Menu

Neighbor dog advice

Awesome call, I just found our noise ordinance and it looks like I can call based on that! Thank you! And generally yes, I'd consider shooting pets a last resort. It just makes me remember the brouhaha over Scarlett's post.

Well, you have to define 'shooting'. I didn't want to kill the dumb dog. I just wanted to shut it up.

I really value peace and quiet. It would make me insane to put up with that. We live in a very dog infested neighborhood (I own one too) and I love dogs, but all my neighbors seem to have good sense about not letting them bark.

I'm not sure animal control or the police are honestly going to care about this. Animal control might come out, but if the dog is contained, has access to food and water, and has shade, I doubt they will do a thing. If you live in a sleepy town, the police might at least speak to the owners. Here, the police are pretty busy. If the dog hasn't gotten in your yard, I don't think they will take it seriously, especially since it sounds like the barking is during the day. Middle of the night barking might be addressed more vigorously.

I would write a letter to the owner expressing my concerns about the dog, his attempts to get out of the yard, and the growling. I would describe the behavior. I would put in the letter that I am giving them legal notice that I consider the dog dangerous and that I am keeping the letter on file in case legal action is warranted. I would send it certified mail.

They may ignore it, and you won't make friends this way, but it also might make them realize that there are liability issues here.

Sometimes when I read these threads, I think that some people have not dealt with the sorts of neighbors we have dealt with. We lived in one neighborhood where a guy would walk a pit bull down the street unleashed. He would make it attack a rope and whip it with a stick if it didn't bite the rope. I saw animal services talking with him multiple times... but for some reason, he was always out with his dog again afterwards. Anyways, a conversation about walking his dog to make it less aggressive... or meeting the dog... probably wouldn't have ended so well.

I'd try the birdhouse thing. Maybe some dog training expert could chime in on using that and throwing a treat over the fence if he got quiet would help reinforce the behavior? I'd be more than willing to throw several slices of cheese over the fence if it would end the behavior.

I can't imagine police or animal control doing anything here about it... but maybe calling and asking for advice wouldn't hurt.

Do dogs really have food allergies?

Maybe you should pm the dog shooter for more ideas...

I'm not sure animal control or the police are honestly going to care about this. Animal control might come out, but if the dog is contained, has access to food and water, and has shade, I doubt they will do a thing. If you live in a sleepy town, the police might at least speak to the owners. Here, the police are pretty busy. If the dog hasn't gotten in your yard, I don't think they will take it seriously, especially since it sounds like the barking is during the day. Middle of the night barking might be addressed more vigorously.

I agree. Unless your municipality has some unusually strict animal control laws, if the dog is behind a six-foot tall, well built fence, my guess is AC isn't going to bat an eye at the fact that he growls at you and your kids.

Absolutely. They're not nearly as common as flea bite allergies and inhalant allergies (pollens, molds, etc.), but they're far from uncommon. A reaction to a trigger food can cause a dog to be in misery for days.

Edited by Pawz4me

Sometimes when I read these threads, I think that some people have not dealt with the sorts of neighbors we have dealt with. We lived in one neighborhood where a guy would walk a pit bull down the street unleashed. He would make it attack a rope and whip it with a stick if it didn't bite the rope. I saw animal services talking with him multiple times... but for some reason, he was always out with his dog again afterwards. Anyways, a conversation about walking his dog to make it less aggressive... or meeting the dog... probably wouldn't have ended so well.

I'd try the birdhouse thing. Maybe some dog training expert could chime in on using that and throwing a treat over the fence if he got quiet would help reinforce the behavior? I'd be more than willing to throw several slices of cheese over the fence if it would end the behavior.

I can't imagine police or animal control doing anything here about it... but maybe calling and asking for advice wouldn't hurt.

Maybe you should pm the dog shooter for more ideas...

To be honest I kinda felt like I'd entered the Twilight Zone with lots of suggestions about meeting and walking and playing with the dog. I'm not sure why people who are completely unreceptive to having the dog not bark a ton at night would care about this.

And so many people missed I didn't really care about the barking so much as the attempting to jump the fence.

Whichever, there were some helpful comments and some funny ones.

I agree. Unless your municipality has some unusually strict animal control laws, if the dog is behind a six-foot tall, well built fence, my guess is AC isn't going to bat an eye at the fact that he growls at you and your kids.

Absolutely. They're not nearly as common as flea bite allergies and inhalant allergies (pollens, molds, etc.), but they're far from uncommon. A reaction to a trigger food can cause a dog to be in misery for days.

We don't have strict animal control laws. At all.

I'd heard that about dog allergies and I have zero desire to do something that could hurt the dog. This isn't the dog's fault, at all.

I don't have any good advice about the daytime stuff. But, here is what worked for us for the barking at night. The people have to be home though.

We used an airhorn. At 9:30pm after an hour and a half of barking we went outside and tooted our little air horn. The people came out immediately and you heard a yelp as they dragged the dog inside. We laughed so hard!

I don't have any good advice about the daytime stuff. But, here is what worked for us for the barking at night. The people have to be home though.

We used an airhorn. At 9:30pm after an hour and a half of barking we went outside and tooted our little air horn. The people came out immediately and you heard a yelp as they dragged the dog inside. We laughed so hard!

:tongue_smilie: I love it!

And so many people missed I didn't really care about the barking so much as the attempting to jump the fence.

That's the part that is most concerning to me, too, because eventually he's going to get lucky and make it over that fence -- or end up stuck halfway over it, and then you won't know how to help him get down without getting bitten.

When I was a kid, we had a beagle who could scale a high fence, so it's amazing what a determined dog can do, given enough time and ambition.

I like the air horn idea, but if you decide to try it, why not let your other neighbors in on the fun? Three or four air horns would be better (and louder) than just one, and it would also be a good show of solidarity that might make your neighbor take his dog's barking more seriously.

I would venture to guess that like me, most did not miss that the jumping at the fence was a big issue. The idea would be to get the dog to either be scared away or calmed down. The barking and jumping are symptoms of the same problem. I would be hard pressed to think of a way to stop the jumping without stopping the barking.

Also, the fake birdhouse thing that has been suggested, if it worked, would stop both. It isn't just about the barking, but that is what sets off those things.

I suppose a motion detecting sprinkler could work too. That would rely on the dog jumping visibly above the fence enough to set off a motion dectector you'd have. Then it'd get sprayed. I've heard of people using those to keep cats out of sandboxes/gardens, but it might work for your needs as well. Depends on if there is enough visible movement to set the thing off.