything. Just a mailing address. In fact, our residency really isn't technically the house we're in now. As military, we declare residency with the house we own in central TX (we're in west TX now).

Yes, but unfortunately I am not 100% positive residency applies here. I remember hearing, for example, that if you visit NYC for more than a month you are required to enroll your children in school. I think that this has to do with issues like migrant workers who move frequently. However, I don't have anything to link that speaks to this. I just think it's worth looking into so the op doesn't get hit unexpectedly with truancy charges in NC.

All it would require in NC, I believe, is a notice of intent, and a notice of termination (ie letting them know you moved.)

I wouldn't give you Texas district anything. Remember that in some states 30 consecutive days means residency of that state. While traveling with the kids, we just made sure to cross state lines and get a receipt from somewhere to prove it. So that we kept our Texas residency. ;-) If you leave state then remember, it isn't 30 consecutive days. heheh We traveled all over for years this way. I love Texas laws. ;-)

Edited by StartingOver

I pulled my eldest out of PS to Homeschool while we were living in Texas (also military) - I didn't sign any paperwork. Actually, you aren't even required to tell them your plans to homeschool. Sign anything the school gives you with caution. Know that you are not legally required in TX.

As for NC, I'm not sure if you'll be required to follow laws in that state; however, I understand that NC has minimal requirements, and shouldn't be bothersome at all. It may be best to send in your notice of intent just to have all of your bases covered.

Best wishes during your husbands deployment, we've been through two 12 month rotations, and one coming up next year.

I pulled my kids from public school in Plano, TX, and signed a paper at the front office stating I am withdrawing them in order to homeschool them. Since your child in already in the public school then you have to sign a paper to remove him. However, next year you do not have to file or sign anything. Also you do not have to report anything to anyONE at all, so they don't know what they're talking about.

So, you will then be homeschooling your child and spending a few months in NC... no problem and nobody's business. Don't get involved in NC's rules since you're a resident of TX who is homeschooling her child legally there.

If you are a resident of Texas then you should follow their regulations. If you are only visiting, even an extended visit, to another state I would not think you have to file with them. We travel all the time and have taken extended visits with family but always complied with our home state's regulations.

My mother has a neighbor who homeschools (and lives in) in one state but maintains residency in another state. She notifies to and follows the regulations for the state they have residency in. I don't know if the way they do it is necessarily the correct way but that is what they do.

You do need to withdraw him so he is not truant. You do not have to tell them you are homeschooling or sending him to Timbuktu. The only thing you would have to sign would be if you were enrolling him in another school and needed his records sent.